Best Board - head high to DOH

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Don
Admin

Best Board - head high to DOH

Post by Don »

Me again 8)

It's late November and my quad fish is asking for a break... Ocean Beach is showing it's character with a bit of current :twisted: and the waves are breaking with purpose and intent.

Time for the 6'0 quad pintail. Here in Northern California I see numerous Blast and Parkes boards in this category. Quads are more the norm but there are definitely the tri-fin die-hards :P who are also using a couple more inches in length to 1) get into the waves earlier 2) keep up with the currents 3) handle a steeper drop with more confidence.

Weapon of choice?
Parkes quad 6'0 x 22.5" pintail - slight Vee bottom.
ImageImage
Don Harris
Tony B
Local (More than 25 post)

Quads

Post by Tony B »

Don you still havent told us if you ride tri fins at all and if not why??
It seems from what you are suggesting that USA kneelos mostly prefer quads. This is directly opposite the the Aussies from what I gather. Confusing isnt it. :?:
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Tri-fins vs. Quads... the great debate.

Out of 27 years kneeriding and probably some 40 boards or so, I can only remember 3 tri-fins under me.

- Backyard shape (shaped after DP and I surfed a heavy reef in Santa Cruz where he was surfing out of his skull and snapped his board on one of the most critical carves off the top I can remember... funny thing though... his board was a quad and my backyard shape ended up a tri !)

- Knormal Kneeboard (shaped by Albert Whiteman himself back in '85 during my 6 month stay in Aus)

- Parkes 5'10 x 23.5 rounded pin I brought home from the '02 WT's(beautiful board that ended up in Sprocky's quiver... I think he's pretty happy with it!)

So I haven't really given them a fair shot -i.e. I haven't surfed one under familiar conditions and done a side by side comparison. I grew up in HB surfing twin fins in the late '70's and moved over to quads. My surfing style is more rail to rail now rather than surfing off the tail. In no way, shape or form will I say that quads are better than tri's - it just depends on your style, wave conditions, posture on the board, and probably a few other things I'm not aware of 8)

How can so many of the World's top riders be on tri-fins... Do they know something I don't?

I brought home the Parkes tri-fin from the WT's with the intention of surfing it at my home break and expanding my horizons :wink: Upon my return (mid April) we were at the end of our wave season here in Nor Cal and a few of the So Cal Kneeriders expressed an interest in buying the board. I thought I'd sell it and replace it before October... I never replaced that board :cry:

October and November were great months here in San Francisco with offshores blowing for weeks on end. As such, I slipped back into my old familiar quad-zone and once again surfed a season without a tri in my quiver!

It's April again and time to order a few more boards... perhaps I'll throw a tri-fin in there...
Attachments
Ocean_Bch05.jpg
Just one of the many days last November where the offshores blew and the swells reeled down the beach. There were peaks like this up and down the 3.5 mile stretch of beach. Quad or Tri-fin... does it matter when the waves are on?
(14.85 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Ocean_Bch21.jpg
Albert Munoz on a tri-fin riding my home break... obviously they work for him!
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Don Harris
Tony B

The great debate.

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Don thats a really good reply. I think you are right when you say that it is style dependent. I think I ride of the back of the board quite a lot though I would like to be seen using rails more. I guess this is one reason I am considering the quad once again.

Tony B
DanaP
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by DanaP »

When I lived in Maui, a back-yard shaper (John Belick) shaped me 3 good boards, all tri's w/ the fins slightly moved forward usually 5'10 to 6ft. & 23.5 wide some forward v, that handled real well in big juicy waves. Soon I will have a photo of me riding it @ the lane @ Hookipa in Maui. Unfortunately it blew out the back of my truck trudging through the cane fields (trades a howling) on the way back from an all time session @ Maalea. I ride Quads shaped by Richard Pavel (a.k. Toby under his axis logo in O.B S.D. - The Green Room). Snapped my last one @ tirantchulas(sp) JALAMA in november. Later :wink:
Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Ler »

Single and Twins in the 70's and early 80's, then Quads ever since. Its
just the way it is here. Can't even remember last time I seen a Tri-Fin
kneeboard. It's a debate that can never be solved, if a Tri works, it works
if a Quad works, it works. Probaly would own at least one Tri-Fin, if I lived
some where with larger surf. Oh well. A Quad works around here best.[/img]