TWIN FINS

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

stonefish
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

fin shui

Post by stonefish »

it shouldnt surprise you that im chiming in. i invite all wave riders and shapers to view my website
www.stonefishskegs.com
it was my hope to bring what many believe to be the feral twinfin to heel. my design has exceeded my expectations. confidence in a drawn out power turn.
until i get the site finished feel free to direct questions to
randystockstill@yahoo.com
or use this forum. they are available now ready to be glassed on to your custom board. thanks for your interest. randy
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

s.c.i.

Post by RMcKnee »

Website looks like it's shaping up to be the goods. Thanks stonefish.
jdc

Post by jdc »

the idea of pushing twins back to gain control is unaustralian :arrow: in the modern fin foward, lean foward, drive and attack sense 8)
i like surfing
albert

Re: acnj

Post by albert »

CaptKneemo wrote:does it really feel good to lean forward and errrr squ....errrr slide around on all fours or is it just a points gathering mechanism? bark bark = i dont need the points.
they dont slide out if you put them on rail capt...
griz

Post by griz »

and I`m not going to touch the fins forward/back issue here.
:roll:
albert

Post by albert »

oops! :oops:

seems like I had a momentary lapse of the ignore button!!!

ill just leave this here... Image... just for good measure
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Albert, I think the good captain's not quite himself today.
mFox
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by mFox »

"ALBERT" I have been trying to get my hands on an affordable strapper twinny to try out for a long time, mainly just to see what they ride like. Sadly as mentioned by others on this site, most riders of strappers dont visit this site
Albert, when next your down this way (PI comp??) your welcome to take mine out mate.

Hey Guys, yeah I've been on this Disass twinnie for a several months now.... honestly I love it!!! It suits the way I surf :-) The way they ride is certainly different to tri's and does not suit all but... the biggest difference (for me) is ...... the Fun Factor!!!!! hey a bit of slip n slide in the back of your mind keeps you mindful of making use of your rail. Disass has put together a very good board that can handle a fair bit of punch very well!!! more than I was expecting (5'10" in solid 6' waves with no prob) true the line you draw off the bottom is shorter but tweaking the plan shape can add more length to you bottom turn, what they do off the top and in the pocket is the gem :-). Don't forget that he's had the perfect testing ground... winki/bells.

I come from the single fin (loved em) era but from the stand up world and never had much success with thrusters then being front foot oriented. Did not mind the twinnie's, sadly true that I spun them out left right n centre (changed your repertoire by necessity).
KB thrusters work and feel way different to stand up and I found I could actually ride em (thanks Bruce... Ziggy will never leave me :-)) true that you can't drive em off the tail like a board but... different approach and angle of KB v SU make it a moot point.
Still comes down to.... are you having fun??? only way to find out is to try and see. JDC, if you drop in to see Mick he may be let you ride one of his.... they are!! a different toy.
Have to try a quad out one day... still haven't ridden one to date.
Fox
KenM

Post by KenM »

albert wrote:oops! :oops:

seems like I had a momentary lapse of the ignore button!!!

ill just leave this here...
Hmmm, if we can get these two to ignore each other, can world peace be far behind? :wink:
KenM

Re: ddvx

Post by KenM »

CaptKneemo wrote:arrrrrrrrrg :twisted:
Don't worry Cappy, I'M not ignoring you.
------------------------------------------------------------
Ignoring the ignore button.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

My $.02
My twins and twinzers vs quads and thrusters have been such different "fish" shapes with regards to rocker, channels, rail transitions etc. - every board is so different, they're like night & day. My old Lis-style fish vs my quad/twinzer fish - Light years difference in speed and turning ability for the modern design vs the old one, but I couldn't and wouldn't pin it down to the fins.

One note- I have taken the canards off my quad/twinzer a few times to check the difference, there is a noticeable change in turn radius and speed. But then I really should change out the remaining twins to keels to make the true comparison :roll:
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Thankyou
Last edited by Steeno on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
jdc

Post by jdc »

CaptKneemo wrote:
...inquiring Aussies want to know

pretty much waiting for the guru to respond on this one!

but now thats been done:

in general inquiring aussies want to know useful things like whose shout it is, or, (vicco specific) how to get tickets to the stkilda in the grand final?

When we younger bra removal techniques were often inquired about too.

now sex seems to be taking a back seat to surfing (lasts longer and is more reliable :wink: ...(despite or poor run of swell) I believe inquirey into twin fins was the topic.

SOOOO

would a swallow tail aid the drive factor of a twin fin in and outa turns?
i like surfing
stevea

twin fins

Post by stevea »

Twin fins loved em at the time they could be turned harder ,pulled tighter arcs and enabled the generation of more speed ,they were a higher branch on the evolutionary tree and led of course to Simon Anderson,s thruster of the early 80s
As a kneebord surfer shaper designer working out of the Energy factory at the time i didnt hesitate to try the thruster concept, with negative results i based this on the fact that Simon had the heaviest and lightest back foot in surfing at that time .in short i had trouble with top turn response ,rather than persevere i went back to twins until one particular board i made myself decided to consistently slide slip at the most inappropriate time ,had i cloned a previous board i may not have had a problem ,but i was always keen to try something untried result a 5 2 x 23 from a throw away blank ,wedge shaped aka surf ski of the era ugly as hell ,glassed to look like it sat under a house for 10 years with twin boxes
So here i was with a board that not only over responed off the top but every other time i tried to turn
Solution simple stick a couple finger fins off a scrap of fin panel behind the front 2
WOW clip bang what a thang the Earthrise quad was born and opened my eyes to the fact that there are no absolutes if it works for you fantastic
singles twins tris quads fins forward /back straight line surfing comps no comps turns tubes fat girls brown girls beer bourbon if its fun its fun
jdc

Post by jdc »

we are loosing the cricket so one last peek here before bed :roll:

hey stevea

i agree there are no absolutes across the community however, on an individual level i think that there are.

A few have commented here and elswhere that a certain board, fin, or fin configuration does or does not work for them due to their style, locale or destination.

so again, no particular model is best, but one attribute of such a discussion is understanding how things work rather than just excepting.

Basically Im pretty sure I know what I want (though a few mind changes even today) Now Im interested in why things work.

Sometimes that comes from knowing why attributes you do not want wont work for you in a given situation :idea:
i like surfing