evolution

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by budgie »

I now know thanks to a past forum what a EMO is ..........

But what the hell is a FIXIE?

And RED just coz something is called a Dead End as I have called the big wide old style Friar Tucks and Greenough Spoons it does not mean that they are,

as you have said

" the future might pick up tips from the past and twist and convert the DEAD End into something useful.

As far as Mick D'Stassios boards go I have never tried one and hopefully will oneday to verify that they would WORK FOR ME OR NOT WORK FOR ME.

Asthetically they are ugly,

as are Rats boards that Stumpy shaped with him,

as are some of the boards that I have ridden of late,

as are yours too RED,

but as I have proven TO MYSELF dont judge a board by the way it looks,

but by how it goes in a variety of surf.

Most guys ride boards that are asthetically pleasing in outline and may not

work that well for them.
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

The golden days are over.[/quote]

..about 20+ yrs ago . Not sure what anything is nowadays :?: :? :shock: :lol:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Since then it's all been about extra innings 8)

Fixie is a fixed-gear bicycle discipline where street functionality is questioned well behind those that wear the form. That's saying a lot for those that are watching.

Or, something like that. Dunno, I put around on a bike.
Last edited by SFKneelo on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terence H

Ugly

Post by Terence H »

Budgie i have been thinking about aesthetically pleasing boards for a bit now.
I concur that just because it looks good to any one of us does in no way mean it is a good wave riding tool.
We have been conditioned over the years by the media ,education and our peers over the years to group think a effective appearing wave riding tool , it is quite possible the Kneeboard of the future is going to be the ugliest board ever seen until we of course get used to it.

Regards
Terence
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Ugly

Post by kidrock »

Terence H wrote:Budgie i have been thinking about aesthetically pleasing boards for a bit now.
I concur that just because it looks good to any one of us does in no way mean it is a good wave riding tool.
We have been conditioned over the years by the media ,education and our peers over the years to group think a effective appearing wave riding tool , it is quite possible the Kneeboard of the future is going to be the ugliest board ever seen until we of course get used to it.

Regards
Terence

hahahahahahaaaa, so true. :lol:

How long will it take for the unwashed masses to realize the genius of a shape with a picklefork nose and assymetrical tails?
Mr. Toofast is kneeboarding's Nostradamus. With a nod and a wink towards CaptKneelo. :wink:

I still think the true parabolic shape (think "shaped skis") are the possible future...kinda the way the alaia is shaped.
KenM

Re: s

Post by KenM »

CaptKneemo wrote:my future board is a 4 wheel cart with an oxygen tank...
and parabolic rails.
kidrock

Re: s

Post by kidrock »

KenM wrote:
CaptKneemo wrote:my future board is a 4 wheel cart with an oxygen tank...
and parabolic rails.

I think CaptKneelo err...Kneemo will agree with you :lol: :lol: :lol:
budgie

Post by budgie »

ahh kneelos and kneemos alike

who cares what we ride ?

whether it is a Kyle Bryant ugly pin Tail, that is ...... the pin tail is ugly?

or a Greg Budgen ugly board if it goes, unreal.

Red, I apologize for calling your current shape ugly...... I KNOW it works for you coz you rip but coz it ugly dont mean it dont work.

I just ordered my first ever David Parkes board and he has been my hero for about 30 years now.
I told Dave the basic dimensions and outline, I also needed to have his input so that it had his experience and influence as a kneelo/ shaper / artist that CANT WAITwould maximise the potential of the outcome of the performance of the experience of riding one of his boards.

Sorry it has taken so long Dave.
crippler
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by crippler »

weirdo`s ,boards that look ugly are always pieces of crap,this doesn`t mean there not fun to ride! all the experimenting is all well and good I love to ride allsorts of craft but if you want a slick shooter that goes unreal the lessons learnt from the experiments need to be then transfered to your high performance stick. I`ve got a pile of boards i love ,but only 2 that are designed to surf my very best on that i would take to a contest.
Hats of to Red and his "ugly boards one man whose done solid experiments noted the results and made each board progress from the next.and with the machine these small changes are really easy to feel!!
budgie swinging alot of uglies around for a bloke with a quiver as uncoventional as yours, red`s surfing has gone through the roof since he`s got involved in experiment and design.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Hi Crippler,
I couldn't agree more I have had a go on one of your refined boards and boy did it go loved it.

I think the beauty of the way a board looks is in the eye of the beholder..

A lot of my boards may look ugly to others. But I think they are beautiful .

I'm a firm believer if you want to change your board, that one change at a time is the best way to go. That way you can work out what the difference in the performance of your board and what change occurred.
This is what Red & Pom have done.

I think the evolution of surfing improves with a sound mined. If you are scattered and all over the place and your direction keeps on changing dramatically. How can you get a consistent targeted improvement in your equipment and self.

People seem to think that chopping and changing there equipment dramatically may be the way they can improve there surfing.The people who have these tendencies tend to only give a new board a go for a couple of weeks and if they don't get instant gratification blame that board.

IMO If you get a new board you should ride it consistently for 3 months in all conditions and clear your mind of over analytical and negative thoughts . Just ride it, then I'm sure you will have the authority to praise or condemn the board.

i see a lot of guys get on this site bag long kneeboards , thick or wide.

But I guarantee you that these people have not given the boards a chance by riding them for a long enough period before they make their decision and give us their opinions on them. And if there not for them fine..

I think a lot of surfers don't reach there goals not because of equipment but because of an unfocused mind.

Champions are made not only because of physical ability but also have a superior mind set

Have fun

:P :P
budgie

Post by budgie »

Stanley,

How can a board be changed one moment at a time when yours dont change, they are the same.

X amount of board s for X amount of conditions.

IE: a board for 1ft waves , a different board for 2ft to 4ft waves, a different board for 4 ft to 5ft waves, a different board for 5ft to 6ft waves, etc,etc,etc.

ONE SINGLE BOARD CAN BE CAPABLE IN 1FT TO 10FT, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT DUE TO ..................

(QUOTE Stan)
scattered and all over the place and your direction keeps on changing dramatically. How can you get a consistent targeted improvement in your equipment and self.

Your lack of motivation for change might have something to do with your lack of ability to change

(QUOTE Stan)
People seem to think that chopping and changing there equipment dramatically may be the way they can improve there surfing.The people who have these tendencies tend to only give a new board a go for a couple of weeks and if they don't get instant gratification blame that board.

Stan I have had my boards for years, except for the 6ft and stupidly thick pieces of junk that were supposed to be yours but werent THICK ENOUGH, so I helped the shaper out financially by purchasing your TOO THIN mistakes to give them a go.

And guess what they dont work, WHY coz they are too thick............ hey but they were too thin for you.

FUSSY

Stanley, your motivation is not there to experiment with a VERSATILE board , instead you have to have a different one for all occasions.

Once again you are a contradiction to your own stream of what works and what doesnt.

(QUOTE Stan)
Just ride it, then I'm sure you will have the authority to praise or condemn the board.

You seem to break a board before you know whether it will work or not, so once again how can you live by what you PREACH
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

:D
Last edited by Stanley on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kidrock

Re: wdda

Post by kidrock »

CaptKneemo wrote:ever try putting with a driver.... :wink:

:P :P :P
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

USE MY 3 WOOD ALL THE TIME BUT YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT VERY STIFF :shock: