FIRST TRY

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)

FIRST TRY

Post by JACKSON »

WENT OUT YESTERDAY . PROPS TO YOU GUYS . NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS . FELT VERY AKWARD WITH THE SWIMFINS. DID GET 3OR 4 PRETTY FUN RIDES WITH SOME NICE CUTBACKS. I NEED LOTS OF PRACTICE AND A REAL BOARD :D
Troz and Chayno

Post by Troz and Chayno »

Ditch the flippers buddy... This will probably start a few arguments on here, but your better off without them.
You'll have less weight and less drag...
Good to see your giving our sport a try, you'll be hooked in no time. :D
Chayno
jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jdc »

flippers are sexy :!:

girls ask to borrow mine all the time 8)

its the foreplay of surfing :idea:

but its the waxing on that defines it above bellie boarding...and thats just missionary anyway :arrow:

no flipper types just get staight to it :oops:

girls dont like that
:roll:

in general :wink:
i like surfing
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

You should try with and without flippers and decide for yourself. As for me I go both ways :wink: :roll:
KEL

Post by KEL »

Wayne....I had no idea!!!!!!!!!!! :oops: :shock: Hey Jackson, welcome to the kneelo club, flippers or no flippers....best group of people Ive ever met. KEL
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Jackson-

Chanyo is easily one of the top 5 Kneelos in the world right now... listen to him.
Better advice never given.
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

NO FLIPPERS AND OLD FART WEAKER PADDELER = LONGER THICKER BOARD I WOULD ASSUME. SCHOOL ME :D
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

FWIW, 200 pounds is just not that big (unless you're 4'10"). If I remember, you stated you're 6' and 200 pounds. Hardly "fat" or "overweight".

I reckon you feel clumsy because A) you've been out of the water for awhile, and/or B) you're new to kneeboarding, and last but not least C) because you don't yet have a KNEEBOARD.

Get a board...if EQ wants to sell you his Blast, you probably couldn't find a better starter.

I'm a "fins guy". I think they give me an advantage due to more power in my strokes, making it easier to get into waves...and I paddle stronger than 90% of the standups in the water.

I'm not knocking the "no-fins" crew...but one must remember that these guys have been kneeboarding for a much longer time than you. IMHO, I'd use the fins until I grew comfortable in the lineup. Then, if they still bug you, then toss 'em and see how it goes. It's YOUR style...start creating one. Don't be a slave to fashion.

And, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't open up another "Which fins are best" forum. Make it simple, go out and pick up some basic Duck Feet or Churchills. Once you've made the jump into full-time kneeboarding, then you can fine tune your equipment. JUST DO IT!!!
poorboy0007

Post by poorboy0007 »

jdc, when girls ask to borrow your fins, do you let them??? :lol:
I'd be a bit suss if they asked to borrow mine....any girl with a size 13 foot shouldn't be messed with :lol: :lol:
Quick, lets paddle out before we come to our senses!!
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

I always kneesurf with flippers on because I always have. Thought I really only used them for when I got tired paddling back out. Auxillary motor.

Went out last week and found myself without flippers an man it was strange. Paddling was actually faster but when I came to sit on the board I found I use them balance. When i went for a wave I found I use them for a little extra kick and when you come off its suprising how useful they are.

My advice. If you're not already used to them then take Troy and Chaynes advice and ditch em before you get to rely on them.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

Spot on about the balance Howard.
Surfed without fins in my 20`s to increase my stamina and paddling power.
Tried it in my late 40`s but felt like a fish out of water and no confidence, so surfed with 1 fin.
Into my 50`s now and back to 2 fins. May only surf once a week but usually for 3-4 hours plus. At the end of a session, the arms have given way but the legs are still going.
Worth keeping in mind that surfing can be dangerous.
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

FeralMick - I Surfed with a kneelo called Jim from up Gympie/Yumba way over christmas. He's an ex Kiwi and was here at Mt Maunganui for a few weeks. Turns out his niece is a friend of my daughters.

It's a small world after all.
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
JACKSON

stoked

Post by JACKSON »

quadfin let me borrow his 5'10 flashpoint and i finally got into a steep decent wave. so much fun. i was making drop easy that would be tuff on my stand up boards. my eyes were opened. kbing is awsome
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: You're hooked,and thats a good thing!
kidrock

Re: stoked

Post by kidrock »

JACKSON wrote:quadfin let me borrow his 5'10 flashpoint and i finally got into a steep decent wave. so much fun. i was making drop easy that would be tuff on my stand up boards. my eyes were opened. kbing is awsome

yeah, a lot of people just don't understand "kneeboarding" because they try to ride on their knees on a standup board. NOT the same thing. Once they try it on a "real" kneeboard, the light finally comes on. :wink:

So now that you're hooked up with Quadfin, can I assume to see you in some cool shots on SeaGyspy's? 8)

Enjoy the stoke.