Duckdivability?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

fooj
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by fooj »

Couple of finer points:

Learn to look for subtle nuances of weakness in the approaching wave. Head for them. The pockets of the wave where the energy is already expended. For example, paddle toward the soup (expended) and away from a freshly fallen lip (expending).

Open your eyes under water and look for windows of opportunity. No wave is perfectly symmetrical, use this to your advantage. This way you can dodge explosions that will set you back.
bongbong
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

"Bottom Feeder" duck diving

Post by Fossil Man »

This is a great thread, always had a bit more trouble with it since going up to the 5-10"s,6-0"s x WIDE , can't push board deep enough or get sufficient downforce on tail with my knee to escape the ballistic launch effects of the oncoming foam cloud. " Best " duck dive ever?... north side H.B. Pier pushed my trusty 5-5" Haydu (1970s) under an oncoming train, after a few seconds of the obligatory pummeling I found myself pinned flat on my back against the sand bottom, my previously faithful board forming the top slice of bread for this unique undersea sandwich...glad I'd taken a good breath
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

who needs to duckdive when you can buy a competition leash, and just throw your board aside and dive for the bottom?
ezak

Post by ezak »

Or if you really want to look cool... just hit the lip and pretend like your getting air while you fling your board towards the sky. :?
surf with soul
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Submerge! Submerge!

[fullalbumimg]6034[/fullalbumimg]
Bob

Post by Bob »

Duck dive or leash check? You can tell us...which was it?
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Bob,

If that's directed to the pic above, this was one of a few posted awhile back:

album_showpage.php?pic_id=6032

That link will take you to the first pic. The comments pretty much laid out what happened...

This one was a duck attempt after taking a long, brutal thrashing