another newbie needs help

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

2knees
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

another newbie needs help

Post by 2knees »

I accidently came across a video of the 2007 kneeboard championships in santa cruz, and instantly knew I had to get me one of these!!!!! Go kart on water!!!! Yahoooo! Just a few questions. How do you effectively duck dive one of these with fins on? Which fins are the best? I have been looking at the pod 2s, but I have a size 12 foot, and I am sure I will use booties under the fins, can't surf without them. I am 6' 1" 210lbs, 36 years old, and am having a 5'8" quad fin shaped in the style of Romanowsky's quad fin with the fuller fatter profile. However, I just commissioned that board so any thoughts from your knee boarding brain trust could still be incorporated. 1000 thank yous to any responders. I am sure you salty kneeboarding dogs get tired of answering these questions, but knowledge is king! Now please excuse me, I have a "board meeting" I must attend.
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

well hello there ...

Post by RMcKnee »

2K, the flipper debate has been flogged mercilessly to beyond several inches of its life in a number of threads elsewhere on this site. Delve into those old threads and prepare to be either amazed or bored rigid. Cappy above is as near the mark on the subject as anyone.

As far as the basics are concerned, avoid the common misconceptions, which are:
A. Any shaper can make a kneeboard. Not true. KB shapers are few and far between. Most of 'em are listed on the front page of this site. Go elsewhere at your peril.
B. A kneeboard is just a smaller, wider surfboard. People who think like this are probably the kind of folks who would try to play a CD on a record player. Kneeboards are different, so they ride different.
C. Kneeboarding is easier than regular stand-up surfing. Brother, the duck-diving conundrum you've already identified is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe you can achieve basic competence relatively quick, but from there, well, have a good look at one of Simon Farrer's videos and you'll realise it's a long way to the top.

All that aside, welcome to a real exclusive little world of weirdness. If you like being a freak, you'll love kneeboarding.

PS I think Cappy was making a joke about the 6'4" above, but ... I'm not sure ... he's a little weird sometimes.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

As far as fins go, Duck Feet=Power. Easily the fastest-paddling fin made, but will tear your feet up like no other. I still have the 30+ year-old festering volcanoes on my feet to prove it.

Many will pipe on here about the myriad other fins available, like Vipers, and my personal favorite...the Hot Buttered Octo-Moms. Try 'em all, it's all about personal preference. Feet are like snowflakes, eh?

As far as boards go, that opens up another can 'o' worms. A lot of different opinions here, but it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. Give us an idea where you live and what kind of surf you plan on kneeriding (reef, reef!!!) and some of the contributors will be glad to give you more advice than you can handle.

good luck, and welcome to kneeboarding.
2knees

newbie needs help

Post by 2knees »

Thank you all for your responses. I live and surf on the central coast of california, Cambria to be exact. Surf varies from sick and hollow but finicky reefs to to slower mushy on shore beach breaks, the later being the most prevelant because of convienence. Never any lack of size, but shape is an elusive mystress. I am sure I will be riding all of the above, so I have been talking about an overall forgiving board with the shaper. Any further thought?
Thanks again.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Given the stretch of coastline, figure out first fin socks vs. hard-sole booties

Hard-sole may tend to create more cramps

I go with fin socks, unless on travel to surf over sharp reef

I also tend to go with full fin socks, not any that are cut. What this helps prevent is skin on fin friction that can lead to those volcanic craters on the ankles or top of foot.

Fit the fin while wearing the sock/bootie. You'll probably bump up a size

Not too snug, not too loose

Fins take awhile to break in. Any chafing should decrease over time as the fin settles in, as well as your body getting used to them

Expect cramping as you get used to using muscles in new way. This should subside.

Alternate between paddling and kicking to ease this.

4WD = sprint
2-H (arms only) to give your legs a break, like when paddling against current.
2-L for the compliment to 2-H.
Don't use 2-L for take-offs, either 2-H or 4WD.

No fins are also an option. The only advice here is to go with booties/socks to reduce the friction and impact against the board

But, like McKnee said, Search is your friend or sedative on this topic!
Kev

Re: another newbie needs help

Post by Kev »

2knees wrote: !!!!! Go kart on water!!!!
I've seen seen or heard it described that way before
8)
but
that really works for me
G forces
Low and so every things looks bigger
KB's can tend to swarm the take of zone and with a variety of ways to take a corner ... make a turn

yep
works for me
KenM

Post by KenM »

2ny, go with the full foot fin socks like SF suggested. If you use 3mil go with the Churchill fins, if you go with 5mil get XXL Dafins. Duck diving, try using one knee on the board when pushing the board in and then extend the opposite leg behind you.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

KenM wrote:2ny, go with the full foot fin socks like SF suggested. If you use 3mil go with the Churchill fins, if you go with 5mil get XXL Dafins. Duck diving, try using one knee on the board when pushing the board in and then extend the opposite leg behind you.

3rd, try to get KenM to sell you one of his Toby's. Lord knows, enough of us have been unsuccessful in this ploy. :wink:
KenM

Post by KenM »

I heard Cap'n Kneemo has one for sale. I can't sell mine because I promised to keep it for at least as long as I waited for it.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

KenM wrote:I heard Cap'n Kneemo has one for sale. I can't sell mine because I promised to keep it for at least as long as I waited for it.

Good one dude, I'll buy that :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd buy Krusty's in a heartbeat, but I'm out of cabbage. I got to ride it, and it is HANDS DOWN one of the best kneeboards I've ever rode. Right up there with my old Lissesesssesss.

I guess the old days of getting a Bargain Basement Toby are gone forever...or did those days even really exist? :roll:
KenM

Post by KenM »

Glad you got it. Yes, black side up, I almost tried the other way around first time out.And don't over inflate it. :wink: :lol:
kidrock

Re: jgvkv

Post by kidrock »

CaptKneemo wrote:bam! i wont. hahahahahah theres a new kook in the water down at hezzbalahs on the morrow! its black bll season, yipppeeeee! boing boing boing (the sound of a mat skippin across the slop)!

so, who's the new kook???

ooohhhh, wait a minute...ok, never mind :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RMcKnee

meet the new kook, same as the old kook.

Post by RMcKnee »

You see 2knees? Weird weird weird. It's all just weird, weirdy weirdness.
kosmicdreamer
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: hgfhf

Post by kosmicdreamer »

CaptKneemo wrote:i surfed with these fellers from my kirk today after work. they are all standies. i showed up with my latest paipo. they were like what is that? i tried to explane but, their squiggle butt mentality couldnt grasp the concept...the conversation quickly turned to firewires, surftechs and the like. surfdom and magazine riders rule, vomit!
they must have been from oildale....
still ridin with all these broken parts....
GRAYMAN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by GRAYMAN »

I'm a fan of Octoblades. They do collect gravel though so may need customization as shown:

Also, trimming fins to prevent overhang is always good.

On the drainage holes, were I to do this again, I'd use a hole saw.

G