Another Aussie Cutting-Edge Board of the Future...?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Paul
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

That's just WRONG...everywhere!

Post by Paul »

OMG! That thing must win some kind of award for being the stick you would be most embarrassed to be seen with!
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Didn't Chayne win one or more contests at big Sunset riding boards like that :?: I need to dig into the crates of old VHS videos that I used to record back in the 80's of the surf contests on TV.

Remember that, when they had surf contests on ABCs wide world of sports :?: It was cool 8)
maxb
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by maxb »

yes ,and don't forget riding a little wave at a bay called waimea on the same :shock:
kbing newport
RMcKnee

where indeed ...

Post by RMcKnee »

And he had the best taste in wetsuits, by far.
For all you tontos de goma who think black is the new pink, well ... read 'em and weep!!!

Cheyne was/is a true character who always travelled his own path, just like Geoff McCoy, his shaper. He now runs a surf school here on the Goldie and travels the world hunting big waves.

Surfers Journal did a nice profile on him a few years ago that's worth a read for historical info plus entertainment value. I'll always love him, not for his big cojones, nor his freakish talent, but for his individuality and his loyalty to his mates.
Vintagesurfboard.net wrote:My favorite piece of Laser Zap history is in Scott Dittrich's movie : Follow the Sun from 1980. It include includes Cheyne Horan on a 5 ft 6'' Lazor Zap at 15 to 20ft Waimea Bay.
Check this out for even more weirdness
http://www.vintagesurfboard.net/mccoy.html
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

I loved this guy.
Always pulled for him against MR.
Ironic, seeing as how MR was just riding a narrow Kneeboard.
Anyway, one of the greats.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Actually... Cheyne owes me about $300 and the 200 surfing hours I've spent through the years buying "keel" fins and trying to get them to work!
:D :) :? :( :x :cry:

Swear to god, I've got everyone ever made... and it's solely because of him.

BTW, anyone wants to borrows the latest FCS Red Tip, be my guest. :wink:
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Lazer Zap inspired album_showpage.php?pic_id=21810

Has some drive issues not completely related to outline. Dropped in a center plug to try more fin options.
Surf Hard Live Slow
RMcKnee

???

Post by RMcKnee »

Geoff may be "overclaiming", but on his website he calls the Lazer Zap the forerunner of the modern shortboard, claiming it to stem from 1973. Where I surfed at that time, one saw no Lazer Zaps, but plenty of McCoy single and twin fins, with progressively more tail area as the years went by. Most boards of that time (70s) were tapered from a wide point well forward of centre, as I remember it. Some of 'em sure looked fast ... The movement of the wide point in the planshape to aft of centre definitely was a turning point in modern shortboard design.

Interesting that the old dongas from the longboard era often were wider aft.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Wasn't the narrower nose/wider tail an element that was essential in the success of Simon's thruster?
KenM

Re: efcd

Post by KenM »

CaptKneemo wrote:i hate that other folks surf.
See if ya can't convince a few million of 'em to quit would ya. I'd be eternally grateful.
maxb

Post by maxb »

ken, if anyone can pull that off, i'll build him a shrine
max
kbing newport
RMcKnee

??????

Post by RMcKnee »

This thread needs a backsplice real bad.

Simon Anderson's talked various places about how he came up with the thruster, but for me his best development lately has been his quad fin set for Futures.

An often overlooked fact is that GG has been banging on about the unnecessary "swing weight" of the pointed nose on the modern surfboard since ... well ... about 1970 I believe. Sure wasn't much nose on old Velo ...

I still reckon McTavish and that North NSW/Sydney/Goldie crew had a fair old contribution to shortboard evolution that still doesn't get the credit it ought.

See link below.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Speaking of multi-colored wetsuits and boxes of 80's vhs surf videos anybody out there got a copy of an Aussie surf movie called " Water Slaughter", no Chayne in it, but tons of kneeboarding with a not half bad soundtrack ( ok it's a bit 80's-ish ) I used to have a second generation copy of it and lost track of it.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I remember "Water Slaughter". I think I still have a copy.

I think the kneeriders were Simon and quite a bit of footage of Neil Luke at Aussie Pipe.

Did I get those names right?
KenM

Post by KenM »

Oh my God is Peter Schroff still at it. I love that guy. Check out the Circa 80's model, Lazor Zap outline with quad fins. 8)