The Mentawai Islands I'm coming...

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

The Mentawai Islands I'm coming...

Post by halbs »

Well I have been in Bali a few weeks now and very much looking forward to heading to the Mentawis, here's the twist, picked up my mate from the airport on Monday with chilled Bintang. We both have been both counting down the days, so we were excited to say the least. Out to a lovely restaurant in Seminyak for dinner and this is where things turned a little pearshaped as we continued drinking, but I had had enough beer so switched to Jim Beam and we also commenced a pub crawl of Seminyak. Needless to say at some ridiculous time in the morning I stumbled into bed apologising to my dear wife as I did so. I am thinking that at least establishment may have watered down their Beam supply with Arak...ahh. Now two days later and I still can't think straight I can't eat and lets just say all orrifices have been in constant use! So the trip of a lifetime with six great mates and I am moping around like a homeless puppy! I am hoping things turn around and I survive this afternoon's flight without embarrasment to Jakarta! Will provide photos and a report on return, cheers Halbs.
getting there is often as good as getting there
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Banana's are always the go.

Don't worry about being the only one on the internal flight that has the runs. I reckon 50% will be in that boat from something they ate, the other 50% will be Shi7ing themselves about if they are going to land at the airport safely and not into a mountain or miss the airfield altogether...

I'm just jealous, hope you score great uncrowded waves...

Bumps
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
Doc Turbo

Post by Doc Turbo »

Halbs, try SMECTA available in most pharmacies about Rp 3,000 per sachet, mix with aqua take a couple times a day.

Hope you get waves in the Mentawais, swell has kind of dropped to nothing in the last few days, so ..... good luck
tomway

Post by tomway »

Halbs,

Hope that your problems are something more innocent than spiked drinks... your not blind, so that's a good sign :?

For the stomach, this might be of use. 'Letting it all out,' and 'completing a course' of antibiotics is no longer recommended for travellers diarrhea. What you need is the 'bomb'. Take a load of immodium, and a high dose of suitable antibiotic (bacterim is often used here) and let the whole lots swish around in your stomach for a day or two. As soon as you start to snap them off cleanly stop with the antibiotics :lol:

Of course this doesn't apply if you've got yourself typhoid or or dengue or something...

Hope you get right and score some waves. Give us a call when you get back - looking forward to that surf!
Doc Turbo

Re: The Mentawai Islands I'm coming...

Post by Doc Turbo »

halbs wrote:..... I survive this afternoon's flight without embarrasment to Jakarta! Will provide photos and a report on return, cheers Halbs.
This is one flight from Bali to Jakarta that I definately glad to avoid :shock:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
griz

Post by griz »

Hang on , hang on ,
lets get a handle on this . Hear you are Halbs necking your own body weight in bitterly cold Tangs and top shelf spirits toasted all in the name of an impending surf trip to the most wave rich known boy's town on the globe and ,as a result you fall a little bit under the whether , then a veiled attempt at sympathy you inquire about an instant cure to turn off the tap arse . Mate it don't wash with me .
Just go and make a glutton of yourself and report back with a bunch of photos would ya :wink: :lol:
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

harden up son
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Hey JD,

That is exactly what Halbs is hoping for! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
halbs

Post by halbs »

Well I have returned to Bali after a fantastic trip through the Mentawaii Islands although great to be back with the wife ands kids!! Our best waves were on our very first morning at HT's at 5 foot and firing, unfortunately I was definately not firing still unable to eat or produce an audible fart. But did pull into many attempts at the infamous HT barrel and the surgeons table! Did not make it out of as many as I would have liked! Surfed numerous breaks during our 12 day sojourn including Maccas, Lances Left, Burgerworld, Beng -Bengs, Nipussies, Thunders, Bank Vaults I have probably missed a few. I had a first and managed to snap a board [sorry Bruce!!] and completely trashing another after being greedy on a Maccas wave and staying on a smidge too long! I did get photos but mainly of lame sunsets or tropical islands unfortunatley very little if any surf snaps! It wasn't the ideal trip as I remained ill for a the first four days and being crook on a boat is no way to start a trip lucky the toilet had a shower, but I came good and ended the trip on a high. The devastation in Padang was very sad and a real eye opener but the people are simply getting back to business as they need to do, so all of the best to them! Nice to be back in Bali and when the swaying stops I may attempt to resurrect my Flashpoints! Thanks to all for the suggestions of cures but unfortunately I was under sail but great ideas for next time!
halbs

Post by halbs »

Hi to Tom, Stephen and Steve A and all others in Indonesia, I have one more request any recommendations on the best ding repairer here in Bali? Keen to seek out the best job I can so if you have any previous experience I would gratefully love to hear them! Need to get my boards back on track cheers Grant.
stevea

mentawis here i come

Post by stevea »

Halbs call me now i will take you to Chris the master ding man
Doc Turbo

ding repair

Post by Doc Turbo »

Well Tom would be an expert on dings to the board after his last couple experiences in Bali :twisted:

I typically only ding my body.

Probably Stevie A would be the best answer on this, but think he is out on a shoot... :D
halbs

Post by halbs »

Cheers Steve I will give you a buzz later on today as I have family commitments today- cheers Grant