padded decks

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Jeff Wallis
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jeff Wallis »

swheeler wrote:Pendo pads would be great if you live where he installs them, but otherwise, the Mccray ones are great, and only $40. There is also a guy in Costa Mesa who is very competitive. No sense dissing anyone about this, serves no purpose. Pendo would say the same.
Thanks! I talked with Steves wife on the phone about the entire process he uses when making his boards. Sounds like good old surfboard making at its finest. Im basically looking for some glue on or pads that have adhesive already.

Being 51 my old ass knees cant take the beating they could when I was 17 and a knee boarding fanatic!

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Imperial beach. Gnarly stuff. Surfed the sloughs long time ago.
big rock, class of 73
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Jeff, for an off the shelf, peel and stick pad, take a road trip up to Newport and stop by the Froghouse and pick up one of Romo's pads.
--------------------------------------------------------------
No Kneemo, they don't have wings, but they are thinner than most other pads.
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

swheeler wrote:Imperial beach. Gnarly stuff. Surfed the sloughs long time ago.
Can be with the right conditions! Surfed the Boca Rios shorebreak and the outside notches when it was going off and not to crazy!

Nothing like gettin shacked in a big thick grinder that you could fit a VW beetle in lol!!!

The surf was really good there on Black Friday this year but I was behind the camera and not on my board.

Gotta try to build up that (17) year old confidence level again lol!

Or maybe I was just flat ass crazy and didnt care back then. When I get hammered now it hurts for weeks!!!

Ya ever wanna come down when it gets good, keep in touch and maybe we can hookup for a kneelo session!

Jeff
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

KenM wrote:Jeff, for an off the shelf, peel and stick pad, take a road trip up to Newport and stop by the Froghouse and pick up one of Romo's pads.
--------------------------------------------------------------
No Kneemo, they don't have wings, but they are thinner than most other pads.

Thanks Ken!

Might be headed up that way next week. Taking my truck to Camburg Racing in HB and gonna try to get down to the beach and shoot some surf pix!

Thanks for the heads up on the "FROGHOUSE"!!!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

swheeler,

Here is a shot of a sponger I shot droppin in on a inside shorebreak wave at the Sloughs earlier this year.

Jeff
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Nice little hook. I remember surfing it a few times in the mid 70s, dawn patrol, and a lot like that, fast short barrels. Reminds me of silver strand or baja malibu.
big rock, class of 73
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

Just saw your invite Jeff. I will do that. I usually go to SD about twice a year to hang out with me homies, but they are drinking more, surfing less, so prefer to still surf more. Thanks for the invite. I surfed with a kid at campus point a few times from IB. UCSB student. He said it wasn't unhealthy if you knew where and when to surf it. Has it cleaned up any there since the new treatment plant?
big rock, class of 73
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

swheeler wrote:Just saw your invite Jeff. I will do that. I usually go to SD about twice a year to hang out with me homies, but they are drinking more, surfing less, so prefer to still surf more. Thanks for the invite. I surfed with a kid at campus point a few times from IB. UCSB student. He said it wasn't unhealthy if you knew where and when to surf it. Has it cleaned up any there since the new treatment plant?
I gave up the juice 26 years ago so Im with ya on that one! I wanna get as much surf time in be for I check outta this here planet and go surfin elsewhere!

Yeah give me a shout! Shoot me a pm and I will give ya my number. And you can shoot me a pm or e-mail at ibsurfing1976@yahoo.com

Water is usually pretty clean. Only bad times are right after a big rain storm for a few days. Other than that its usually GTG!

The outfall pipe takes all the pretreated stuff from this side of the fence out a few miles but the deal on the other side of the fence remains the same old CRAP if ya will.

Hopefully someday they will get their act together, but then again TJ was never meant to have that many peeps and the infastructure cant handle what they put out!

Give me a shout sometime bro!!

Jeff
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

that bowl is freakin' sweet
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

kidrock wrote:that bowl is freakin' sweet

Thanks Bro!

Cmon down sometime and lets hit it!!!

Jeff
swheeler

Post by swheeler »

You got it. I am going to Troncones for the first time in late April, then hope to get to SD in the next month or two. I'll shoot you a line.
big rock, class of 73
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

swheeler wrote:You got it. I am going to Troncones for the first time in late April, then hope to get to SD in the next month or two. I'll shoot you a line.
Cool sounds good! My days available when not caring for my Mom are Mon, Wed, Fridays!

I got 3 weeks in Todos Santos in December. First time there ever and going with a group of standup and paddle surf guys from here in IB.

Im gonna be doin more PHOTOG work but try to get in the water and kneelo as much as possible!!

Jeff
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

can't wait to see some of your work at the local breaks during late summer and fall. That place will be rocking.

Are you familiar with that summer break in north 'Nado? (The name of the place sounds like a Discount Mall, or the end of the Tijuana Treatment Plant. :wink: ) That place FIRES...would really like to see a couple quality shots of that place going off.

Probably coming to SD this summer and fall. I'll give ya a PM before I shoot out.
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
sarj

Post by sarj »

swheeler wrote:Pendo pads would be great if you live where he installs them, but otherwise, the Mccray ones are great, and only $40. There is also a guy in Costa Mesa who is very competitive. No sense dissing anyone about this, serves no purpose. Pendo would say the same.
Who is the guy in Costa Mesa?