Retro Twin Fish KB Shaper Who KBs in San Diego Area?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Jacksquid
Local (More than 25 post)

Retro Twin Fish KB Shaper Who KBs in San Diego Area?

Post by Jacksquid »

:?: I'm looking for twin-fin fish kneeboard to be shaped by someone who actually kneeboards in the San Diego area. If anyone has any recommendations for someone who might shape in the Steve Lis style with a good business reputation, I'd love to get a board made by them.

I know there are surfboard shapers who shape nice KBs, but I had an experience that was otherwise. Reminded me of the quote: "Never buy a fur from a vegetarian."

Thanks,

Jacksquid
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

I didn't know until I looked.....but Ron Romanosky will shape you a twin fin fish: http://www.romanoskykneeboards.com/html ... icing.html. He's not right in San Diego, but he's as close as anybody else I know of. I've been happy with the boards I've gotten from him. Can't hurt to give him a call, he's a good guy to deal with.
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Its a bit of a haul from San Diego but John Mel, owner/shaper/KBer of Freeline Design surf Shop in Santa Cruz, has been shaping KBs since the 1960's and still makes a really nice fish.

The website needs a 'bit' of work but here it is:
http://www.freelinesurf.com/index.html
Thats John backdooring Tahiti, not his son Peter as the roll-over states.
How's that for a kneeboarder standup surfing?!!!!

I'm sure you can find a KB shaper right out your backdoor who can easily craft what you want. You might want to hit the Gathering at Salt Creek in a week or so and check out the variety of KB designs that are being ridden. You can really get a good feel as to what the newer designs can do by watching all those accomplished KBers in the water!
kbing since plywood days
WillP

Post by WillP »

I used to have a Twin Fin made by Romanosky and it worked really well. Joel Mayer, the photog that's been taking pics at the recent gatherings, has had a few of them too and he seemed pretty stoked on them. Romo is definitly worth consideration if you're looking for a good twin fin.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Check with Eric Schoelkopf in the Vista-Oceanside area. #760-941-8339
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksquid

Local KB shaper who KBs

Post by Jacksquid »

The prompt and plentiful advice is much appreciated. After smoking it over, I will probably follow up with Romo, Blast, and Eric, and whoever generates the best vibe is the one I will select. I have seen Pavel's stuff and like it, but I heard his boards sometimes take 6 mos. or more (I'm not that patient).

If possible, I would like to support someone locally. However, I'm not too scientific when it gets down to the final decision, as it will mostly be a matter of who is a good listener and who seems to want the job.

Hope you all got a little shack time with the recent swell. Just spent the weekend at Pitas Pt. and it was definitely pumping.

Thanks again,

Jacksquid
joe

Post by joe »

Go to The Green Room in Ocean Beach (san diego), just across the street from the main lifeguard tower. Rich Pavel (Toby) can build you a classic fish. If you're willing to wait, you may even be able to order a board from Steve Lis. You can still get the classic fish with the twin wood keels. I just ordered a quad fish from Rich and he said it would be 3-4 months. He's a great guy, and I highly recommend that you go down and talk with him about what you want.
http://www.greenroom.com

The Greenroom
1963 Abbott st.
San Diego, Ca 92107
telephone #: (619)226-1311
Fax #: (619)226-7242
barry

Re: Retro Twin Fish KB Shaper Who KBs in San Diego Area?

Post by barry »

Jacksquid wrote::?: I'm looking for twin-fin fish kneeboard to be shaped by someone who actually kneeboards in the San Diego area. If anyone has any recommendations for someone who might shape in the Steve Lis style with a good business reputation, I'd love to get a board made by them.

I know there are surfboard shapers who shape nice KBs, but I had an experience that was otherwise. Reminded me of the quote: "Never buy a fur from a vegetarian."

Thanks,

Jacksquid
Barry
barry

Re: Retro Twin Fish KB Shaper Who KBs in San Diego Area?

Post by barry »

Jacksquid wrote::?: I'm looking for twin-fin fish kneeboard to be shaped by someone who actually kneeboards in the San Diego area. If anyone has any recommendations for someone who might shape in the Steve Lis style with a good business reputation, I'd love to get a board made by them.

Thanks,

Jacksquid
hello jacksquid... my name is Barry and I enjoy the twinfins. I get mine shaped from eric schoelkopf he lives in vista and has shaped my boards since about 87. eric also kneerides and begs for waves frequently in the o-side harbor area. I have found him to be a competent shaper and usually lives up to his promises. his cell # is (760)505-4769 give him a call and see if he might be the one to take care of you... Good Luck and hope you enjoy the ride
Barry
ivandill

twin fin fish

Post by ivandill »

Bud ,{blast Hawaii Kneeboard}made me one twiny fin,Fish about two year ago, and it is one of my 12 favorite board that he has make me. Is really fast,ANd at 5"6 lenght ,when you get it in the right condition would make you think that you can go on anything the ocean throw.Had actually ride it in up to 12 feet and is really can handle more if you make the airdrops.But the only bad thing is that you dont get the condition nesesary to ride it to often. Meaning glassy,draining ,long,barreling,walling, waves.I always have on mycar as part of the quiver just in case. Anyway good adition for any hardcore kneelo ,with the aussie three.
VANCHEE
Jacksquid

Local kneeboard shaper/KBer

Post by Jacksquid »

Love this site. Great responses by people with the soul and stoke of surfing.

All the feedback has been great. At this point, I am trying to get hold of Eric S. for a classic twin-fin fish KB. Currently I am testing fish waveskiis for a Ventura designer and really like what I am experiencing. Kneeboarding is pretty new to me, but I appreciate the history of the shortboard revolution and the role of kneeboards, and am going to cram as much time into dialing in kneeboards as I can in my newest venture. In addition, I want to support any locals who have a vested interest in our sport and in our community, being the anti-globalist that I am. I don't mean to sound preachy or holier than thou', but surfing for it's own pure sake makes a lot of sense to me at this time.

There are so many cool ways to experience waves. I think kneelos are into a great secret and remain unaffected by Madison Ave. Keep the stoke and let the mainstream do its thing; we'll just keep getting barrelled and emerge from from the surf with the biggest smiles.

Peace,

jacksquid
ScottMac

Retro Twin Fin fish KB shaper who kbs in San diego Area?

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Jackson

Recommend Pavel

Post by Bryan Jackson »

I would recommend Rich Pavel in the San Diego area. I have had two of his boards (I still own one, gave the other away to a budding kneeboarder in Samoa) and I liked them both :D . No complaints whatsoever.

You can also arrange to be in the shaping room with him when your board is made to give him some input as to what you want, the kind of waves you ride, etc.! 8)

Yes he can be pricey and yes you may have to wait a few for a new custom board, but well worth the wait :wink: .

On the other hand, if you visit the Greenroom shop in OB there is a fair to even chance that he may actually have something suitable, either new or used, for sale in the shop, and at a better price, too! :o

I looked at the Mandala web site. The boards look a bit on the standup side but hard to tell for sure from the pics :? . The photo gallery has one pic of what could be a kneeboarder. Hard to tell from the angle.

Mandala seems to be a Pavel protege so I am sure he is comfortable and equally adept at shaping either standups or kneeboards. Since his contact info is there on the web site you should give him a buzz :idea: .

I rode one of Eric's boards once and can't say that I was too impressed, but that's just me. It wasn't a fish, some weird diamond tail design of his own. It was a few years ago and I know a lot of people swear by them and I see them around all the time as of late, so I'm sure things must have changed for the better.
willli

Post by willli »

You may want to try and ride one of Bud's fishes before you decide. There seem to be plenty around, as well as multiple gatherings in Cali. He has been refining that shape for a long time. I agree with Ivandill. In the right conditions they are rockets, kind of board you always have with you just in case. Standups I've talked to in the water, mostly cause they couldn't believe I was on a fish in surf over 6 feet, said they only use em in small stuff cause they can't control the speed when it gets bigger .. the fish shape goes so fast they fall off and can't control their turns. Advantage kneelo!!

For a look at how influential this shape is:
http://www.kanegarden.com/