Wide Point

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: wide point

Post by Kev »

stevea wrote:...
Around this time i played with the capsule concept volume maxed out behind the knees with bottom vee or contour ,nose area and volume was radically reduced an S deck i guess resulted
... so many aspect of design continue to be recycled for those surfers out there wishing to experiment ...
my latest board (being glasses right now ) has borrowed from these ideas but far more subtle
keep a more typical deck line and lift the tail, a widening around the shins and we have used a diamond tail to rather than a big square so as not to have a great planning area behind the fins ... I want the planning support directly beneath

particularly as board speed reduces and I normally stall

the very rear rail and tail do have a square look of a stand up square tail
and where possible the foam forward has been traded for foam centre/rear

the hope here is to have paddling support under my stomach rather than chest

made for smaller/ slower sluggish surf

all part of experimenting and helping me through my growing deficiencies as I get weak, flabby and old.
8)
red

Post by red »

Stevea,
Cool, thanks for posting
I'll get around to the micro wave comp board I've been wanting to do for a few years now - these ideas will certainly be incorporated. Once it's made I'll run it in O/H waves and see what happens!

Do you soften the rails in the tail? (I haven't seen a lazer zap for so long I can't remember details)
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

wide point

Post by stevea »

Kev. Im with you getting older fatter and slower .but i believe that board design can help minimise the fading of reflex flexibility and fitness by making the board easier to surf .wide point is only one aspect but ive enjoyed the response in turns it seems to bring and so maintain it behind my knees

Red I cant remember the laser zap tail but i keep the rail behind the front fins low and square, with a resin edge with vee and concaves fading to flat in the last 12 inches, tail rocker minimal

For any other interested parties the safest bet is always going to be to follow the tarred surface of the highway refine your boards with shapers whose livelihood depends on a board that works best for you ,but for those who want to try an alternative response you will never know till you give it a go and you just dont know you might find what you need
red

Post by red »

the rail behind the front fins low and square, with a resin edge with vee and concaves fading to flat in the last 12 inches, tail rocker minimal
Hey Steve
Thanks
How does that come off the top?
Do you have to keep the nose up to prevent pearling?

Red
Mike Fernandez

Re: wide point

Post by Mike Fernandez »

stevea wrote:Contrary to poular opinion and under the inevitable influence of Geoff Mc Coy i experimented with wide point several inches behind centre during the mid 80 s
The enhanced performance was immediately felt not just by myself but a team of riders whose contest results and allround performance vindicated Mc Coys theories
It was not all positive though the planshape wasnt all that pretty,in an effort to make them more commercially appealing the wide point inched forward ,it now sits an inch or 2 behind centre
"the planshape wasnt all that pretty,in an effort to make them more commercially appealing the wide point inched forward ,it now sits an inch or 2 behind centre"

People going for looks instead of performance is part of the dumbing down phenomenon :roll:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Bob

Post by Bob »

Mine are all one inch behind center but I had one in the 80's 3.5 inches behind center. Of course, that was for a fins back board. I do not know how that would be with a fins forward board.