What happened to 'through status quo, we shall grow?'

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

What happened to 'through status quo, we shall grow?'

Post by SFKneelo »

The fin-wearing kneelo version would look something like a 2-D dart...

Link (w/pix:)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 185221.DTL

A certain kneelo change agent is quoted...

(Now Peter, how do you know you don't like it if you haven't even tried it? :lol: )

Also, if you haven't heard of Ideo, check them out.

That's Ideo, not Ikea. :wink:

The only link there is Scandinavian design... polar opposites otherwise!

--------------------------------------------

Designer reinvents the classic surfboard
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, June 19, 2009

The first thing you notice is the shape. It looks like a tadpole. Maybe a duckbill. Yet there's something feminine about its curvy waist and tapered end.

It does not look like a surfboard, which explains the dubious looks Thomas Meyerhoffer gets when he totes his around.

The Swedish designer responsible for Apple's first translucent laptop has gone outside the box again to deliver what he calls his best - and most personal - product to date: a makeover of the classic long board.

Meyerhoffer believes that his reinvention will give surfers a more intimate, versatile ride, as long as they get past that shape.

"Surfers, I would say half of them, are really conservative," Meyerhoffer says on an overcast morning at Montara State Beach, a few blocks from his home and design studio. "You have to get to the ocean, paddle out, get to the right spot, then when you ride your wave, it's like '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,' and your wave is done.

"You don't really want to miss a wave, so there's a certain amount of people who are comfortable with what they ride and don't really get to the point where they want to experiment."

But Meyerhoffer rarely plays it safe. The Stockholm-born designer, schooled on multiple continents, isn't interested in improving products as much as revolutionizing them.

He's worked for Bay Area companies Ideo and Apple and developed innovations in both sports and technology, from wraparound ski goggles to windsurfing sails to the eMate, an Apple product that was the first to use a translucent plastic case.

Inspired by the novel and with a growing passion for surfing, he left Apple in 1998 to build his own design studio. He has always been drawn to user connection - the eMate was all about breaking away from the gray computer box, he says - so it was only natural that he began creating a surfboard based on function.

Many designers add. Meyerhoffer took away.

He cut out the sides, creating a distinct waist and hip that extended the contours - and benefits - of a short board.

He tapered the tail to increase speed, but kept its length to balance the weight up front. There, the width remains to make nose-riding possible.

The result is an unexpectedly fast and fun hybrid, according to some of the sport's most-recognized names. It glides like a long board, turns like a short board. It is light and easy to paddle.

"I was pleasantly surprised," said Maverick's surfer Peter Mel. "I didn't know how good it would feel for how odd it looks. It just had a real nice flow to it."

The Meyerhoffer boards, manufactured by Global Surf Industries, celebrated their international release at the Noosa Festival in Australia three months ago. The official U.S. kickoff is scheduled for later this summer, though a limited number of boards are already available in surf shops on both coasts.

Its appearance at the Mel family's Freeline Surf Shop in Santa Cruz, in fact, made for some lighthearted banter. Patriarch and owner John Mel, who has been shaping his own boards for 40 years, immediately took to Meyerhoffer's design. His son, Peter, like many others, took some convincing.

"I'm really impressed that my son tried it, because he was heckling me when I brought it in," John Mel says. "I was walking with it at the beach the other day, and people looked at me like, 'Oh, boy, John, you really blew it on that one.' "

Instead, the board blew Mel away, which is all Meyerhoffer can ask for. He sees his designs in the same spirit of the retro fish board - simply meant to deliver a different surfing experience - and says he'll continue to develop new boards along with his other secret gadgets.

Two are sports-related. Two are technology products. Meyerhoffer can't say what they are because of the competitive nature of his business. But he's guaranteed to have a hand from start to finish, just as he learned to shape boards before he could redefine them.

"I would say this is by far the best product I've ever designed because it gives people the most happiness," Meyerhoffer says. "It gives people more enjoyment than a technology product. What do you do with that? You get on the Internet. This really wants to give people a different experience so that you rediscover the pleasure of surfing.

"Give it a shot," he later adds. "Enough people have tried it and loved it, but it's not about loving it or hating it. It's a process of letting people try it."
ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

My friend Graydon picked up a Meyerhoffer as a loaner
from Freeline for a few days.

The thing looks like a floating condom but he was ripping on it. :lol:
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

The rails are very similar to what skiers call the "shaped" or parabolic skis that have all but replaced the parallel-cut skis we all used for generations. Very interesting.

Would like to hear some feedback from someone who has actually rode one of these things.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

SteakMac, KR and others... check out the dialogue on the same at -erBB.

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... ost1613770

A bit more on Ideo. It's a company focused on disruptive innovation.

Their corporate culture is centered around this mission.

3M, P&G and lots of others have R&D departments that are largely subsidized by their cash cows.

That part is pretty interesting. If this were your company, how would you organize yourself to continue to pay the bills through just the innovation/idea stage?

It's 'like a group of inventors.' Talk about herding cats...
kidrock

Re: cscs

Post by kidrock »

SFK,

that's an interesting thread...lotsa people giving the guy props, and a bunch of other guys writing him off without any type of research at all. FWIW, I wouldn't care if the board looked like an ironing board, if the end product was a REAL (not imagined) improvement.

Yes, the board looks damn funky...but since I haven't rode one yet, I'm not gonna pi$$ on his work (yet). That would be extremely hypocritical. I bet a lot of people crapped on Simmons back in the day during his experimental periods. I'd ride an alaia if it worked better than what I'm riding.

CaptKneemo wrote:funny. i dont know if you remember kid, i made a kneeboard version about 2 years ago with my shaper bud John Neve. it was 5'8x20 the nose is 17.5 as was the tail, the tail was of course a fish tail. it was super duper amazing fast, but, turning was something else. turned flatter than a true rail to rail rendition of a "true" kneeboard. it is uglier than sh1t! next time your out here in BbtSea we'll give 'er a go maytee!
No, Krusty, I don't remember that board. Where were you hiding THAT one? Are you renting a 4th barn in Turlock where you keep your Secret Stash?

I'll take you up on riding it, tho. Maybe I can try it out at that Super Secret Reef out in yer neck 'o' the woods...I think it's called "Wait-n-See"? It's north of Big Crock and south of Simon's. Way south of Filler's.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Not to take anything away from Meyerhoffer but, didn't Morey do something similar albiet less extreme, sometime ago. It was called a Swizzle.
K-man

Post by K-man »

I believe velzey also had built something similar, more conservative though.56 or 57.... called them bumps.Anyways,the idea was around to break up the rail line,make them turn better.Never caught on...they were considered too ugly..What yogi said..oh oh deja vu all over again!

cheers
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Hey Kid, I reckon that Tom Waits piece off the Mule Variations called "What's he Building in There" probably was written about El Kneemo Supreemo. On his last album he included a tune called "Don't Go into That Barn".

As for Meyerhoffer, I don't know about his revolutionary shape, but he got this bit of his research right.
"Surfers, I would say half of them, are really conservative," Meyerhoffer says
I reckon that as real Festerites, all us half-men should give him the benefit of a fair hearing.
albert

Post by albert »

didnt Tom Morey do this 15 years ago?

I remember seeing a very similar shape to this way back...
K-man

Post by K-man »

The morey thing.Man could sell fridges to the eskimos,,,,, :lol:

http://noseriding.com/pages/swizzle.htm