tri or quad?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

aquanet
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

tri or quad?

Post by aquanet »

been riding a fish for 20yrs + what is the difference and advantages of a quad or tri fins. also still kicking with duckfeet!!!
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Quads are a great transition from a fish.
kbing since plywood days
aquanet

Post by aquanet »

what does the extra 2 fins help do?
Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Quad Tri

Post by Doc Turbo »

Hi Aqua,

I can relate to your question, and will provide my own experience with you. Was riding fishes or twin square tails for 25 years as well, then I bought a Blast Quad, a Freak and now a Flashpoint Tri.

For me, these modern designed boards, and fin placements (wether quad or tri) have brought the board design to state of the art, or more importantly the board has far more capacity than my skill. I have been able to improve my riding to match. When I ordered the boards above, I asked the shaper to give me what is best for me, my wave conditions, and experience.

When I first started trying to ride, I fell off, was nearly like learning a new sport.

I guess my input will be try as you doing to learn the technical characteristics of the twin and quad, etc. but you might want to take the risk, and step way out of the known standard, and try some of the new designs.

I am sure the board shapers, or if you browse the old postings on this site, you will find all the questions you have answered on the designs.
Last edited by Doc Turbo on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by jdc »

aquanet wrote:what does the extra 2 fins help do?

THE TWO EXTRA FINS PROVIDE THE DRIVE AND DIRECTION OF THE CENTRE FIN IN A TRI SET UP (SORRY CAPS ON)

also and according to Buddy M (and I agree ), you always have two fins in the wave in critical moments.

according Headwax and I kinda agree again....you get an extra gear comming out of a turn as water squeezes between the two fins on either side.

they look cool

also Ive always wondered why Hart works in even numbered lengths but not even numbered fins (in general)

I surf on 2 quads and a thruster and I still think shape is more telling but then id need to have same shape but different fin numbers to really tell the difference

aka dorje
i like surfing
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Aquanet,

both excellent points by Doc and JDC, they are right on the mark. I also rode exclusively Lis-styled fishes for many years, and recently had a quadfish shaped. One of the things that may be overlooked, aside from having 4 fins, is that the overall outline of the board is a bit different than the old-skool fishes...the template itself has a bit more curve near the tail area, as opposed to the practically near-parallel rails on the old Fish designs.

Not only do the extra fins provide more drive, but the more modern rail outline provides more vertical surfing, as opposed to the flat-out straight line speed (and turning stiffness) of the older Fish.

Just my 2 cents. :wink:

P.S.---I remember Aquanet---my mom used to glue her Bouffant hairdo together with that stuff in the 60's. :lol: :lol: :wink:
aquanet

Post by aquanet »

thanks for all the info and how are the aussie boards set up and do they ride longer boards Ive noticed no use of flippers.
skansand

Post by skansand »

aquanet wrote:thanks for all the info and how are the aussie boards set up and do they ride longer boards Ive noticed no use of flippers.
generally, the fins are more forward then what you see on standup boards....16-18" up is about the norm...

its probably better for you (riding fins back boards) to go a few inches longer in length if you get a aussie(fins forward) board to acheive a similar riding stiffness..

(if your riding a 5'6 fish and buy a 5'6 aussie quad you'll be spinning out alot and probably give up in frustration)

best to go a few inches longer, it really compliments the aussie design and is a HUGE advantage for a kneelo when paired with some good flippers....
:D .
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon