I need advice on a board help please

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

HIVERSEN
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

I need advice on a board help please

Post by HIVERSEN »

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum, so i hope I am in the correct froum for asking for advice on getting a board.

I used to knee board alot in the early 80's to to mid 90's but have only been out a few time s in the last couple of years. I have an old board that i had shaped in the early 80's and its the only board i have ever had, when I hade it made I weighed 150 pounds I am now much bigger 195 pounds and 5 feet 10 inches tall. My old board just does not work for me anymore, it was only 5 feet 3 inches long and it was a thurster with an adjustable middle fin. I'm pretty sure I need a much bigger board now.

I live up the block from doheny in Dana Point and I just want to start getting out in the water again, I know it is not the best place to ride a knee board but it is close and I can go almost everyday and hopefully get back into riding again and get in shape to go riding other places, I surf fish alot there at old short jetty where the creek comes into the ocean and at times during the winter I have seen some pretty nice sand bars form and some nice waves are smack in front of me and no one is out, I want to try riding them again.

So after all that can anybody give me suggestions on size and shape and fins for this type of wave and for my body size? I just want to say thanks for any help you can give me in advance

HIVERSEN
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

Hello, HIVERSON...Welcome to the site. This is a subject that is frequently discussed, and opinions vary. Check these threads below, and get back to us.

viewtopic.php?t=4348

viewtopic.php?t=4447

Many good KB breaks in the Dana Point/Laguna area. I'm sure someone will offer up some good advice and want to share a surf with you. Good Luck and Good Surfing,

kidrock out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Also a welcome. That is (Doheny in Dana Point) a fat wave. I have got some great days there. :shock: As my buddy calls it the hammer. Good long waves not a lot tube :P Lots of beginners to ride around. Great place to get wet and get back in to KB shape. Fat old chargers like me. I suggest 5' 10" to 6' 1" quad. Get a board and get in the water. See you there :D
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
HIVERSEN

Post by HIVERSEN »

Thanks for the input from both of you
I went and read thru some of the old forum posts and found some info that I could use. Some of the posts had said for "mushier" slower surf that a Dean Cleary Quest model would be good for the conditons that are here at Doheny most of the time. I know that Dean Cleary is in Santa Ana here in Orange County. Has anybody had him shpae them a board before? or perhaps used his boards or know someone who has?

Or if anybody has a used board that they want to sell that they think might be of use to me please let me know. Like I said I am here in Dana Point in Calif. so I could go to LA or San Diego to look at something or buy something.

Again any advice would be appreciated, and thanks again.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Sending you a PM.

I've got an Old Blast Tri I was thinking of selling.
Jack Beresford

Dean Cleary

Post by Jack Beresford »

I believe Dave Marguiles rides a Dean Cleary but where he surfs in Monterey Bay is far from mushy!
Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

try a few boards

Post by Doc Turbo »

I recently completely changed boards (in the last 3 years) shapers, lengths, etc. Living in California, you will have access to some inexpensive used boards, and some deals from Blast and others.

Stay with a shaper who specializes in kneeboards if you can

Sent a email to you..
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Hiversen.. I ride a Dean Cleary part of the time... I have 3 boards that I ride on a reg bases and thay are from different shapers. My DC, I bought from Scott H. here on the site. I know he did have a couple of other DC boards that he want to get rid of. The one I got is 6-6'1"? X 24 and it`s thick. I`m from a different school the most of the guys one this site. When I go surfing, I just pick a board and thats the one i`m going to ride. No matter what the condistions are.
So don`t just limit yourself to one shaper unless thats the one you want. I see that EQ is selling a blast and Barry is selling a board or 2 and i`m sure there are others. Check them out.
I`ll leave the KB shaper comment alone :wink:
gumby

Post by gumby »

toofast3 wrote:Hiversen.. I`m from a different school the most of the guys one this site. When I go surfing, I just pick a board and thats the one i`m going to ride. No matter what the condistions are. :wink:

I knew there was a trick to your surfing. .....Commitment 8)
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
frog

Post by frog »

HIVERSEN

Welcome Back!
I had the similar problem as you. I found this site to be helpful in finding new boards! I have a 5'6" Freeline Fish kneeboard I want to sell. I am the same weight and ht. as you. Should fit your needs quite well. I'll let it go for 250.00.

I do know someone who had Dean Cleary Board 6'0" He swear by it. I myself have 3 type of kneeboards shape. Fish, Qaud, and Tri-fins. All which work well in all type of waves. Am sure there is a lot of us will help you out.

Welcome back...Frog