twin to quad conversion

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

micko
Local (More than 25 post)

twin to quad conversion

Post by micko »

I've been surfing my Neil Luke twinny for a couple of months now and I like it, just not quite right. Biggest waves thus far have been about 4-5 ft(back) at an open ocean beachie on the south coast, long drawn out bottom turns, top turns and cutbacks. It loved it, holds a line beautifully, just a little skatey when pushed too hard.

It seems to go equally well in slop, coupla little pumps and it flies around flat sections.

Then I surfed it last Sunday in 2-3ft dredging beachbreak pits, take off, draw a line and hope for the best. Didn't really dig it, felt like I was going backwards in the tube and didn't make one. Had one bigger one where I was able to do speed turns in the pit and it flew. Still got flogged though.

So... I'm thinkin I'd like to quad it with FCS plugs in the hope of getting more drive out of it?
Board measures 6'1" by 23.5" The massive fins(6" base) in it now are 13" from tail. So the question is where do I stick the plugs for a quad? Other points
: I'm 6ft and 105kg 230lb
: Board will mostly be surfed in clean waves up to 4ft(back) and mainly dredging beachies.
: I tend to surf off the tail, not a fan of fins forward boards but don't want to go too far back either.
Any help with positioning, toe in, cant etc will be greatly appreciated.
cheers
micko
micko

Post by micko »

micko

Post by micko »

micko

Post by micko »

Thanks Skip, good idea but I'm kinda chasin ideas of measurements as to where to start. ie: if the big twins are @ 13" do I put the front quads @ 14" or 15" and how about the rear fins? Bearing in mind that I'd like to keep it loose, but drivey??
cheers
micko