4 way fin system

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

weirdo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

4 way fin system

Post by weirdo »

Anyone heard of/tried these?.

http://www.4wfs.com/products/otg-box
maxb
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by maxb »

weirdo, i've never seen them before, but i am very interested, and i will be talking to ron romanosky about them asap. if i find any useful info i will pass it on.
if they are as good as they look, i will be all over it
max
kbing newport
Casey Patelski

!

Post by Casey Patelski »

I like the options. Carry the different inserts with you for more turn or more down the line speed. Less boards, more set ups on one board. More toys, yeah!
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Hi ,
Red has been using this fin system for 12 months now...
I'm sure he can give us all some good feedback on this system :P :P :P
red

Post by red »

The fibreglass fins have really good foils. Great fins.

The system is good for confirming fin setups. I'm using it to optimise my fin placement and toe-in. Huge differences by changing toe 1/8". If you really like playing with things you will like this system in your day board.

Your shaper won't thank you for requesting them. The install kit is less professional than the FCS one. But I've had no issues routing a great bloody hole in my blanks to install hard foam inserts and then routing another hole in the hard foam to install the plugs. Just take a deep breath and...

The sytem works (unlike some that have appeared over the years).

There is a US system that is equivalent (Probox - ask for Larry) and also Surftrux if you want something funky

(edit in Probox)
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

had them in a big wave board (shaped in SA where the fins are from) for about 4/5 years, but only got 1 set of fins due to limited availability yrs ago.... wrong fins for a kneeboard, but good to see some more available now.

weirdo - will bring it up to next SKC comp and you can check them out

Red..... can you recommend a good set of 4wfs for a k-board?
On your knees, if you please
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

What a great time to be a kneeboarder !! This fin system looks so versatile; hope they have some inside foil side fins. Been using the AM 2's and the M7's , love em, nice and fast. Max keep us posted on Romo's input, this would add yet another level of versatility to his rocket sleds.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Saw these in a SA friends board a couple years ago.
Good idea.

How's the durability?

What's the most common failure issue?
red

Post by red »

I bumped a rock and knocked the plug crooked. Had to pull it out and reset. None of the mechanisms were affected.

The fins are great and their attachment to the board is about as good as plug in fins get (compared to glass ons)

They are a pain to install. The install kit doesn't have good lineup indicators so you're measuring from the outside of the perspex template.

You need hard foam inserts with soft foams like polystyrene (EPS).
With EPS you might need to do 2 step install because the epoxy can get too hot in the big hole that needs to be cut. Hot epoxy melts eps.