Single fin?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

I rode single fins for years during the 60's and 70's. I would sand down a 12" flex fin until it had a lot of twang and push it way up in the box.

Nothing better than the feeling of taking a big drop at some big freight train wave like Moss Landing, running straight out into the flats then cranking one big turn and shooting down the line. There was no time for cutbacks - just full tilt barrels.

The boards were 5'2" singles with little tris to hold on the face past verticle.
We used glass handles (no leashes) and the boards were way too narrow - about 18 1/2" - 19" wide.

Many years later, I've dialed in a tri KB that does everything that I want. 5'8" 22 1/2 (+or-) wide. I've experimented with many boards- width up to 24 1/2"; fin placement and type all over the board - including little finger fins in boxes up just behind my knees. My main fins are placed up under my ankles so I can really push off them.

I ride split stance and also switch that stance - sometimes I like to ride frontside and sometimes I like to ride the same wave backside. I found, as a goofyfoot standup, that I liked to switch stance so I appplied that to KBing back in the early 80's.
kbing since plywood days
Ler

Single Fin

Post by Ler »

My got my second Kneeboard in 1978, it was a Small Faces single fin. Anytime the waves were overhead or if you gots alot of speed that fin would hum. I swear sometimes it sounded like angels singing or just like
fin set wrong but either way I loved that board. I think there should be a retro kneeboard contest or gathering, maybe all boards from the 60's and
70's. Nothing modern for a day!

mike butler
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Ler - that humming you heard was probably caused by excess resin built up on the trailing edge of the fin. I've seen the the same thing happen many times. All you have to do is sand down the trailing edge into a better foil and the humming will stop.
kbing since plywood days
stemple

Post by stemple »

My first Romo did the same thing. Then a guy told me that same trick at four mile one day. Problem solved.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

One of the advantages of working at a surf shop was that I had access to the factory. If a fin didn't work the way I thought it should, I could grind it off, refoil it then glass it back on that evening (but usually had a box). Then it was ready to the AM go out.
kbing since plywood days
KenM

single fins

Post by KenM »

:Tumak, the balsa sounds great,for a final touch you can get a Greenough 4a fin from True Ames.It's essentially a stage IV and matches the one in the Journal article.(red?) Their number is 805-685-8341.I'd like to see pics too.I have an agave fish being made right now and will try to post pics when I get it Ken M
tumak
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tumak »

Thanks KenM, for that info...I'll check it out! I got the board yesterday, and it looks awesome...it will be in the water soon...pics ASAP...tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
tumak

Post by tumak »

KenM - I did get a Greenough 4a fin...red, 10"...and it is an improvement over the Velzy fin. It has more base, and seems to get more drive out of turns and down-the-line speed. It looks real good, and has that cool Greenough fighter plane logo...very suitable for this board, as I had already called it the "Hurricane Fighter Plane" after a 60's song with that title by the Red Crayola. Eric Carson took a bunch of pictures of it; he said he'd post the pictures, but I think he had some technical dificulties...and then he left for Sweden! I think he'll be back soon, and hopefully he'll get those pics up. We just had a head-high swell here in FL, and I got a chance to use it kneelo style...REALLY COOL! Thanks for the tip on the Greenough fin...I didn't even know they were being made! -tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
tumak

Post by tumak »

Sorry...Eric did post the photo of my new balsa board...it's in the Miscellaneous Photo section, presently on page 4, I think. Sorry, Eric...Man O War pointed out to me that the photo was there...my mistake!
kneelo_44

The good old days

Post by kneelo_44 »

I remember the good old days, my first custom a triggers bros shaped by wilko (which means nothing to of you). I don't remember the length or width, but it had this huge single fin. I swear it must have been as long as the board I sure. It was just a breast but beautiful at the same time. I miss the old days sometime, everything was so simple.

John :D
I would rather be slotted
tumak

Post by tumak »

kneelo_44 - That's what I like: going back...back to the simplicity. It seems that the only things separating now from the "good old days" is that the old cast of characters has gone different directions, and we've gotten older. But, other than that, time in the water is still the same...we just have to let the mind go and free itself from the "stuff" that we allow to overburden us. SIMPLIFY! LET GO! BE FREE! IT'S UP TO US! Put Blind Faith in your CD player! Ha ha ha!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

"Free yourself - and your mind will follow."

More KBing - more often!

Surfhorn
kbing since plywood days
kneelo_44

Post by kneelo_44 »

But, other than that, time in the water is still the same...we just have to let the mind go and free itself from the "stuff" that we allow to overburden us. SIMPLIFY! LET GO! BE FREE! IT'S UP TO US! Put Blind Faith in your CD player! Ha ha ha![/quote]

I wish it was that simple, the water is still the same, but the crowds are a lot bigger and full of Volvo drivers (mals). I would seat out the back remembering when there would only one or two of us and there was never any shortage of waves. :roll: Also can you get Blind Faith :shock: on CD, that would drive my kids mad and then life would be good. I'm off for a surf gotta go
:P
John
I would rather be slotted