Catch surf Y-Twin of Quad or 9 Fish Puffer

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

tayars

Catch surf Y-Twin of Quad or 9 Fish Puffer

Post by tayars »

I am looking for a knee board for smaller surf in New England. I am 57 years old 6'2" and 200lbs and I have looked at the Catch Surf boards in a 5' and 5'6" in shops. Anybody have any knowledge about using as a kneeboard. The deck seems like it would be easy on the knees. I have a 5' pu semi spoon in CA for larger waves but these conditions do not happen that often in the east, or at least not when the water isn't in the 40's.
The other board that I have thought about for a smaller wave knee board is the 9 fish Puffer which is 4'11" long 3 1/4" thick and 25" wide
Tom
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

Tom,

no kneeboarder on this site will recommend either of those boards. Both are probably good standup boards, but are not real kneeboards. Believe it or not, there are many differences. Many will tell you of their experiences of attempting to kneeboard on something that looked like a KB, but actually wasn't...and then rode an actual KB, and describe it as if flipping on a switch. Yes, it's THAT different.

RECOMMENDATION: Go thru the "used board" section on this website, there are many good KB's available here. This site also has links to many good shapers who shape KB's exclusively. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

There is a small group of close-knit, hard core kneeboarders on the Right Coast. While you may not find any true kneeboards "off the rack" at your local shop, it will pay off to hook up with some of these guys. Stay tuned.

good luck and welcome to kneeboarding.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

kidrock wrote:Tom,

no kneeboarder on this site will recommend either of those boards. Both are probably good standup boards, but are not real kneeboards. Believe it or not, there are many differences. Many will tell you of their experiences of attempting to kneeboard on something that looked like a KB, but actually wasn't...and then rode an actual KB, and describe it as if flipping on a switch. Yes, it's THAT different.

RECOMMENDATION: Go thru the "used board" section on this website, there are many good KB's available here. This site also has links to many good shapers who shape KB's exclusively. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

There is a small group of close-knit, hard core kneeboarders on the Right Coast. While you may not find any true kneeboards "off the rack" at your local shop, it will pay off to hook up with some of these guys. Stay tuned.

good luck and welcome to kneeboarding.
100% Great advice.
capesurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by capesurf »

Tayars,
I live on the Outer Banks. I'm 5'8" and 195lbs. and what I will be riding is a 5'10" epoxy quad. The dimensions are 5'10"x 22 3/4" x 2 5/8". It has a 17 7/8" nose and a 17 1/4" tail. The width across the tips of the swallow is 10 1/4". It's being made by Scott Busbey of IN THE EYE here in Buxton, NC. It's very similar to this board of Jim Norton's (jimithesaint) at http://www.surfintheeye.com/intheeye/index.php/page/2/
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I know nothing of the shaper, but I'll admit that the board shown in that link looks pretty sweet.

You guys are damn lucky to be so close to what is arguably the best and most consistent break(s) on the East Coast. :wink:
RMcKnee

inlays

Post by RMcKnee »

Very sweet looking board, capesurf. Can you post some feedback on performance when you get her wet?

Are you getting the foam inlay panel on the deck, and are you using any kind of stick-on foam deck pad? Would be really interested in your reports about how that inlay works.

Tayars, here's hoping you're making contact with your local shaper. Looks like he's delivering the goods.
capesurf

Re: inlays

Post by capesurf »

RMcKnee wrote:Very sweet looking board, capesurf. Can you post some feedback on performance when you get her wet?
Are you getting the foam inlay panel on the deck, and are you using any kind of stick-on foam deck pad? Would be really interested in your reports about how that inlay works.
I am getting the core cell inlay. Scott has had a lot of success with it. I'm putting Bud's Blast deckpad on it.

Here's a comment by jimmithesaint on his board in the link;
Hey Scott –
I got a chance to try it out Sat in some good barrels – It goes unreal, fast; holds in on steep drops and carves – excellent riding board. Should be perfect for Nica next month !!
Thanks
Jim N