Update this old timer

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Huntington State
Local (More than 25 post)

Update this old timer

Post by Huntington State »

Hello fellow kneelo's,
Iv'e decided to come out of the wood work the past few months and dust off my 30 year old 5' 8" 2 fin fish.Its been 25 years since we hit the water and my old board still performs fairly well yet does side slip when ever I try and drive down the face or push bottom turns too much. I'm hoping I could get someone to update me on the new board designs, quad, pin tails, 5 fin, 3 fin, quad fish..ect.ect.ect.
I want to have a board locally made so I'm hoping someone can give me the pro's and con's of these new designs.What they have ridden and what there preferance is. I surf north san diego county where waves are primarly beach breaks, and find these waves on aveage days are fast yet not as hollow as the waves I used to surf 25 years ago in Newport. Also I've noticed the fish I have isn't the easiest board to catch waves either, usally resulting in late take-off which creates major speed down the line.
For what its worth I'm a 5'10" 175lbs . Also, my current board is 22" wide which seems to have to much board to manuver vertcle off the lips and cutbacks on these softer waves.
Can someone educate me a little on these new standup boards, they seem like thed'd be perfect for kneeriding..what the difference?
Thanks
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

welcome to the site, and welcome back to the stoke.

If you're originally from So. OC, I would suggest you go with what you know...you can't go wrong with a Romo. :wink:

Keep us in the loop, and let us know how it works out. Lotsa guys here will pipe in with lotsa different opinions. There's a fairly large group of kneeriders in No. County, I'm sure you'll have plenty of guys to ride with.
maxb

Post by maxb »

What's up state, I'm a newport guy and rock is right ,you will get more opinions than you need about what to get, best advice for you is to ride the board you have,and meet up with the regulars at o'side pier and south jetty, try their boards and figure out what works best for you. If not then p.m. me and come have a surf up my way and I think I have a romo or 2 you can try or buy or both. I have 3-4 that would fit you.
Max
kbing newport
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Welcome HS, What Max said! The North County crew can hook you up, send me PM 8)

sTiLl a gROm :!:
red

Post by red »

To get to your questions,
The biggest change in kneeboards over the intervening 30 years (I know because I was there!) has been the movement of fins forward relative to standup boards.

While modern standup fishes and the like owe their heritage to kneeboards, they are not set up right for kneeboarding. Mainly they require ability to weight the tail (back foot heel and toe), which kneeboarders don't have. By moving the fins forward modern kneeboard designs have freed us from having to weight the tail in order to turn.

Welcome back.
budgie

Post by budgie »

dont agree

sliding is what happens when fins are moved forward, some controlled and some not

Go with what you know and swap boards in the surf with other kneelos

Dont listen to so called modern theorists on the sport or you will be riding 6ft plus boards x 3inches thick and be wearing webbed gloves and ...............

sorry cant help myself....

Have fun and experiment
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Hey HB... Just have an open mind and try different boards. As part of the O`side crew and as Craig said, We can hook you up.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

budgie wrote:dont agree

sliding is what happens when fins are moved forward, some controlled and some not
:roll: Not if you can surf.

Huntington State- Red might be one of the most intelligent, talented surfers who still posts here. Great surfer, great shaper, great mind... he knows what he's talking about and can back it up in the water.
Some of Red's R&D:
[albumimg]859[/albumimg]

A longer board will allow you to do this:
[albumimg]9745[/albumimg]

this

[albumimg]9885[/albumimg]

and this

[albumimg]10696[/albumimg]

Not to mention catch waves easier and allow you to draw out longer turns.

