I'm in Love

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

No waves here again today .......aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh ;)

RMcKnee wrote
I can't really begin to pretend I understand the hydrodynamics of surfboard design in any more depth than I've already attempted on this thread. My limited grasp of the matter in question is that a displacement hull sits down in the water while a flat bottom provides a platform that planes over the surface of the water once moving at sufficient speed.
Hah! I think you know more than you are admitting to. As far as my understanding of how boards work, everytime I think I understand, something else comes along and tells me I don't understand nothing (forgive the triple negative) As far as displacment hulls, there's probably a point where they start to plane and lift the rest of the board out of the water? Or they plane once the board is at the correct angle in the turn.?
What I was getting at re your deep concave was the idea that when the board's planing it's riding on the two outer edges of the bottom, rather like a catamaran. Looking at the rail shape in cross-section it appears really like a very rounded shape, similar to the old 50/50 rail, also similar to what GG used in the front half of Velo and similar spoons. I just didn't see any defined edge there at all and was wondering.
I think the photograph lies a bit as far as the rails go. There is a resin edge that I assume most boards have. The business end rails just before the fins are very 'down' rails and the edge is crisp enough to shave ;)That really crisps things up, but you can't see it in the picture... As far as the catamaran thing, you are perfectly right . The board "runs" to use a n expression of Dp's.

One thing I haven't got used to is the board still planes when you don't expect it too. Like when the wave is gutless and you are out on the flats - weird.

sorry once again for the typing... I can only see the first paragraph and the rest is by feel (:
Last edited by Headwax. on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hi frankfr, thanks for adding your experience with these boards!
Two extremes, hull or chine, which both could be disected for either there positive or negative input to the forward entry point
Good point on the influence on entry into the wave.

I still don't understand why hulls climb though. Unless it's related to the graphic I drew up? I better read hull dynamics 101.!!

viewtopic.php?t=3853&highlight=fall+line

Chines will provide a release point at the rail edge to break that flow and inhance the feeling of looseness in the nose desirable.
Well put. Personally I also see them as extending the planing area of the bottom of the board.

Any chance of a pic of your latest boards?

By the way, I think we might have Nat Young to thank for bringing 'fall line' to our attention! viewtopic.php?p=52904&highlight=fall+line#52904

cheers

andrew ;)

off to attempt to surf .....
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

love it

Post by frankfqr »

"Still don't understand why hulls climb though." My take, same reason a plane wing lifts, air or water flow over the curve. There are terms and details but that stuff always makes my head spin :lol:
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Ho! Thanks Frankfqr

Low pressure, high pressure. Easy as ;)

My wife is sending me a way for a while to our van up the coast to get some surf (ie get me out of her hair)

will log in when get back and see what you've been upto.....

cheers

thanks everyone for all the responses so far!

headwix er ..... headwax
stevea

Im in love

Post by stevea »

Im in love ,im all shook up

After reading this thread several times as much as i tried i couldnt stop thinking is my baby s bottom shape too curvaceous ,i know she will leave me soon we are both too young too commit to a long term relationship even though she performs to my satisfaction ,but im leaving her here in Indo and have thoughts on a fresh new relationship

My thoughts are turning towards more concave but first i might like to try your loves response to me riding her for a session .If possible mr Headwax i will be back in Oz for 5-6 weeks from mid December

To answer your question bottom shape from nose to tail
concave in nose to double concave to flat in tail
vee introduced and increasing from in front of knees to apex between knees and ankles
vee is more a roll or contour and sits higher than rail at apex by maybe 3-4cm fading out from front fins to tail
nose is CHINED to entry rail softened getting lower harder to fins to low square resined edge through tail

Anyway youve got me thinking how about how deep i can go with the concave s ,i dont want to drastically alter the response of my recent boards as the whole idea of doing what ive been doing compensates for the age ,weight and fitness factors .I may be too young for a commitment but im too old to adapt

P S boards are 6 0 by 23 n half by 2 58s
This has been a very interesting thread ive taken on board all contributions its great to see the diversity of design that works for the most diverse surfing sect on the planet
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

The more concave [single] you have the more you gotta surf rail to rail i've found that they suit top to bottom shortish punchy waves better than long walled down the line, having said that i still like some concave in my guns. So if your not a hard charger and or surf flatter [ not on the rail] your better off with a bottom that is a bit more forgiving or less demanding of your attention like a shallow 1-2 or 1 - V. Just my ob's AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
jdc

Post by jdc »

Hi headwax

im enjoying having you post relatively regulaly again...but the avatar shot is frekin me out :shock:

I'm getting quite conservative in some directions in my old age.

:wink:

aka dorje
i like surfing
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hello, much aplogies for being away so long. Been up the mid-northcoast NSW chasing waves - and not getting any :) Arrrrrrrrrgh. ho! Got a chance to fine tune some fins in the NorEast slop though...

Stevea wrote
After reading this thread several times as much as i tried i couldnt stop thinking is my baby s bottom shape too curvaceous ,i know she will leave me soon we are both too young too commit to a long term relationship even though she performs to my satisfaction ,but im leaving her here in Indo and have thoughts on a fresh new relationship
That has me cracking up. :)

Thanks very much for the detailed description of the bottom contours. They make a lot of sense,( especially in relationship to the wide point of your board?). Obviously a lot of thought and experience has gone into blending all those different aspects. Especially:
vee is more a roll or contour and sits higher than rail at apex by maybe 3-4cm fading out from front fins to tail
I can see there would be a big advantage (over the large concave) in going rail to rail instantaneously with this aspect - I wonder if you could blend the concave through the middle of the vee-contour?

As far as max depth of concave? My (bad) guess would be 20 mill depending on the width of the board - and available thickness of blank

Would be wonderful to catch up and I'd be honored to have surf sometime. Will be in touch. :) December- January is looking like the Berlin wall at the moment.

Analbirth wrote:
The more concave [single] you have the more you gotta surf rail to rail i've found that they suit top to bottom shortish punchy waves better than long walled down the line,
Strange how surfers have different experiences with a design element. I've always enjoyed concaves with long walls because of the projection they give. Probably a difference in riding style?

Hi John AKA Dorje.

Nice to hear from you. :) Hope you are getting great waves on those flashies Sorry about the avatar. That scar on my forehead freaks a few people out. Ho!

cheers for now.

once again, sorry for the response time...

headwax ;)
jdc

Post by jdc »

mR wAX

I did set out to be manogamous (spelling :? ) but a varied shapered quiver I am finding to my liking.

DP, hart/ross (?) and Neil L make for the spice of life

gosta put the flashie and parkes in the car just now as conditions before dark could go either way

:)
i like surfing
budgie

Post by budgie »

Just had a go at 6ft Margaret River on my single concave and long down the line is great for me too, cuttys of the foam are really good too.

Still learning what makes this board tick and how to surf the bloody thing, but fast and I am learning I have to push it real hard.

Comes of the top fast and smooth too.