Beach House Construction

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

Beach House Construction

Post by quadfin »

Bolivar, near Galveston Texas, was completely wiped out by Hurricane Ike last summer. Ran across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92xEjO4Y ... annel_page
Surf Hard Live Slow
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Last edited by kidrock on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

There's a house here on PotBelly Beach south of SC that is literally
it's own little pier/island. It was built by a big NBC exec and it sits on a nest
of huge concrete/rebar pylons driven down through the sand into the
bedrock.

The downstairs is the garage and the walls are removeable/collapasible.

Storm waves can blast straight through underneath unimpeded while the
upstairs is untouched and liveable. There's more concrete and steel in this
thing than Hitlers bunker. :lol:
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

kidrock wrote:Cool story. I wonder if the Amish work cheaper than illegals? :lol:

I have some beach property up in the Pacific NW. You don't see many houses on pilings there...I guess they don't believe all the rumors about the next Great Tsunami. :?
This may answer that question.

Anahuac will forever be thankful to a small group of Mennonites who worked for nothing but temporary shelter and food after Ike. They worked tirelessly, methodically, and precisely. Meanwhile insurance companies were arguing with their policy-holders about whether it was wind or water damage. If you had flood/water coverage, it was the "wind that caused the damage." If you had wind coverage, then it was the "water that caused the damage." The insurance reps and engineers who were a necessary part of the certification process for those who could afford insurance, said the Mennonite craftmanship was "the best" they had ever seen. It was my privilege to meet them and welcome them to the church I attend. They did so much to put Anahuac back together, especially for those who were uninsured. Other than asking to borrow a guitar so they could sing hymns at the end of the day, they asked for nothing. God bless 'em.
Surf Hard Live Slow
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Last edited by kidrock on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

We live in a region with many Mennonites, in fact a Mennonite construction firms build a huge horse barn for my landlord a while back. They were some of the most sincere and hardworking individuals I've met. That barn will be standing for eons- "overbuilt" from the local contractor's perspective - but a real work of art from mine.

Their take on technology was unique- no power hand tools, but they had heavy excavation equipment and drove trucks- old ones- the coolest was a beautiful restored 50's Mack that they used to pulled their rollback around.

When it was time for my wife and I to build our own horse barn, the foreman of the Mennonite group spent hours with us (wouldn't take a dime) designing and developing materials lists (I wanted to 'overbuild' mine as well). When the county permits office found out who designed the barn and materials, he signed the drawings immediately.

Wish he surfed- he could probably teach us a thing or two...
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George