fin counsel

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

stonefish
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

fin counsel

Post by stonefish »

i have to bring up a historical inaccuracy about the twin fin with finlets set up, a fin company is pushing a version of my design with a false claim of invention. i know there are pictures of similar attempts from 1985 or so,but these are still with the three fin mentality. i had a set of my fin design refined in 1985,records of the design even earlier. the thing is they got in a hurry, i feel they are setting back the potential of the design. if you would like the bona fide set of fins from the inventor just look for Stonefish Skegs. in their haste to provide a quick easy pop in fin they didnt consider many factors. my design renders the third center fin unnecessary. the design has shown it works best as a twin fin set up, quads or other multiple fin set ups just detract from the positive handling qualities and increase drag. placement is a big thing as just inserting them where the old thruster side fins go, kills performance. for this reason glass ons are the way to go, i feel a board and its fins should be one tool.i will gladly meet with any Stonefish customer at thier shapers ,in california! so....let it be known that as a kneerider i claim this fin development.
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

thanks for a forum that allows me to beat my chest a little bit. pray for surf in salt creek!
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

ive been busy here in mainland mex promoting stonefish skegs. two standup fish tails now have them and the shapers here are pleased with the concept . they all understand the valid reasons for them being glass ons only. if anyone would like a pair for thier next project board. my next batch will be available in a very short time. ill get photos of the boards being shaped in sayulita. hope to see you in the water when i get back. the surf is on and off but the water is warming up fast.
szrbloke

Post by szrbloke »

The only quads that I know of that are not like Bud or Parkeseys quads are those shaped by Peter Ware?? that I saw Baden Smith on in about 1985-86. Strange boards but they really worked for him!!!
all the best,

Scotty
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

im finish sanding the next batch of fins to go out. im setting up a website for riders to get info direct from me. stonefishskegs.com paypal will be available to purchase a set. give a week or so for me to activate this stuff.
thanks for the good feedback about the design by all the riders. contact me with any questions.im very interested in any shapers comments. im proud to display they are made in the USA. United States Patent and Trademark Office No. D593,176 matures on the 26th may 2009. randy stockstill
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Randy, you may have to press that patent into someone's face, as you probably know, someone is ripping off your design. I was in a surf shop in Pacifica Saturday and saw said ripoffs available for futures and fcs.
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

the fins you refer to are rainbow fins attempt at the design. his version is lacking i feel for these reasons. the surface area and shape of the finlet has not been refined. the fins they display do not take into account the placement factor that enhances the designs performance. they used a standard fin template and did not find out that the design renders the cluster fin set up, having to explain all that extra surface area. i have had to inform him that he is not the one that developed this system. i have confidence that when compared to the way my set up rides people will choose Stonefish Skegs.
he decided to just get a version out quickly and make it conform to what people already have . i chose to be true to what the design has taught me, i have more hours ridding this system than anyone. im happy to send a set out,for that new custom board!
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Ummmm,
Peter Crawford was doing this stuff in the seventies,
but hey, you go for gold my friend.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

always good to hear more info about how things came about. i would like to learn more about peter crawfords experiments with fin design. i know that joe quigg and dave rochlen rode bob simmons twin fins in the early 40s.
in my case ,i saw the potential of this fin configuration for riding my kneeboard in the tube, further development exceeded my expectations and now im excited to share this system with those who ride. im proud to be among those that have been innovative in wave riding design.

add to your quiver, try a set of Stonefish Skegs
maxb

Post by maxb »

randy it was good meeting you at creek during the contest, i'm sorry i didn't try the board you had with you. i'm the bald romo rider you met if you don't remember the name. let me know next time you are in town and we will get a surf in. and judging by that board any one that thinks romo doesn't accept input from from his customers or is not willing to try new ideas couldn't be more wrong.
max
kbing newport
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Don't be too quick to count our Rainbow Fins' experience. Tom McKnight started Rainbow Fins back in the '69/'70 area (I may be wrong on the date by a year or two).

He was next door to Freeline's factory so we were able to have any design fins cut that we dreamed up. We were riding 2, different finlet types during that period. I rode a 5'0"-5'2" tri fin with a 12" center flex fin with 2 1/2" deep side fins (1971). John Mel/Freeline made his own fins at that time and besides the 2 1/2" finlet, John also made a longer based, keel-type finlet. John gave the 12' flex design- which John designed- to Tom and that same 12" flex fin is still in Rainbow's stock.

The relationship with Rainbow continued when our friend Glenn bought Rainbow. John did a lot of experimentation with twinzers and fin design, starting in the late/1970's/early 1980's. I worked at the shop (1976-1979; 1984-1989) and went through a ton of design experiments with John. Glenn/Rainbow would always cut out even the weirdest fin templates I concocted.

Rainbow has always been a leader on fin design for other board sports: sailboarding; wake boarding; kite surfing. They do have experience.
kbing since plywood days
stonefish

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

ive owned and ridden many of thier designs. in fact i would like to have a powwow with them. i had issue with shawd dewitt, who ran the false claim of coming up with this design. in the 70s i had a steve walden sea ski diamondtail single fin kneeboard with 2 1/2" wings then i rode haydu twinfin fishes. i toyed around with extreme canting back then. later i was building santa cruz yachts in the chicken coop, and made a refined mold of the twinfin with finlets. i rode this set up all over the california coast for years in the 90s. shawd might have seen my rig then, who knows. im stoked people are giving it a try. so far its all good response, its about fun!

max im in the newport area for a bit, we need a swell! keep in touch
maxb

Post by maxb »

randy newport 48 - 60th st many barrels this a m surfed 4 hours tons of fun
call me 714 904 6240
max
kbing newport