fish or round tail

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

zerk22
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

fish or round tail

Post by zerk22 »

I'am looking at two 5' 10" Blast quads, one round tail the other a fish. Any ideas, coments about ride charactoistics. looking for a loose board for smaller SoCal surf, the occasional tube. Thanks.
GoonRider13

Go Fish

Post by GoonRider13 »

I have a BLAST it s 5' 6 22 wide Fins glassed in It s a standard Fish with a slight wing bump. I love that board. I ve put that thing on Burn! It s like a girlfriend that never sez no! The only time it slides is when I want it to. It only does what I tell it to do. Before my blast I had a Romo round pin tail. That board "the romo" Allways left me...Like a girlfriend that only wants it when your not around. BLAST fish is a safe choice I only wish i had a New one done to my specs. Good Luck with that!
Lower your standards Raise your average.
Negative Attention Is Still Attention
Bob
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bob »

Bud could answer that better than anyone since he made both boards.
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

I have a Blast 5-10" x23 1/2" Dbl. wing rounded pin w/FCS. Great board, good in large or small surf , turn initiation is very smooth and easy due to the rnd. pin design. That having been said, I have heard nothing but crazy good reviews of Buddy's F2K Fish ( my next board as soon as I sort out some bills this month ) The Fish design keeps a longer section of rail in contact with the wave face for planing and combined with the wider tail area gives you more leverage and energy return when you come off the bottom. The typical complaint with Fish is that although fast , they can be a bit stiff and suited more for just down the line speed surfing. Bud has solved this on the F2K by moving the quad set-up further forward ( comparable positioning to the round pins ) and I think, adding a touch in the rocker. The guys that ride em say they go the speed of heat and turn very well. If I was about to paddle out , even on a very soft day , I'd grab that one. If the Fish you're considering is not the F2K but the Fish Hybrid ( fins further aft and flatter rocker ) check with Buddy and see what he would recommend, he's the master.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

not to oversimplify things cus everyone made good points but i would go with a round tail for fatter slower waves. the F2K is the sh&t. Bud's building me a big wave F2K now but they still need a bit of juice to really fly.
why not buy both? :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
rooster

Post by rooster »

Good point Rock. Double your boards double your fun 8)
Can you take your VOG back now :evil:
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Rooster,
dude...its so funny. up here in North Kohala we're vog free. while Oahu looks like LA
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesus said to share! :idea:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

You need a couple boards to have a good quiver and piss off the misses.

Yeah the vog is unreal and now with heavy rains probably acid rain, no wonder the top of my truck is melting! Pray for trades.
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
rooster

Post by rooster »

Scott,
I swear there were ashes on the roof and hood of my truck, then it rained and it looked like someone grafittied my truck.

Oh yeah, wide fat round tails for sloppysurf.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Zerk22 What board did you get and why?

Told the wife I am looking a a new board and now I have tail questions too. :roll:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig