Bonzer Kneeboard

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Bonzer Kneeboard

Post by jimithesaint »

Saw this and thought some of y'all might find it interesting

http://waveslide.blogspot.com/2008/09/k ... -boss.html

Jimi
ezak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ezak »

that green fade looks a lot like my board
surf with soul
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

very cool...I always wanted to try a bonzer KB.

I don't think I would trust just anybody to shape a bonzer. It would have to be a "name" guy like Eaton, Campbell et al.

I hear Manny Caro makes a good one, too. Don't some of you NorCal guys have some Mandala experiences to share?
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

'bout 20 years ago I had a bonzer hull twin fin shaped by Ace (he shaped for Eaton for years) and the board was quick, very quick, even in the PB Pier area beach break.... 8) 5'10" diamond tail.... ummm, wouldn't mind another one of those.... :D
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Cappy and Bob,

great insight as to how a Bonzer works as a KB, thanks for your input guys.

A few standup acquaintances of mine back in the 70's really liked 'em, but a larger majority snubbed 'em and said they "spin out". NEVER saw a Bonzer KB.

Just by looking at it, I figure the Bonzer has gone thru a lot of changes since then, just like every other board...and worked out a few "flaws".

One quick question, tho...how come you never see anyone riding it in waves of consequence (i.e., a bonzer gun). I think it's basically a "funboard" that needs a little juice to make it work properly.
KenM

Post by KenM »

I had a Bonzer kneeboard in '73 shaped by Steve Walden, I loved it, fast, worked great high in the pocket, and DID NOT spin out. Then in'74 I got my first fish, shaped by Ron Lingenfelter and that was it, couldn't even count how many I've had since. Been thinking about ordering a Bonzer for the last couple of years though. There is an interview with Malcom Campbell in the latest Surfer's Path magazine, very informative. By the way, Malcolm's concaves are not as deep as Eaton's. K Rock, there are guys into Bonzer guns, Jeff Hakman and Bill Hamilton, just to name a couple. If you don't mind waiting Rich Pavel's Bonzers are just SICK. I'm pretty sure you can order Malcom's through Moonlight Glassing or Mollusk surf shops.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Toby makes Bonzers?

saweeeet.

visited his shop a few months ago...saw some really sick boards in there, but no bonzers :oops:

Think I'll save up a few more bones for a Pavel. Or, maybe we'll get lucky and some other Bonehead President will give us some more free cash to buy himself (or his party) a vote :wink:

I can't believe Hakman and Hamilton still surf :shock:
KenM

oops

Post by KenM »

OOPS, sorry Kid, meant to say Jock Sutherland, not Hakman. Hamilton is shaping Bonzer pintail guns. I've seen two of Toby's Bonzers and would say they would be worth the wait. I'm sure that a kneeboarder's bailout program would be very popular with a certain special interest group.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

I used to shape my own version of a bonzer back in th late 70's my stand up mate's bro in law used to make st/up b"zers so i started but i didn't use the long keel type fin i figured ther would be too much drag off the top so i cut down a normal fin to about 2 1/2 " high with a base of around 2" and shaped like a std fin double foil, old style [ 10" ] single fin, 5'6" double flyer pin tail full to double concave [ deep ] through through the tail incredible in the pocket and would go vertical so quick hang in like super glue probable the first near thruster but nobody paid any att. to kb ers back then they still don't i spose except other crips I've still got a queensland red cedar single fin d/fl pin tail
[without the rail fins] probably worth a small fortune i'll take some pics when i get back from vanuatu and post em cheers AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
KenM

Post by KenM »

The latest version has 2 shorter base side fins per side replacing the longer base side fins of the original. Somewhat parrallel to the quad fish replacing the twin keels 2 low aspect ratio fins with 4 high aspect ratio fins.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.campbellbrotherssurfboards.com
KenM

Post by KenM »

Back when they first came out there was a quote from Jim Neese: "you've never seen a gimmic go so fast."
SAM
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Bonzer

Post by SAM »

You guys might like checking out this Picture of Jack Bucher on a Bonzer from the 70s. Jack past away last year.
Looks good to me.

http://bonzerfront.com/blog/?p=90#comments
KenM

Post by KenM »

Sam, thanks for the link. Anyone out there kneeboarding a Bonzer nowadays? Saw a kneeboarder with one in the parking lot at Swami's a couple years back, anyone, anyone?
KenM

Post by KenM »

:lol: So how does your brother like that 25" wide quad?
SAM

Bonzer

Post by SAM »

I have one, but have not used it for about 10 years or more. I never really never liked the way it turned. Seemed better in larger surf. This makes me want to clean the dust off. I always wanted play around with the trailing fin but never did.