epoxy boards

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

SamC
Local (More than 25 post)

epoxy boards

Post by SamC »

I'm thinking of getting a new board but the biggest problem I have is that i'm too light. So either the board is too heavy and floats way too easily, or is a really good, but tends to need very frequent repairs. so, I was thinking I need a new material, such as epoxy. Can anybody point me to where I can get a good custom epoxy kneeboard?
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Sam, Steve Seebold in San Diego makes some killer epoxy quad fish kneeboards. He's recently made kneeboards for Rex Huffman, Mark Skinner and Marshall Myrman among others. He's also back shaping for G&S or you might be able to order through Bird at Southcoast Windansea in Pacific Beach.
SamC

Post by SamC »

Thanks, I'm looking for a more new school board. I don't really like quads or fishes. I prefer a really loose pin tail thruster, but i'll check it out.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Maybe Ambrose in Oceanside, he's dialed in with epoxy and I hear he does some kneeboarding himself now and then.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Too light ????

Just drink more beer :D Problem solved.

My previous board had 1x4 oz glassing top and bottom - the lightness and performance was awesome, the durability was $%^&. I guess thats the price you pay, personally I dont want to hang onto a board for more than a year anyway, my theory is new ()better) board = better surfing !

Andy
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Sam, i'm making these from stringerless high density eps with a 4oz f/g deck patch or full 4oz on deck with 6oz flat weave carbon top & bottom epoxy of course. I'm not far off from glassing up a newby with inegra cloth [ polyprop] instead of the f/g. These boards are very strong and light, i can do any shape or fin combo you want with fcs fusion fin plus or futures. Check out some other pics under analbirth Can arrange shipment. PM me if you want more info. Cheers AB Native Kneeboards

album_showpage.php?pic_id=21543
album_showpage.php?pic_id=21542
album_showpage.php?pic_id=21541
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
skansand

Post by skansand »

epoxy boards = more expensive if you buy from the shaper BUT LESS expensive if you shape it yourself!!!

:idea:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
ss54

Epoxy Boards

Post by ss54 »

Nice looking carbon boards. . .AB
We(Steve Rice,of Sealines in Capel,W.Aust & myself),are trialling the Innegra for Colan Industries also.As we're building flexspoons,we are combining 6oz carbon & 2oz Innegra,& 4oz "S".Have only layed up test pieces as yet,but being polyprop,is showing a certain amount of memory in flex tests-a definate no-no,for us.We look like going with a combination of 4oz "S",2 x 2oz Innegra,3 x 6oz carbon(1 on bottom,2 on the deck)2 x 2oz Innegra& 1 x 4oz "S",for the board build.The "S" is helpful for sanding & strength purposes.All glassed with FGI's R300 Epoxy,a 4-1 ratio.
I'm guessing you are combining the Innegra with the carbon,as it's not recommended as a stand-alone reinforcement.
Flex-It's all about "how it feels"
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

AB's Carbons are great!

I've been drooling over another Carbon that I transported up here, shaped by Parkes.

Also, question to Surfhorn... John Mel? I heard of some collaboaration, but don't know if it went to full Production

Just throwing options out there
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Hey ss, yeah thanks, when i first heard about the innegra cloth i thought about doing a 6-8" flex tail will be very interested to hear what you think of it when you get a board in the water. This newby will have 4oz innegra full deck with 6oz carbon [ twill weave] top & bottom from what i've seen using it on sample lay ups the 2oz innegra is about equal to 4oz f/g and 4oz innegra - 6oz f/g but with about the same impact strength using the old finger nail test, seems to be much better with the carbon over although i'm not sure about the claims of trucks driving over it, sound like a bit of advertising BS we will see. The board i'm doing is going to be surfed mainly in Fiji at frigates and is a medium wave [ 4-6'] board for this guy and he is 6'4" so it should be a good test. I'm not really expecting miracles and the existing cloth combo's i'm using are more than strong enough. I thought the 2oz was a bit light not enough density to the weave a bit like 4oz carbon you might as well not bother. Again let me know how you go with them cutlery pieces

Yeah SF, is that DP yours and a fairly thick 6'2" fish? The reason i ask is i checked it out when it was being glassed and finished [dave uses the same glasser ] and if it was for you i'm guessing your a rather large unit [ no offense ] as it was over 3" thick with plenty of volume through the tail and rails. Would bob around like a cork with me on it. And as your drooling hasn't it been surfed yet? AB
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

AB,

Not mine, but meeting the owner in a few minutes for a surf... I'll ask about specs, but I think it may be under 6'2" and 3" thick... will report back.

Owner is about 5'11, 190 lbs...

Maybe, just maybe, that carbon board is there today and a test drive will be taken! As far as I can tell, she's still unridden.

(Noticed I ducked the ? about my size! :lol: )
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I got a 5'10" Parkes quad a couple of months ago. Fantastic! Catches waves like you can't believe - super fast - really loose. Amazing really
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

OK... confirmed 6'0", and less thickness.

Owner says it's loose, but tends to catch rails in the tube.

Today wasn't a great opportunity for test driving. Although we had great weather, the surf was slop.

AB, you probably did glass this one, and she's a beauty.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Sam,

I just got a new 5'8" FP double-flyer rounded pin thruster; I'm only 150#. You NEED to try THIS stick; it's unreal. I've ridden it 10 times now and still no dings or pressure dings so it's holding up just fine :D 8)

Let me know next time you're down.
Brad
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

SF must of been a different board, one i was talking about was a beast,
and that catching rails prob doesn't sound good, although if this guy hasn't ridden eps/epoxy boards before tell him to persevere as they can take a bit to get used to as they do surf a bit different but once you crack it you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. The fin set up might need a bit of fine tuning also i've had one of DP's that used to catch off the top when i first surfed it, i found it just needed really sucky waves to get it going i had to play with the fins on that board as well, still have it it's on the WW KB Bank list.
And for the record i don't actually do the glassing but over the last 7 or 8 years have worked with Peter Mo [ older american glasser, mate of GG's] to get the carbon/epoxy lam's to where they are. I think DP uses someone else in Byron as well. I know Peter didn't glass the Parkes Epoxy raffle board at the worlds. Cheers AB