My new board dont work too well! HELP?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

Hey Budgie, be patient grasshopper, stick it in the garage and wait for a really nice "clean" 3- 4' peaky hollow swell, then try again fool. I also have a 5'9" fish of dave's that seems to have a mind of it's own in s*&^ waves but the same board in sucky clean waves will do 360's in the barrel i s*&^ you not. As masons said crap is crap. AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by budgie »

Finally had clean offshore and 3 to 4ft conditions today and board performed.

Still is a little schizophrenic changing personalities for each wave.

Did turns off the top ok, nice bottom turns and had speed to boot.

Still caught rails and wanted to STOP dead for no reason.

Had to PUSH so hard to do things, whereas old board same dimensions did everything with ease.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Budgie, is that a Parkes quad or tri-fin ? ( sorry, not too familiar with what Albert and Cheyne are currently riding.) Had a quad board that was modeled after the DP quads I saw Craig Ashdown riding in 96 when he came to Calif. for a contest. Took it out on an epic weekend of surf at Huntington, crashed and burned on almost every wave, wanted to leave it in a trash can on the beach on way back to truck. For me was a very tempermental shape, but the guys are right on this thread, keep adjusting your positioning front/back and you'll find the sweet spot Dave intended. Give the M7's a go, those have always kicked in the afterburners for any board I've put em on.

Cheers, Fossil Man
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Budgie- when I got my first Parkes board I struggled with it as well. I cavitated on every wave and just did the slip and slide. I spoke with David and he said take the board out to some clean small lined up point break waves and have a go in controlled conditions. After a few sessions in those conditions it was all good after that.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Budgie, doesn't sound good could be terminal, could be a lemon
budgie

Post by budgie »

no lemon just not friendly yet, the board that is
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hi Budgie, I've just got a board off david and it's the best board I've ever had, and that's saying something.

In fact i've been meaning to start a thread about it, but I'm too tired from being in the surf too much ... :)

anyway's it's an edge board - meaning you have to pay attention on the ride - but the rewards, once you are used to the ride, are amazing.

What's it got to do with your board? Well my latest one is nose to tail concave - maxing out at 15 mill concave. I've had big concave boards since around 2000

abouts.

Sure, they want to ride high. When you come out of the turn they want to plane up the face. Stops the drag and puts you in the max potential energy point of the

wave.

All you have to do is change the angles that you ride at. Eg snap it off the top harder, let your bottom turn be the setup for your top turn, use the projection that a

concave will give you; and when you pull into the barrel, point the nose a litle lower than you are used to. If you find you are still being sucked up too far in the

barrel you have to balance the suck up with a litle rail drift - watch baden and sparrow grabbing the rail to utilise a litle rail slip in the barrel

Every board is different. Ride the same board all your life you would never improve your surfing. The incremental approach that some shapers take is safe, but .....

will put you in the old timer's home a lot quicker.

If you are catching the rail keep leaning forward in your turns but try leaning further out ... should solve the problem. If it doesn't ride off the tail a little further -

assuming you kneel up and don't sit backside attached to the ankles. If you catch the rail coming off the top leaning out and down the face will solve the problems.

A lot of guys don't like to lean down the face and drive the board down the wave - in fact the harder you drive off the top and back towards the lip the less

problems you'll have with the outside rail catching at this point (the rail about 15 -20 inches from the nose). The concave wants to plane between turns so you have to be aware of this and keep driving the board from rail to rail.

Trouble paddling? You wearing flippers? Forget about the flippers and lean forward when you are paddling. Might help.

Sorry about raving. Would have raved more but the sausages and lamb are crying out to be sacrificed to the god of Barbecues.

"Burn me, burn me" they are bleating in my ears....

Be back in the future and stick some pics of the new board up. Good luck with yours.
budgie

Post by budgie »

Thanx headwax,

You offered the best solutions and advise, much appreciated.

PROBLEM IS NOW SOLVED

Thanks Crippler for your off forum advise.

Board went really well today and all previous problems disappeared.

Now just need to fine tune the huge reo's and insane cutbacks, and the jet propolson speed.

THIS AINT NO LEMON

thanx to all who posted with encouragement THIS POST IS FINISHED
budgie

Post by budgie »

PS

THANX PARKESY
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

glad you got that sorted out :)

happy surfing
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Budgie a bad carpenter always blames his tools, new boards are like women
ya gotta ride em a lot and hard - they take a bit to break em in :twisted:
budgie

Post by budgie »

you are a funny man

who speaks wisely, AB
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

sweet Budgie!...what difference a few days/surfs makes!!!... like to see the board can you post a pic of it!?
Headwax love to see you one too....im taking that its a quad?
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Quad it is! Interesting how they are spreading their wings.... ;)
crippler
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by crippler »

NO FLASHIES budgie stick with dave