FCS Quad options..

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

TimM
Local (More than 25 post)

FCS Quad options..

Post by TimM »

I'm waiting for my new stick and was wondering if anyone had some advice on possible fin options? I've opted for FCS plugs and have seen that FCS make some quad-specific sets now, so no need to buy 2 tri-fin sets.. Has anybody tried some of these sets, and possibly have some good advice they could share.. Any info would be appreciated... thanks
Andy

Post by Andy »

Howzit Tim

I always go & scrtach in my local surf shops "spare fins drawer" :lol:
That way I just get what I want, side fins, middle fin etc.... I break or lose them regularly so Ive ended up with a whole %^&load of "odd" fins...lots of fun to play with / experiment.

PS Hows surf up your way? Ive just had a cookin easter up the West coast - 10 sessions in 5 days, pumping 3-5 foot offshore non-stop....
:D
cheers

Andy
TimM

Post by TimM »

Hi Andy

Been a slow start to our season this year, been some good swells but a few unseasonal easterly blows have been spoiling our fun a bit.. still early days though..
Been hearing about some good west swells down there the past few days... Used to see you at E Bay quite a bit before I moved East-side last year, I used to stay at my bud Greg's place on the point there, hope you're keeping well..
NCountyKneelo

Post by NCountyKneelo »

Tim, I have used a couple of the quad sets from FCS. The one thing I have learned is that the aftermarket fin sets make a big difference. they can change a board instantly. If you have a plastic finset and go to one of the higher end, lighter stiffer for example, that board can now become MAGIC! I have the H2c and PC5 finsets currently. I also have a couple sets of handmade fiberglass finsets (double foil). I like the FCS better. I like single foil too. I just think they make your turns crisper. You get more bite. I have only tried the Medium weight range finsets. I had an opportunity to try the Large but they just felt like too much fin in the water. I am 200lbs. ride 5'10-6'2 Schoelkopfs (CA fin forward designs). The next set I am looking at is the R2 set. Similar to PC5 just a bit bigger. I would put these on my 6'0 or 6'2 when it is a bit bigger here 6-8ft faces.

If I was buying a starer FCS finset it would be the PC5 for 6'0 under board riding 6ft and smaller surf. R2 if it was 6'0 and over board for 6ft and over surf.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Regards, NCKneelo. That's North County, San Diego, 92054!
TimM

Post by TimM »

Thanks NCKneelo, that helps heaps... I have a great starting point now...
I weigh pretty much the same as you and my boards are also similar sizes to yours so your info is really relevant to me..
Thanks again