A lot of guys in your area ride local shaper: SCHOELKOPF

[albumimg]18030[/albumimg]

[albumimg]3961[/albumimg]

Hawaiian Shaped BLASTS:

[albumimg]22150[/albumimg]

and Flashpoints:

[albumimg]22495[/albumimg]
TC

Post by TC »

HB you may have the option of setting up your board with FCS fins in both the old school “what you know” fin placement and the modern fins forward placement. I have the old school fin placement on a Freeline quad fish and have played with fin size but wish I would have done the option of fins forward also to try it out. The best I can do is to pull the two back fins on the quad and go twin when the surf is smaller. That sort of mimics a fin forward placement, close but no cigar. I like the look of Parks KBs but he is down under. John Mel/Freeline is in Santa Cruz and makes beautiful boards. Just to let you know Bruce Jones has been shaping some KB’s also. Good luck with your search and keep your options open. Cheers TC
Huntington State

Response to my requset for updating me

Post by Huntington State »

Wow...Very helpful and the comradery all kneelos have is awesome!
I think it boils down to your expierence and the type of waves you ride and then finding the board that best fits your style .
The reason I put this post up was to hopfully find some feedback on these new board styles..as I drive up to check out the morning surf I'm at awe at these guys surfing (standup) these little rocket launchers. It imulates exactly the way I want a board to perform. Fast off the take-off, quick response off the turn and the way these little rocket launchers gererate speed with minimal effort amazes me. I don't see near the amount of kneelos as I used to and the ones I see are more stylish type of kneelos ..not using any hands on the rail..kind of free style. For me I'm more of balls to the wall...Late take offs...as far back behind the peak as possible ...way down the line...speed..speed speed...and more speed off the bottom. I know jack about board selection but do know how I want a board to perform. The fishes we rode were suitable for all types of styles but these little guns are their riding (standup) are something I'm drawn to. The newer boards on here are truely awesome, and I really like the Austrailan board designs very nice. So...has anyone riden a kneeboard designed like thes rocket launchers... gunny nose, multi fins? tail type? Thanks again
maxb

Post by maxb »

State , give me a call, Max
714-904-6240

P.S. I still think we should have board swapping heats at the contest 8)
sorry State this is a little off topic :oops:
kbing newport
Kev

Post by Kev »

budgie wrote:Dont listen to so called modern theorists on the sport or you will be riding 6ft plus boards x 3inches thick and be wearing webbed gloves and ...............
AND FLIPPERS !!!!!
:D

and don't forget the suncream and ZINC across the nose and lips
and a HAT
8)

and yes do have fun and experiment

6'1"
24" - Nose 17" Tail 17 3/4" (perhaps more)
2 7/8" dam ... should have been 3 inch
Last edited by Kev on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Post by Scott »

For me I'm more of balls to the wall...Late take offs...as far back behind the peak as possible ...way down the line...speed..speed speed...and more speed off the bottom. I know jack about board selection but do know how I want a board to perform.
Oh, if that's what you want, to really, really go fast, the answer is clear...

...get a Blast board!
budgie

Post by budgie »

I agree Red knows his stuff and can put it altogether to surf great, to put this in context though........

HS asked a question about boards because he hasnt surfed in 25 years.

So if his twin fish is slidding and the fins are are about 10 to 12 inches from the tail, Im guessing

a 3 fin with side fins at 18in and rear at 9in like the typical 3 fin modern board, it makes sense that FOR HIM it would slide. At least at the begininng.

My last board a 3 fin with side fins at 13in and rear at 6in is a great board, however making the switch back to Forward fins was a sliddy affair till I got used to it again

I am not asking anyone to agree with me, because of the constant snipes at my point of view, it is obvious many do not.

The point is as HS stated in a later post that he loves late takeoffs and going deep and fast.

Yes modern forward fin boards can do this, so can fins back.

There are numerous posts on this subject HS, if you are interested, all different sorts of opinons.

Good luck
Last edited by budgie on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

eqKneelo wrote::roll: Not if you can surf.
Hey HS, the guys in the photos EQ put up are ... well, they're pretty much the state of the KB art at present. And there's that old adage about everyone looking good in perfect waves ... and those are perfect waves, but even so, EQ has a point.

After 25 years not surfing, don't expect that ANY board is gonna allow you to instantly do the things the guys in those photos are doing. Only one thing will help: water time. Get out there as often as you can. Surf with other kneelos as often as you can , make a few new friends and ask for a ride on other people's boards. When you figure out what you really need from a board find a good shaper near you who can understand what you need and make you something you'll be happy riding. Then make him happy by giving him an order. If you get to watch the board take shape you might even rediscover stoke you last enjoyed ... a long time ago.