Deck pads?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KED »

GRAYMAN: Thanks for your feedback re. knee placement... will for sure help during the trial-and-error phase :roll:. Another question please... I overheard a surf instructor telling a student to put his hands further back on the board/rails - by his waist as opposed to by his upper chest - before springing up onto the board to take off on a wave. Same advice for a k-boarder? I'm an advanced waveskier but look like a complete idiot trying to learn this sport :oops: :oops: :oops: This year I am committed to it though. Thus the questions. That said... What's the estimated learning curve??? I'm learning on a Dean Cleary Quest (for small waves)... had him make it for my height/weight, etc. So I think the board is right, which means the problem is with the errrr, ummm, operator :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll:

Sure wish there was a dedicated "how to" place on the KSUSA site where people new to the sport could go to see/read how to execute the basics (and beyond). WAVEMASTERUSA has an excellent place on their site called RIPPS WAVESKI SAVVY that gives an animated description of basic through advanced waveski manouvers.
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
KED

Post by KED »

Sure wish there was a dedicated "how to" place on the KSUSA site where people new to the sport could go to see/read how to execute the basics (and beyond). WAVEMASTERUSA has an excellent place on their site called RIPPS WAVESKI SAVVY that gives an animated description of basic through advanced waveski manouvers.
Just to be clear, I am by no means comparing sites... just wishing that KSUSA had something similar. Anyone know how to put something like this together?
GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by GRAYMAN »

I grab the rails further forward with my elbows just infront of where I want my knees. Then I drag myself up. It's a fairly unusual way to get up to be honest but when I spring yp I often end up too far forward.

You'll know if your palcement's right. Too far forward, the tail slips out. Too far back and you waggle about. Just right... Well, you'll know!

I used to ride skis and the two craft work pretty much the same so you'll probably progress pretty quick once you sort the basics. Knees spread though. Without that you'll really struggle to get on a rail.

Watch as many DVD's and surf with others whenever you can.

G
KED

Post by KED »

GRAYMAN... THANK YOU!
Last edited by KED on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

KED wrote:GRAYMAN: ..... but look like a complete idiot trying to learn this sport
EXCELLENT ! Glad to see I'm not the only one provide amusement to the masses on the beach
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.
KED

Post by KED »

EXCELLENT ! Glad to see I'm not the only one provide amusement to the masses on the beach
Nope... if it makes you feel any better, you're definitely not the only one :oops: :oops: :oops:. When I waveski I wear my helmet and surf on the outside, take off deep, etc. When I'm trying to learn this k-boarding thing I'm way inside, not wearing a helmet (probably a stupid idea on my part) and look like a complete spaz. A couple of times I've heard guys paddling out look at each other and say "Hey...isn't that...??? Nah... can't be." :roll: :roll: :roll:
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: black bubbles

Post by Kev »

RMcKnee wrote:Kev, are you privy to inside information
not so much inside info
it's just that the last time I was at Dave's factory he was running low on stock and made some comments that there may be an issue in the future

however
I've seen new stock in a couple of shops since
and so I think things got sorted
finger

Post by finger »

KED
Iam with you on the " HOW TO " post thingy
gary
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

KED, At the risk of posting something irrelevant, and keeping in mind that I'm not technically qualified to say anything about surfing, I can offer the following.

The learning curve in surfing works like any organic learning curve. There's x amount of looking like an idiot involved. When you've done enough looking like an idiot you'll find you're able to at least look like you're surfing, and you might even enjoy it.

Perseverance, patience and plenty of paddling. I "taught" my sons to surf about 10 years ago. It took them about 3 months to master the basics, and that was doing it pretty much every day. Heaps of fun though.
I overheard a surf instructor telling a student to put his hands further back on the board/rails - by his waist as opposed to by his upper chest - before springing up onto the board to take off on a wave.
Sounds like good advice to me.

"Sweet spot"; well, G describes it well. When you find it, you'll know.