Funny Article on SURFLINE about "Retro-Boards"

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

randiego, please let us know if you decide to sell your Toby. I'm sure there are dozens of contributors who would love to put it to good use---me included.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

randiego wrote:Whoa boys... lighten up! :D

Easy there, Randiego. Don't start running around telling people what to do. This is KSUSA... everybody's opinion (except yours if you disagree with the self anointed Kneeboard Police ) counts.

If they find the article offensive in any way, then you need to STFU, sell your boards, and turn in your Sentri Pass. YOU'RE DONE!!!

For the last time... THERE'S IS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT KNEEBOARDING UNLESS EVERYONE AGREES IT"S FUNNY!!!!! GAAAAWWWWDAMMMIT!!!!!!

I will be at Kneelo Cove Sunday morning, and if I see any "unsanctioned" fun being had, the hammer is coming down.
Ler, Munity, Wayne, Fred, Sprocket, MR, DR, Hayward, Stinkweed... consider yourselves warned.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

RMcKnee wrote::x I DRIVE A VW AND IT COSTS ME A PACKET OK? :x
But I stick with it because, (call me underground, but), I think a Corvette looks like an overdressed cockroach and won't carry 4 boards in the back and still leave me room to get into and out of my wettie. 8)

And Kid, I reckon the Surfline piece simply appeals to the deep conservatism of the average surfer. :wink:

Well reasoned, McKnee. Just a warning, tho...

Be extremely careful about your references to the "underground". You could find yourself shunned by certain contributors. Worst case scenario, you could be banned from this site for life---seriously.

Best case scenario---you could be the subject of childish name-calling, such as "Captain Kook", "Nerd Herd" or "Nostalgia Nazis".
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

'Children when they are little make parents fooles, when they are great they make them mad.' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

:cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

kidrock wrote:"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

:cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry:
Look in the mirror when you say that.

This whole thread was supposed to be a great laugh... READ THE TITLE!!!! But of course a few self important "thought police" have turned it into something else.
Can't anyone besides you Forum-Hogs start a Thread without your posturing?
It's common knowledge none of you can surf, but are you THAT desperate for relevancy that no one can enjoy themselves without your approval?
You do know that it is because of you that all the best surfers and shapers have fled the forums, right?

Enjoy my friend Don Harris' Website... rest assured you have nothing in common with him.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Who is taking kneeboarding too serious??
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Now you want to make it personal?

Dear Captain James Tiberius Kirk,

I would tell YOU to "look in the mirror", but you're sheer Force of Personality suggests that you probably need to tear yourself away from your mirror.

You don't have to break it down for me, you Mental Midget. I know the story was for laughs. I just didn't find it to be all that amusing. I found it even less amusing that you would use it as another dubious attempt at a thinly-disguised jab at anyone who rode what you loathe as a "retro".

And please, don't get up on your soapbox again to lecture ANYONE about Forum Hogs and Posturing. You, my wannabe Thespian friend, are the Undisputed King of Posturing.

You say it's common knowledge that "none of you can surf". Who in the hell exactly are you talking about? As usual, you are extremely presumptuous by lumping me together with other persons. I am carrying my OWN water, I don't need to carry it for anyone else. Unlike you, I do not have this overbearing need to cram everything about me down everyone else's throat. You have never seen me surf, and you know relatively little about me. Don't pretend like you do, it only proves that you are the most supreme hypocrite.

And you can drop the "relevancy" bit. Nobody is here to prove they are relevant, except you. The sad thing is, you have only a shred of relevancy with a minority of the people on this site. Outside of KSUSA, you are as irrelevant as your "acting career".

You may have a point about some of the contributors from this site have fled because of certain opinions being shared. But you would never have the insight to admit that they've possibly fled because of your over-exaggerated chest thumping. Your offensive behavior would probably have gotten you kicked off a long time ago, except for the fact that you happen to be a friend of the Administrator(s)...another piece of info you constantly remind everyone of.

The only things greater than your egocentricity and narcissism would be your arrogance and your ignorance. Please stick to the Photo Album as you earlier promised, I don't believe your contributions will be as sorely missed as you would lead yourself to believe.
randiego

Post by randiego »

:roll:

well we're a little off topic now.

The article was pretty damn funny. I can see how some might see it as a slam on retro boards, but I just see it as commentary on the fashion-victim barrel-dodging fish-riders (standup) that I see every day.
"But this one will work for sure," Donny hopefully suggested as he pulled out his third board: a eucalyptus and hemp keel twin with organic pine tar glassing.
Does that even exist? How could you NOT think that's funny?

I love my fish, Kidrock, I'm not selling it. I don't hate it, it's not going to waste, just that I don't really ride it anymore. That board traveled to Australia with me - twice. I've moved on, evolved, but that doesn't mean I don't respect the history - of either the design or my own past. The boards I'm riding now take me to the places I want to go - and I'm still learning how to ride them!

