Alaia kneeboard?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Basswombat
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Alaia kneeboard?

Post by Basswombat »

This may be a crazy question but... I've got a couple of alaia blanks coming my way. I'm going to make an 8', and out of the second blank was contemplating a 3' paipo-style board and then potentially a 5' kneeboard version from the remainder. My gut feel is that it might be a bit short, but I guess I'll never know unless I try. I've scoured the web for any alaia kneeboard clues but haven't found anything... anyone?

Cheers
Chuck
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Basswombat

Have you looked at www.surfresearch.com.au

they where made from 6ft up and ridden prone ,knees and standing
good luck
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Basswombat

Post by Basswombat »

Cheers scoop, thanks for that. Will let you know how I go.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

that sounds cool, I definitely want to see and hear about the ongoing project and finished result if you get it up and running. 8)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Isn't this essentially returning to the paipo days of the 60's when we were trying to learn how to get up to our knees on the dang things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58kY5jsLTI

(see 1:55 - 3:15)
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
crippler
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by crippler »

Hey bass wombat i too am on the alaia mission i`ve researched alot and am goin for a 6,6 standup and a 5 foot kneeboard model.I have been in contact with a couple of kiwi surfers and a couple of californian they have both told me for the kneeboard not to go to wide maybe 20" and due to the finnless nature that on the wider kneeboard models that carving the rail to a mild parabolic curve will help keeping the rail engaged.but one thing i do know that there is no set formula even tom wegener has written that over thinking and over complicating the shape will usually not make it perform better simple outlines and a slight v seem to be the common thread have fun maybe soon we can compare creations
surfhorn

paipo

Post by surfhorn »

Have Jon Manss build you a plywood paipo.
kbing since plywood days
skansand

Post by skansand »

theres a guy here, bongoman who has a wegener 5'8 i think he was kneeloing it...

the difference between the old paipos and alaias is the length that lets you speedblur down the line and the twangy flex in the Paulownia wood.. Paulownia also floats much higher then plywood....

I bet Greenoughs edgeboard woud be a good template .....Belly in the nose to flat with a squared off tail....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Bintang Bob
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bintang Bob »

go long in lenght with the board at first, the beauty of this type of board is you can take it back into the shed and modify it whenever you want.... 8) all you need is a hand saw & hand plane, plus more of whatever sealer your using.... Kneelogrl, who about 47 kilos & rides an 5'3" flashie rounded pin, is starting with a 6'0" square tail & will maybe go to shorter with a fish tail design depending on how this outline handles.... I've modifyed an boogie board leash plug to fit the thinner wooden board, that gets installed today.... I'll keep you posted on riding stuff as I get feedback..... Bob
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
Basswombat

Post by Basswombat »

It's been a while since I was originally contemplating this idea... and i'm afraid I never went anywhere with it at the time. I did make a 7'6" that I can barely ride (although I havent really invested enough time in learning how to make it work) and a little 4'6" alaia for my kids although I've had a ball riding prone on it - on the very first wave I ever caught on it I pulled into what I thought was going to be a close out and was shocked when I popped out the other end unscathed. Obviously I was immediately stoked. I did try and kneel on it but it is simply too small for my 6'4/95kg frame.

Currently in the process of building a chambered paulownia 6'1" mini-simmons-style board, but the alaia kneeboard is back in my thinking as next cab off the rank. As you suggest Bintang Bob, I will start at around 6'5" and then trim it back if I feel it needs it. Will post pics when I finally get around to it!!

Here's the longer one:

And here's the 4'6"

skansand

Post by skansand »

found this vid a cpuple days ago,, got me pumped.... sick slab action at the end.....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Bud

Post by Bud »

RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Same footage (pun intended) ... and a few interesting photos.

http://throughtheeyesofaghost.blogspot. ... iding.html

and the man himself today
http://www.ryanfieldphotography.com/ind ... 0&a=0&at=0

Damn fine looking boards Basswombat!