fins forward or back

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

surfhorn wrote:Really short KB's were OK when they were the only game in town. But if you want a little 'pocket rocket', I wouldn't go any shorter than 5'6" or 5'8".
That's what i meant--probably a 5'8. My kneeboard is 6', and I'm 6'1, so lopping off 4" would seem "really short" to me, though I don't know if 5'8 is generally considered "really short".
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
maxb

Post by maxb »

ska,you are right,one style is not superior,both have good and bad.
my last romo(one that will go to indo in july) has the front fins 3/4" forward and the rear 1/2 forward not much but it rides much different, also more tail lift 5'7" x 22.5 channl qd. futures
all of my boards are quads and i get in there with ron and add my input. contrary to what many believe he likes your input :D hb pier best in oc ,i don't buy it, there are alot of good waves in oc and they all have their moments. i have tried alot of fins forward boards and yes i have given them and myself a chance. i ride them well ,but they don't fit my style. and i can't get over being on a board that big. heck my big wave board is a 5'9.5" qd. and that seems big,but paddles great. and i have no trouble getting my share ,even in crowds.
any way tell carraisco (kbk66)i said hi
and if you want to try a romo pm me and we will see what we can do
RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE AND ABOVE ALL, ENJOY YOUR TIME IN THE WATER,WHATEVER VEHICLE YOU RIDE(even handboards right backer :wink: ) max
kbing newport
budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by budgie »

opinions opinions opinions

Only one matters

QUOTE from SIMON FARRER from the same subject a while back in the forum:

I can tell you that the majority of power generated in my turns is created through adjusting body weight & dispersing that energy via my lower legs & feet.
Combined with understanding the limits of your board, natural energy from the wave & utilising both these sources to give maximum drive & control.

An analogy to compare & think about first up.
Take boxing as an example, to deliver maximum power in a punch is not just a process of throw & connection. Positioning, body weight adjustment, full extension- technique & timing are just some & all come together at that one point to delivery maximum result.
All this takes place in my surfing from the moment I get up I have already hunted out energy given from the wave & correct positioning on the
board. (positioning) Combine that captured energy that slingshots you down a wave to body weight adjustment in my case in a forward leaning motion and timing when that energy needs to be dispersed at the right time to generate the maximum thrust out of a turn (technique) via my lower legs which is pivoting the board over onto its rail more so from one foot depending on which direction.
I break it down to even more when I place my board over on a rail. There is a fine line when leaning the board over & combining the momentum, body weight adjustment with the angle of lean & dispersing of that energy at its maximum point in which the board can project forward with drive. This is a true art of surfing I believe when all this can be done subconsciously through a natural energy of feel & flow (Style). Anyone will tell you after pulling off a great turn how it flowed perfectly! maybe all those points came together to create that result? & even more important to be able to understand what it was that created that flow.
There are many other factors to mention but fundamentals are the most important to any surfer. Understanding the natural flow of power in a wave is a great skill & one which I feel very passionate about. Without sounding too strange! I feel like I have a blue print of a wave when im on it, knowing exactly were to source the natural energy & combining my own technique to create a balance. How do you get this? Experience? a 6th sense? I'm not sure but its clear as day to me when I surf.
The simple statement of surfing from your feet or knees is just not that straight forward. Its how the energy is dispersed. Upper body weight to lower body weight to through the thighs into the knees is all connected & some take it further to the feet like a steering wheel to the fins. Watch some footage of me surfing & watch the upper body movement & lower back through the hips & lower legs especially whilst doing a snap & see if you can see where the energy is being dispersed.
I hope this helps understand how I work but I am a strong believer in everyone is different & what works for some will not work for others. Technique is important to understand, where style is up to the individual & something that should stay that way.
I don't like reading people bickering about what works better fins forward(Aus) or fins back(USA) what ever works best for you, no one can give you an answer on what works best for you. Fin placements, board length, width, positioning of the knees on the deck whether it be forward, mid, back or right on the tail, together or apart all gives a different experience & all should be attempted to figure out what gives you the bigger rush & result that you are after. What is important is that there is more to riding a board than just catching a wave.
The fun is finding it out.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

Absolutely brilliantly put Budgie and of course 'Simon'

I knee surfed in isolation for years on a 5'6" twin fin fish with fins well back. I never knew or saw another kneeboarder other than the first year I started(1984). I cruised and pretty much went straight down the line most of the time.

Moved towns 5 years ago, met and watched Craig Hooper here in Mount Maunganui. I soon bought another board, 5'9" and 23 1/2" South Coast twin fin rounded pin with lots of rocker and a little wee third fin and started gently carving the face. Thought it was fantastic.