It's an original and I've had it for twenty-five years after ordering it custom, I think I'll keep it. I wish I still had the two Lis(s) that I ordered at Mitch's way back when, but I don't - stolen.

So when I drive my '85 VW Van to surf tomorrow, will I be a retro hipster, or an uncool fashion victim? I'm so confused!

:lol: :lol:

"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Randiego,

I fully understand the juxt of the storyline. It had more to do with what is considered "fashionable" and was not a direct jab at retro boards. Besides, what surfer out there wouldn't think that having a bonzer and Hemp fish in his quiver wouldn't be cool?

I wouldn't give a flying fack through a rolling donut if the story WERE a stab at retro boards. I've tried just about every configuration known to kneeriding over the last 30 years. I'm very comfortable about the equipment I ride, and I'm not the least bit sensitive about it. I have been very interested in what others are riding, and if you look at my posts over the years, I have NEVER had anything negative to say about other people's boards!!!

What I DO have heartburn about is when others are so quick to judge and outright dismiss other people's choices and opinions, and are degrading in the manner in which they do it. I would do the same if there were some Newbreak or Windansea dinosaur who was slamming the newer shapes as "some fad that will never work" and "only kooks ride those pieces of krap" and "their surfing has no 'relevance'" (whatever the hell that means).

I've seen a lot of things I disagree with, but I've either attempted to disagree with tact, or said nothing at all.

Yes, I understand that there is some humor in the story. But it was obvious that the person who introduced the story as a thread was taking a jab at certain people who don't subscribe to his opinion of how kneeboarding should be.

It's not the story itself. It's the arrogance in which it was displayed.

Randy, I'm glad you like both the old and the new. It shows that you're sincere about your commitment to kneeriding, and want to progress. I wish you happiness and success in your ventures.

But I'd still like to get my hands on that Toby. :wink:
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Now you want to make it personal?
Uh-oh.
Dear Captain James Tiberius Kirk,
That's Sci Fi! That's funny!..... dated and gay, but funny.

I would tell YOU to "look in the mirror", but you're sheer Force of Personality suggests that you probably need to tear yourself away from your mirror.
I fall in love with myself every morning all over again.
You don't have to break it down for me, you Mental Midget. I know the story was for laughs. I just didn't find it to be all that amusing. I found it even less amusing that you would use it as another dubious attempt at a thinly-disguised jab at anyone who rode what you loathe as a "retro".

You are a retard. IT'S ABOUT STAND-UPS RIDING KNEEBOARDS.
Your obsession with me is getting a little Kevin Spacey in Seven.
And please, don't get up on your soapbox again to lecture ANYONE about Forum Hogs and Posturing. You, my wannabe Thespian friend, are the Undisputed King of Posturing.
I gotta say Kidrock, or if we're using names and professions, Mark The Border Patrol Agent from Texas El Paso... I never been the Undisputed King of Anything, before... this is AWESOME! Do I get a medal?!

You say it's common knowledge that "none of you can surf". Who in the hell exactly are you talking about? As usual, you are extremely presumptuous by lumping me together with other persons. I am carrying my OWN water, I don't need to carry it for anyone else. Unlike you, I do not have this overbearing need to cram everything about me down everyone else's throat. You have never seen me surf, and you know relatively little about me. Don't pretend like you do, it only proves that you are the most supreme hypocrite.

Not to many Kneelos around, Mark The Border Patrol Agent from Texas El Paso... and those of us who do surf, talk about the guys who hijacked this site.
And you can drop the "relevancy" bit. Nobody is here to prove they are relevant, except you. The sad thing is, you have only a shred of relevancy with a minority of the people on this site. Outside of KSUSA, you are as irrelevant as your "acting career".

Oh.. got some bad news for you Mark... apparently Uncle Sam thinks my career is very Very VERY relevant. I must be doing something right.
You may have a point about some of the contributors from this site have fled because of certain opinions being shared.
Don, Mark Robertson, Tom, Simon, Sprocky, Bud, Bruce, Lerner, Barry, The UK, ect, ect...
But you would never have the insight to admit that they've possibly fled because of your over-exaggerated chest thumping.
They find it entertaining. Ask them. I have all their cell numbers.
Your offensive behavior would probably have gotten you kicked off a long time ago, except for the fact that you happen to be a friend of the Administrator(s)...another piece of info you constantly remind everyone of.
:wink:

The only things greater than your egocentricity and narcissism would be your arrogance and your ignorance. Please stick to the Photo Album as you earlier promised, I don't believe your contributions will be as sorely missed as you would lead yourself to believe.
I will. Just keep your angry Nerd Herd over here in the forums so those of us who actually surf can communicate in peace.