Kneeboard Shapers South Africa

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

austo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by austo »

Terence it is a sweet looking board you have come up with. It is the same problem where I live there is only one kb shaper in the whole state and he is only part time these days. Like you I was away from surfing for a long time. I took a real punt a while back after seeing a board shaped by Glen Darcy of J Bay and after some discussion via email had him shape me an everyday board for 3-6" conditions..It turned out to be a real gem, so not long ago I had him shape me a bigger wave board. I took it for its first series of surfs 2 weeks ago and again I am impressed, It was quick , had a lot of drive and paddled into the wave beautifully. It was quick down the line just as it was intended to be. I am yet to really put it though its paces,Price was good too even with freight from RSA.
Anyway enough of me...Its the old saying if your on a good thing..... and it looks like you might have it :?:
Kneelos do it deeper
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Austo hello Glen Darcy used to work in my home town (Warner Beach) for Peter Maisch of Wedge surfboards , the Maischs are very well known for their fins now ,but anyway he has got stacks of experience and seen a few of his boards on this site they look really good , great point break boards.

T
Terence H

Feedback

Post by Terence H »

OK two surfs now , first surf i was stressing and very grumpy ,but gave it some thought and checked out my kneeling position and i was kneeling too far forward which was fine for my last board.

Today about 3 foot light Easterly (bad wind here) very fast down the line and i came off the top on one so fast i flew into the air and blew it with the speed totally unexpected.
Battling slightly with tight cutbacks but i little tweaking of my position and my fins and i will be there.

I notice people going on about the kneeling forward style of surfing but your knees have to be fairly far back in the first place to achieve that ,noticed that after studying the action shots in the Album

T
austo

Post by austo »

Terrence I too kneel fairly far forward and also upright when I surf, I find that when I need to get low and fowrard center of gravity(barrels, cutbacks) I need to lose the upright stance and almost sit my ass back on my calf muscles (lower the stance so to speak or risk burying the forward rail too much))..this way I do not have to adjust my knee postion on the deck.
Kneelos do it deeper
red
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Terence
Stoked its working out. Welcome back to the fold.
Red
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

red wrote:Terence
Stoked its working out. Welcome back to the fold.
Red
Thanks Red , have settled with the rear fins at the last plug ,was getting no drive with the fins both up front in a tight group.

Regards
T