Couple of years ago I bought one of Albert's cast offs(thanks Albert for not keeping all your boards), a 5'6"x 23" three fin Parkes and man does it go. Loose, quick and responsive, i loved it. About the same time I got some dvd's. Crystal Voyager, Now and Then, NSG 05 and watched them over and over again. Every time I was in the water I was thinking about things I had seen in the DVD's and trying to emulate Simon, Troy, Shane, Badin, Barry and others.

Last Year I picked up a 5'10" x 23 1/2 Parkes Quad( ex Craig MacDonald), fins well forward. Totally different again and as I got used to it I grew to love it. My kneesurfing is still developing and I now have another DVD Inside and Out. Thankyou Simon and crew. I also found KSUSA and some of the NZ kneelo community, Bintang Bob, James and Duncan in Gisborne and a couple of others here in the Bay of Plenty.

I switch between boards now depending on the waves and I guess where I'm heading is that surfing is not just an adventure it is an enjoyable journey of discovery. Get a board and surf it for a while till you're familiar with it. Try another, and another. None of my boards have been set up for me, I'm 5'10" and only weigh 64kg, Albert is much shorter but probably similar weight, Craig I believe to be taller and heavier. I now know and love both boards and dont know yet whether I'll go tri or quad on the next although it will probably be 5'8" x 23" wide and maybe rounded pin for the type of waves we get here. Fins forward or back, who cares? it's what you get used to as you develop your style.

Main thing is to have fun.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)

forward or back

Post by JACKSON »

another dumb question. how would the fin position effect your style. like being more prone or more upright
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm 5'8" ( and shrinking...) and about 190 lbs and my 6'0" is the quickest board I've ever ridden, no matter if the waves are 18 inches or 18 feet.
Prior to moving to the 6'0", my years of riding & design led me to a 5'8" x 21 3/4" double wing swallow with the side fins pushed up but the center fin still towards the back (two fin-base widths from swallow cut). This design came about from my days as a single fin rider who rode more forward than most.
I started the transition to forward fin placement in about 1984.

And that's what it takes. Just start with a design, ride the heck out of it and then modify for the next board and the next and the next. Fortunately, today there are killer used boards out there and very few dogs.

Looks like its time for a Gathering so people can swap boards and give various designs a go.
kbing since plywood days
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Jackson,

You wont be sorry if you get one of each and plus its good for the economy. Then you can make up reasons to go places and use them! All the above advice is good, the bs is the price of advice on this site. :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

eqKneelo wrote:
hart wrote:
PaulN..if I ever do T'shirts, I'll let you know brother :roll: but I'm thinkin about getting into skinny cigarettes instead..its soooo 90's right now :D :D
Hold on a second, Brucey... shouldn't you at least be able to ride a Flashpoint before you get a free t-shirt? :wink:
ZING!
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
dua anjing

Post by dua anjing »

budgie wrote: QUOTE from SIMON FARRER from the same subject a while back in the forum:

...... Fin placements, board length, width, positioning of the knees on the deck whether it be forward, mid, back or right on the tail, together or apart all gives a different experience & all should be attempted to figure out what gives you the bigger rush & result that you are after. What is important is that there is more to riding a board than just catching a wave.
The fun is finding it out.
I live in my own little world, But it's OK they know me there.
skansand

Post by skansand »

maxb wrote: and if you want to try a romo pm me and we will see what we can do
RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE AND ABOVE ALL, ENJOY YOUR TIME IN THE WATER,WHATEVER VEHICLE YOU RIDE(even handboards right backer :wink: ) max

.....just gotta glass my 5'8 quad to make at an even trade in the water 8)

and thanks for reminding me about handboards! i broke my foam/glass handboard (first thing i ever laminated) at Wedge this summer...

theres been some amazing wood ones on swaylocks lately...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
kbk66

Post by kbk66 »

ska Ill let you try my quad 5'4" romo if you want to try something really loose
maxb

Post by maxb »

tom when we get some waves we need to get together for a surf. been surfing oxnard on most swells lately. much better than around home.
max
kbing newport
skansand

Post by skansand »

i thought your 5'4 was your big wave board?

for small waves im sold on surfmats....

ive got a 5'3 keel fish that is Looose but by no means a small wave board...

id like a romo-ish quad for wedgy barrels....for days like our last sesh 3-5' sandy barrels up to 15' Wedge...

Do you Romo guys play with your fin set up for different conditions?
kbk66

Post by kbk66 »

the red-x fins allow movement, and red-x fiberglass fins, carbon, if you look at wetsand they have a bunch of fins in the store section
skansand

Post by skansand »

ive got a good collection of FCS and FUTURES....but im sold on the PRO-BOX fin system as the best out there....

what im asking is ... do you ride your Romo from 5' to 12' or whatever , using the same fin set?

i had a shoelkopf that worked from 3' to soft 10' with the same fins but if it was solid 10' i needed bigger sides....