Offbeat split flex tail 6/4 fin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Offbeat split flex tail 6/4 fin

Post by crox »

Some new photos of the board in the album -

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14562

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14561

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14560

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14559

Shots before high density foam insert [& three photos before this one]-

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14291

The shaped blank [& previous 2 shots]-

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14110

I've now surfed the board....report so far -

The first surf was in 2 feet weak swell...I had the larger fins in [as in the shots before the insert] the board felt stiff!....but what I gained from this outing was the knowledge that its a case of demand & supply....you need a wave with a bottom to get a return out of the board....my other feeling was that the slot [before the insert was added] was gripping the water in turns [part of the cause of the stiffness]......this was not the case in a bottom turn [just the odd wave] where the long projection didn't argue with it!

The board has now been totally transformed & is far better than I could have hoped for.The two front fins are still the same but the rear 4 are smaller.....& six fins work! I surfed it yesterday in 3 - 4 feet light onshore conditions....& it was a completely new feeling!.......FLOW!....the board just bent to where I wanted it to go....so smooth....it feels alive......no sense of separation of board & wave...just amazing smooth suspension....no effort or imbalance in cutbacks & smooth floaters.....it makes me realise how much a conventional design argues about the direction in which you wish to make it go.
I would love to get it in a reeling point break.....just to make the feeling last longer...just load & release.

I'm thinking about fixing a spring bridge on the deck between the two tails.....I would insert fixings [in the same way as a deck plug] that could be screwed into....& have a selection of different strength bridges.....for really powerful surf, a strong bridge so that at full stretch the buried tail rail could start to receive strength from the other tail. This would also have the benefit of strengthening the tails if a heavy lip impacted the bottom [the weakest spot]

The insert is closed cell high density foam & is glued in place...& doesn't inhibit the flex at all.

The turning ability also opens up the possibilty of wider tails & straighter outline....boards that fly in weaker waves but will readily turn....tuning the flex would be important here.

Just can't wait for the next decent swell.....much fun to come tuning fins & flex....hope to get some shots of it surfing.
mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)

offbeat split flextail

Post by mark ricketts »

crox
i'm speechless - what a fabulous bit of work. is the flex simply the natural blank flex? are there any stringers? there are enough variables in that one board to screw with your head for life.
my outer island / mitchell rae flexie used carbon fibre and its still in perfect condition after 10 years - i wish the rest of the board was in as good condition as the flex panel. its quite stiff compared to the last of the greenough spoons but who wants to sand down a work of art!
keep us all up-dated as you get your head around your creation. I dips me lid!
crox

Post by crox »

Hi Mark, thanks for your comments :)

The standard stringer runs from the slot to the nose.
Added suspension in the form of inset rovings as shown in this shot -

album_showpage.php?pic_id=14110

The variables are going to take a lot of testing :D ....got to think of a suitable material to make the spring bridge from.

Fins are going to be very interesting because they will have so much less work to do to steer the board.
stu

Post by stu »

Chris
It sounds like it's getting better and better Glad the foam insert worked can't wait for the next instalment
stu :D
Best bit rediscovering my Knee's
crox

Post by crox »

Hi Stu :)

I'm really pleased to have found something that provides such a different feel from the wave.

I need to get to know it as it is set up now to understand it more....I think I could surf it every day for a year & set it up differently each time!

The charts don't look good at the moment though :roll:
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Great work Crox, I can't wait for some pictures in clean 6ft. face surf. Should be a good test aye :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) crox looks and sounds like a fun board
cant wait to see some photos video of you and the board in action in action
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Well done Chris.

So Cornwell(wall) isn't the kneeboard antipodies after all :)

PS your webcam is all dark here.... ;)
Marky vee
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Marky vee »

Crox
Thats a very interesting approach, and one that will surely only work on a kneeboard (standups eat your hearts out!)
Must have been a bit of a bitch to glass and sand that 'butt crack'!
It will be interesting to see how the 'hinge' area of the deck stands up to repeated flex cycles, maybe some carbon tapes bridging that area could be in order?
Fin configuration could be even more interesting, on a point wave, you really could set up assymetric fins, 2 fins spaced apart on the bottom turn, 3 on the top turn side?
Keep us updated on the progress.
Cheers
Mark
Kev

Post by Kev »

A board that will twist and flex may have similar properties to the split flex tail
Marky vee wrote:... and sand that 'butt crack'!...
:o
sounds painful
crox

Post by crox »

Just to keep this thread updated....latest 4 fin flextail -

album_showpage.php?pic_id=24398

album_showpage.php?pic_id=24398&mode=prev#TopPic

album_showpage.php?pic_id=24397&mode=prev#TopPic

album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=24395

album_showpage.php?pic_id=24412

This was number 2 flextail 4 fin......flex without split....I turned it into a split tail & it went better still! -

album_showpage.php?pic_id=19352

album_showpage.php?pic_id=19353&user_id=102
krustyknee

Off Beat

Post by krustyknee »

Crox
Does Off Beat Kneeboards have a webb site?
I'm very keen to get my hands on a carbon quad
Krusty Australia
crox

Post by crox »

I don't have a website at the moment krustyknee......these boards are still in development....so none for sale yet.....some different materials to try first.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

krusty i can make ya one AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!