George Greenough's thoughts on nose configuration.

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

MJ
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

George Greenough's thoughts on nose configuration.

Post by MJ »

Interesting article from Swellnet on George's thoughts on the pointy nose surfboard.

http://www.swellnet.com.au/surfpolitik. ... 220110.php

Click on the link near the end of the article to read his letter to the editor. Note the swipe at SUP boards at the end of the letter.
Andy
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Andy »

Cool.......on all my boards, the last thing I do (before sending it off for glassing) is to cut off the tip (about 1") and round it off. You only gotta get stabbed in a#$%e once to become a believer :oops:

Andy
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

Pointed noses on surfboards has been a contentious topic for a long time. Perhaps also very relevant that the injury precipitating this discussion happened at probably the most crowded surf spot on Australia's East coast, if not the entire country. This is not the first time this type of injury has happened there either: it happens at least a couple of times each summer, but just happened to make the local rag this time.

The Pass is a nightmare: perfect little waves and a cast of hundreds, mostly backpacking holidaymakers fresh from the surfschool, who are all able to walk straight into the line up. I know Dave Lawrence, whose letter advocating the use of Gath helmets precedes GGs in the Echo. He's not the only one who always wears headgear when surfing the Pass. He also rides a board with a fairly rounded nose a lot of the time.

Interesting that both Dave's son and mine prefer to surf the back beaches unless the Pass is over 4 ft, when paddling ability becomes an essential requirement for accessing waves.

I think the last time GG was seen at the Pass was sometime in the mid sixties.
ross

Post by ross »

um, funny that George is pushing the round nose angle. When you consider that that particular injury was caused by a kook on a longboard. Which I would assume does not have a pointy nose on it. :lol:

Unfortunately for the kids nowadays there is a huge number of selfish,clueless adult beginners overtaking lineups on tiny days that used to belong to the grommets.

I know that everyone who isn't a local somewhere hates all locals,but, that kid belonged out at the pass that day, he lives in the area and has surfed 5 of his 10 years in existence. The kook who hit him on the other hand, should have been around at Wategos in the mush,learning to handle their equipment.
albert

Post by albert »

ross wrote:um, funny that George is pushing the round nose angle. When you consider that that particular injury was caused by a kook on a longboard. Which I would assume does not have a pointy nose on it. :lol:
I found that funny too Ross...

I think there are many causes to this problem, and if you read the original article and the comments posted by people, youll see why a lot of those problems exist.
ross

Post by ross »

Yeah Albert I did read the original article and some of the piss poor responses.

I don't subscribe to the "no-one owns the break, waves belong to everyone" way of thinking.That mentality, is what is leading to the state of anarchy some lineups are suffering.

I find myself longing for days past when people earned their waves through time in the water and beginners were under ten years old.First signs of me becoming a dinosaur perhaps?

:lol:
crippler

Post by crippler »

gg is spot on i reckon probably not to relevant to kneeboard design as our boards are much rounder anyway.but the hyper boards of today are very much looks based as much as performance.but really if ya not willing to come out of the ocean potentially injured then dont participate in a potentially dangerous sport!!! design regulation on boards is laughable and grading surf breaks like ski runs wow thats gonna help,not!
Call me what ya like ,screw them all i dont wanna share my ocean with anyone not even you lot!!!! your spot on damo its that anti localism thought pattern thats lead to the sad demise of the respected pecking order across the world.the rules don`t exist anymore and if some older statesmen tries to explain or inforce these rules a bunch of blowins give you the same speech,you don`t own the ocean,I just wanna share,or i have as much right to ride these waves as you,well suprise you don`t so f@#& off!!!!!!! anyone surfin the pass is putting themselves at serious risk its the kook capital of the universe!!!!!!!
ezak

Post by ezak »

Yeah... yeah... yeah...
get the blood flowin, pump some fists
:lol: :lol: :lol:
surf with soul
cake

Post by cake »

For Ross.
That logic only works if you only surf one spot. As soon as you go somewhere else, you are using "the waves are for everybody" logic for yourself, you can't have it both ways.
I live in an area that has a lot of "locals only" breaks. Although I surfed these places in the early 60s-90s I am not now part of the "crew" and not welcome. These guys want to keep these places for themselves. What frosts me is that they talk about surfing spots up and down the coast, and think it is their right to do so. If, on one of their surfs outside their local, someone were to question where they were from, these guys are quick to respond that " NOBODY tells me where I can and can't surf".
Can you have it both ways?
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

8) So........everyone should stay home? right? You all first. OK? :wink:

and while we are at it ...GiGi needs a make over, dude that hair cut went out with? , um with? ....ahhh it was never in!!!!
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
ross

Post by ross »

Ezak :lol:

Cake, fair argument you have there. I know all about San Pedro locals :shock: Some of the carparks down that way don't feel safe let alone the lineups. Talk about stink-eye.

I'm willing to venture that fracture of sorts in your local scene when a guy of your experience is being pushed out. Those guys should know your face and afford you due respect.

As far as having it both ways, to be honest, there are waves that I like the look of but wouldn't bother with because the local crew behave just the same as we do and that doesn't bother me in the slightest, its just how it is.
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

crippler wrote: your spot on damo its that anti localism thought pattern thats lead to the sad demise of the respected pecking order across the world.
For god's sake Man ...........Don't drag me into this .....It's way too heavy

:lol: :lol: :lol: