FYI - TAILS

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

FYI - TAILS

Post by Bud »

Once in a while I surf the web for kneeboard surfing related pics and info.

Blog on www.surfline.com at the moment.

http://www.surfline.com/blog/entry.cfm?id=30849
Last edited by Bud on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Oh.... and found this item to.......

http://bonzerfront.com/blog/?m=200803

Bud

Post by Bud »

And still more stuff surfacing on the web............ this from Japan

http://www.sei.info/compareLIS/english.htm

Bud

Post by Bud »

Here's a page with lot's of shots.... some very good and many linked in galleries.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=kneeboa ... searched=1

Hey EQ you're the first shown. 8)
budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by budgie »

Hi Bud

Great Article by Rusty.

Big Simon on a small board, I like that

Budgie
Bud

Post by Bud »

Anybody seen this?

blog by Rex Huffman;s brother.

http://birdssurfblog.com/?p=459

Scott

Post by Scott »

Bud,

All very interesting links--you've been busy!

Enjoyed the shot of Ed and others, but this was my favorite photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinjy/3537667377/
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the email regarding Wesley's board.

Yea... been busy but this is relaxing and interesting.
And I think some attempt to dig up obscure sources of kneeboard surfing pics and info is worthy.

I hope everyone enjoys what I've dug up here.

Anyone know who this guy is?
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Bud, I've been doing the same thing that you have done. I've googled kneeriding or kneeboarding, and I visited these same blogs and websites. Bird's blog talks about how his brothers and him started out on paipos cause they were the easiest to load up in the family VW bus and take to the beach. It was oldest brother Mark that got everyone into kneeboarding. He was the first to buy a kneeboard, then it was Rex, then him! That was Rex at the Pipeline Expression session in 1977. 8)
scoop

Post by scoop »

Bud and guys

About 3/4 down on the Flicker link is Shredder Betty .... We met Paige @ "Private's" near Santa Cruz whilst there for the worlds and after chatting with her for a while (whilst she took shots on the steps of the local longboarders ) We talked her into coming to "The Lane"for a look and she posted a few good shots she took ...although not all with a "kneeboard" heading ... so there are more if you look at her pics a bit deeper.
I still occasionally chat to Paige after the years pass and although a paddle and long boarder she found our mode of surfing "fun"
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
RMcKnee

tails

Post by RMcKnee »

Nice post Bud. Been pondering some evolutionary questions too. Noticed Rusty said
With the Mirandons and Lis resurrecting interest in twin-fin boards, tail widths expanded. Also, in 1970 Hobie and Bing both marketed wide squaretail twin fins. These incorporated totally different approach with fins.
and remembered finding on Surf Research (http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000000.html) that in Australian belly and kneeboard designs tail width went something like this:
  • 1963 Bennett 19 1/2",
    1964 Wallace 18", McDonagh 20",
    1966 Bay Area 21",
    1967 Bennett 20 1/4"
    1970 Shane 17 1/2"
Some of the boards listed were single fins and some were twins.

Of course sometime around then PC's Slab was evolved. Strangely, Surf Research lists no Crozier earlier than 1976, a significant ommission given that the Slab was the most important kneeboard design of the early 70s in Australia. I had my first one in 71 I think, and the tail was either 14" or 15", from memory. It did incorporate a totally different approach with fins, definitely.

Things always look different from the stand-up perspective.
budgie

Post by budgie »

Checked out the links

Some great history guys

Thanks

Budgie
joe

Post by joe »

From the Sunday newspaper. Some San Diego surf history.

Larry Gordon -- Bird -- Tom Morey

Surfboard maker marks 50-year ride
Gordon & Smith legacy heralded at celebration
KenM

Post by KenM »

If you like the pic of Rex posted above check out page 105 of the latest issue of Surfer for another Jeff Divine pic of Rex on a considerably bigger wave at Pipe from the same period.The caption?"Kneeboards are cool."
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

CaptKneemo wrote:whats more true than this? that is, other than Christ rose from the dead on the 3rd day?

(copied from birds site) You have to make it look like your doing something no matter what, so if the waves don’t cooperate you need to get creative. Kneeboarding is almost impossible in sub par surf so contestants have to mimic the surfers to get through heats. There is no exposure to quality kneeriding for beginners to follow so they have warped into arm swing body twisting wave riders. They no longer ride kneeboards to there full potential.

My brothers still kneeboard on occasion as do some of the “OLD Guard” crew, but this style of kneeriding is all but gone. Watch the younger kneeboarders now and you’ll see what I mean. You know it’s F^*Ked up when surfboards are growing shorter while kneeboards are getting longer. The dominate type of kneeboarder now rides board 6′ or longer with the fins pushed up towards the center of the board. Putting a hand on the rail is almost in bad taste while riding as erect as possible is the current style. Gone is the low center of gravity hunched over speed turns, a hand on the rail and an eye on the next bowling section that will soon be back doored. This has been replaced with body twists and arm swings. Open faced slides and floaters. Wave hopping instead of barrel riding.

Like most every thing else these day’s, things seemed to have gone upside down. On a hollow day just about any good surfer can GRAB THE RAIL and pigdog threw barreling sections. In this position you are basicly kneeboarding any ways! I think that the term HALF MAN is now appropriate for most kneeboarders. They are trying to surf on there knees while surfers, in hollow waves have adapted to some of the finer points of kneeboarding. To me, kneeriding is just about dead.

I'd like to add, "To me, kneeriding is just about dead." but so is the cowboy and Dylan....
Also quoted from Birds Site after seeing chayno's footage from Nias

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhh YES! Young Blood Schralping at its best. I stand corrected on SOME of my previous opinions of current kneeboarders wave riding abilites. Chayno pushing it HARD with both STYLE and PERFORMANCE in some SOLID and SERIOUS surf. GREAT FOOTAGE.
GOOD ON YA MATE!"
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather