fins forward or back

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

Smokin Rock wrote:
PaulN wrote:Its pretty simple.

Fins back = close minded retro-grouch who wants kneeboarding to die a slow death and never gain any new practitioners.

Fins foward = open minded beacon of progressive thinking, not unlike Jeanne Grafalo, who knows its this style of board who will push kneeboarding into the mainstream so Bruce Hart and the other guys all get their own clothing lines.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i've often thought of how much Jeanne Grafalo and Bruce Hart have in common. such progressive thinkers :!: :lol:

That's funny...I don't know Hart...does he use big words to make fun of people so they don't understand? :lol:
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

sorry Brucey......the comic content of you and JG mentioned in the same sentence was too hard to resist :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Fins back? A gunslinger would tell you, "The world has moved on"!!!
maxb

Post by maxb »

all i know is ,i believe my surfing is on the progressive side ,and paul, ask around closed minded i'm not, fins back is what i ride(romos) and they'll work in whatever surf i choose to ride.
i still say it's more rider than shaper, but i am sure this subject will get beaten to death before it is over.
if you want to see what can be done on rons' boards ,come have a surf with me or look back through the album and put in maxb
sorry to go on about this ,but i don't believe i am the closed minded one here. all shapers boards work for somone or they would be out of business

ps ska, my boards even work in h.b., i just prefer somewhere that barrels a little more often.
i am out of breath
max praying for surf and unity
kbing newport
hart

Post by hart »

Smokin Rock wrote:
i've often thought of how much Jeanne Grafalo and Bruce Hart have in common. such progressive thinkers :!: :lol:
:D

Mike, that's Garofalo and for sure, I was there at the reunion chasing Ms Romy (or was it Michelle :oops: )..And didn't I see you hangin around the helicopter at some point :?:

:) Hey Kidrock, let me know which part of the words Mira Sorvino that's hard to understand :)

On Topic :idea:

Choose the fin location that comes with the board you choose to ride

And what board should you choose :?:

You are a local surfer (wherever)..so think local waves first, local shaper second, and whatever fins come with that..is what you should surf :D

Whatever you do..open and enjoy :arrow:

hart

PaulN..if I ever do T'shirts, I'll let you know brother :roll: but I'm thinkin about getting into skinny cigarettes instead..its soooo 90's right now :D :D
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

hart wrote:
Smokin Rock wrote:
:D

Mike, that's Garofalo and for sure, I was there at the reunion chasing Ms Romy (or was it Michelle :oops: )..And didn't I see you hangin around the helicopter at some point :?:
Bruiser.......JG would never hang around a Foghorn Leghorn retro-grouch like me......i'm not progressive enough
when are you starting up a clothing line? if you could translate the utter sexiness of the spring suit and booties look to street fashion you'll be rich 8)
on topic........how boring :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

welcome to the sport Jackson :)
Last edited by Headwax. on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

hart wrote:
PaulN..if I ever do T'shirts, I'll let you know brother :roll: but I'm thinkin about getting into skinny cigarettes instead..its soooo 90's right now :D :D
Hold on a second, Brucey... shouldn't you at least be able to ride a Flashpoint before you get a free t-shirt? :wink:
JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by JACKSON »

[quote="kidrock"]Jackson,

In case I haven't said it before, Welcome to the site.

The board Joe listed does look like a great Gulf KB. It would help to know your size...seems like half of the half men on this site are Banty Roosters, and the rest of us are Foghorn Leghorns.

Some type of rounded pin would probably float you well in Gulf surf...I'm still looking to take a trip out to South Padre Island when my job allows it.

Good Luck and Good Surfing...let us know how the board search turns out.

P.S.---we love pix of boards and surf.

kidrock out.[/quot kidrock im 200 @6'2 fairly good shape for an old man and have had no problems with my knees :D i have a fairly aggressive style. iride 9,8 and 7'6 surfboards with no wax on the nose :D
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Jackson-
I'm 6'4" and 200lbs and if I was coming to the Gulf States, these are the boards I'd bring:

5'9 x 24" PigFish if the surf was 4ft faces and under and weak.
[albumimg]10169[/albumimg]

6'0 x 24" TRI for when it got good
[albumimg]17781[/albumimg]

I doubt I would need a gun, but if there was a big 'Cane coming, I'd throw in a 6'4" too.8)

Side note... these boards work great as super loose stand-up fishes. They have a ton of volume for big guys like us (don't even need flippers... in fact they paddle faster without them.) Fun alternative when the surf is less than challenging.

Cheers,
EQ
skansand

Post by skansand »

Hey Max, You are definetly the romo master bro, but those boards are just way too hard to bust the fins free in mushy stuff....

BTW.... are your board standard romos?, ive notice hes moving the fins forward a bit for some people.....

gonna go meet the man himself tomorrow...

Huntington Pier bowls is the best wave in OC on most swells...its just the crowd that sucks, and the South winds....

surfed with Tom aka kbk66 at SS seal last week and he was KILLING IT!

long smooth barrels and verticle surfing on his 5'6 romo quad...

got me pumped to take out my 6'2 flashpoint BUTafter perling twice and out running a good barrel I wanted a smaller board...

all boards have there merits and drawbacks....neither is superior..
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Just got off the phone with Jackson. He is in the transition period moving towards the light and has a bunch of standup cobwebs to deal with on board design.....kidding. He is really stoked to get into kneeboarding and very open minded.

I will try to get him on my Flashpoints to give him some ideas but he is about the same distance away as OC-SF. We have discussed board design for our waves and even the difference in waves in SPI and Slurpside where he normally surfs. Also the style he develops will be unique. To me it is always about the cutback here to continually find the hook and the speed from the rebound. Other kneeboarders here surf it differently but don't see them out as much on small days when I am still having a ton of fun. The following clip is from a Texas surf movie maker and will give you an idea as to the differnece in our conditions.
Surf Hard Live Slow
randiego

Post by randiego »

No no no.

Everybody knows Fins Backwards is the best!

Superior foil action! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

I love my Flashpoint, the thing is really loose. But I've always wanted a Romo; I'd love to get a REALLY short kneeboard and see if it worked for me.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Really short KB's were OK when they were the only game in town. But if you want a little 'pocket rocket', I wouldn't go any shorter than 5'6" or 5'8".
kbing since plywood days