Paipo Design

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

slucepan
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by slucepan »

I wonder how a 6 ft body board would handle with the right botom shaping and a quad fin setup?
Keep the stoke and may all of the waves in your life line up like corduroy.
Surfboard a collection of agreeable trade off's moving in one direction.
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

there are a couple of ex stand up guys around here [bad knees,feet hips etc.] that ride 5' ish f/g body boards made by Full Force surfboards. I thought they were kneeboards at first glance. Plenty of rocker, low nose area, deep double concave quads, fast barrel machines
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

paipo boards

Post by stevea »

As a kneeboard shaper of undeterminable age ,the paipo s i have shaped and ridden during any injury that stops me kneeling.
I see as an opportunity to explore some aspects of design that may find their way to my next kneeboard
As an example the paipo i am intending to shape to get me through a dicky knee period is based on 2 of the most impressive boards i saw at the recent W/T event

1. was the planshape of the Dale Ponsford designed reverse curve behind the knees, boards , surfed by 2 of the best waveriding kneelos in Dale and Pete Mc Lure

2 was the epoxy boards of none other than mr Analbirth

Before my ramblings turn to drivel rough dimensions will be 4ft x23 x2 n a bit minimal nose lift aided by a chine ,concave bottom from nose to chest area into double concave rolled vee into reverse rockered tail powered by four fins
Aim to have some fun in suitably small waves of no consequence to keep my shoulders from rusting and maybe just maybe help regain some fitness bonus would be to lose a few kilos
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

sounds interesting steve, cheers for the ref. as well, coming from you means a lot, unexpected 8) what are you using - materials and you might want to have a look at C Drives for your fins, i think they would suit a paipo, those guys from Cabbo were using them as well, i've found when i'm belly boarding on waves when i'm coming in that with the Cdrives the board turns way easier than with normal fins. less water to displace due to the C cutaway.
slucepan

Post by slucepan »

I just found out about the c drive fins. The right up sounds impressive.
I think I would put these fins on just about anything I build.
I think I would use an eps blank if I can find one wide enough. I should be able to make it a little thinner.
Keep the stoke and may all of the waves in your life line up like corduroy.
Surfboard a collection of agreeable trade off's moving in one direction.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

i use the c drives on every board i make, from chubs to my rhino chaser and they work just as well on the lot. As for eps, here it comes in blocks 650 wide which is around 25 1/2" and if you need wider they cut it the other way.
You can get away with a thinner board but lately i've been making them thicker, with surprisingly good results, faster through dead sections, quicker to accelerate out of slow or tight turns, plus for old buggers like myself way easier to paddle... win win :D