fins forward or back

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)

fins forward or back

Post by JACKSON »

i was noticing it seems the cali shapers tend to build their boards with fins back while the aussies are forward. what would be better in a slower wave. ive talked to quadfin and he likes the fin forward boards. talk to me like im 10 years old . i know nada about kbs :D thanks
gumby
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by gumby »

First go clean up your room.... :lol:

Verry simple moving the fins forward changes the piviot point. The way KB's are driven more from the center. Stand up boards are driven from the back foot. Fins back. So the fin placement forward makes it easyer to turn. Now with the piviot point forward you can ride a longer board. With increased board length easyer to catch waves. The name of the game.

Now go see if your mother needs help with dinner. :wink:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
maxb

Post by maxb »

simple answer: try both and decide for yourself, otherwise this topic is nevvvver ending :roll: :roll: :roll:
max
kbing newport
maxb

Post by maxb »

almost forgot i like them back 8)
kbing newport
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

maxb wrote:simple answer: try both and decide for yourself, otherwise this topic is nevvvver ending :roll: :roll: :roll:
the problem is , in texas its almost impossible to find a kb to try. you have to buy one to find out :) max
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

it's hard to discuss this subject without arguing the merits of quads vs. tris and for that matter whether or not to wear flippers :?
which of course will lead to length and volume :lol:
personally i like my twin fins forward of my trailer fins....but thats just me.
if i was telling a ten year old i would say forget about the board dude.......save your duckets and go someplace where the waves barrel so hard you could ride a wal-mart boogie board and still get shacked off your tits. 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
ezak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ezak »

Be careful though, who knows what they'd do to you after saying that to a 10 yr old kid in Texas. :lol:
surf with soul
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

Its pretty simple.

Fins back = close minded retro-grouch who wants kneeboarding to die a slow death and never gain any new practitioners.

Fins foward = open minded beacon of progressive thinking, not unlike Jeanne Grafalo, who knows its this style of board who will push kneeboarding into the mainstream so Bruce Hart and the other guys all get their own clothing lines.

It was all very confusing to me so I took up watching TV instead.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
skansand

Post by skansand »

Quiver Theory.... ride specified boards for specified waves...

You only have to look at the shapers location to know what kinda waves his boards work in....

Romonosky , refined his boards at the WEDGe , fins way back, (12" ? ) says a kneelo should never need a board bigger then 5'8 ....

Ive only seen the boards work in juicy holow waves.....

Buddy Mcray/Blast , Refined his design on the North Shore, hawaii ...fins somewhere around (14") for his Main design the quad F2k Fish...the ones i rode needed juice......

(buddy also make aussie tri fin (17") that make use of more length...)

and a Stub Vector that i would reccomend to get!

(where that Oside contest video of Tom backer killin it on his stub?)

...Drift/ROb Slater in South OZ makes his special aussie Tris (16") for juicy slabs but seem to work very well in smaller quality waves too...

Bruce Hart /Flashpoint sets his fins 17-18" and promotes longer lengths...like 6'1

these boards have been refined in Point surf and work best in point waves or someplace with a big wall....

Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Here we go again.

Sometimes I wonder if some guys are trolling and use this particular topic just to watch a bunch of half-men electronically choke each other out.

No offense, Jackson...unless you're a troll. :wink:

What to ride, you ask?

Grab something (a real kneeboard, not a surfboard that LOOKS like a kneeboard) and give it a try. I'm a quad fish guy, myself...because it suits my style and that's what works best for ME.

I personally believe that if you try a board that just doesn't work for you, you shouldn't have to adapt or adjust your style to fit that particular board...try another one that best suits YOUR style.
skansand

Post by skansand »

more wierd stuff...coming off aussie tri's

i rode a 6'0 F2k in 8' Pointish bolsa... and could NOT turn it at all....

later i rode a 6'3 F2k at 8' churches and It was the best board id ever rode.....full 180+ turns and instant speed recovery...

something to do with tail rocker....

Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

[quote="kidrock"]Here we go again.

Sometimes I wonder if some guys are trolling and use this particular topic just to watch a bunch of half-men electronically choke each other out.

No offense, Jackson...unless you're a troll. :wink:

no troll, just an old surfer of58 with 43 years surfin the gulf coast. im very stoked about kneeboarding. our waves dont have the punch you guys haveand i only know one kbr here and hes about 5 hrs down the coast. quadfin, nice guy and hes trying to help me out . but i can use all the help i can get. i post on elride international all the time if you want to check me out :D
joe

Post by joe »

This looks like a board that would work well in small Texas surf

[albumimg]18724[/albumimg]
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Jackson,

In case I haven't said it before, Welcome to the site.

The board Joe listed does look like a great Gulf KB. It would help to know your size...seems like half of the half men on this site are Banty Roosters, and the rest of us are Foghorn Leghorns.

Some type of rounded pin would probably float you well in Gulf surf...I'm still looking to take a trip out to South Padre Island when my job allows it.

Good Luck and Good Surfing...let us know how the board search turns out.

P.S.---we love pix of boards and surf.

kidrock out.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

PaulN wrote:Its pretty simple.

Fins back = close minded retro-grouch who wants kneeboarding to die a slow death and never gain any new practitioners.

Fins foward = open minded beacon of progressive thinking, not unlike Jeanne Grafalo, who knows its this style of board who will push kneeboarding into the mainstream so Bruce Hart and the other guys all get their own clothing lines.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i've often thought of how much Jeanne Grafalo and Bruce Hart have in common. such progressive thinkers :!: :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head