Question about Future Vectors

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Question about Future Vectors

Post by Jimputz »

I recently added a couple Future fin boxes to my Parkes thruster to ride it as a quad. We used the same tight fin cluster measurements common with Dave's quad fish. I use Future Vector II's in the front, 1. because Future sells a lot of them and I don't know any better, and 2. because they're kinda cool looking. The shaper who was installing the boxes mentioned that the serious inside concave on the Future Vectors will cause unwanted turbulence in between the front and rears because of their close proximity to each other.
I know there's an enormous wealth of knowledge/experience out there so I thought I would just ask. Does this make a difference and is it better to use a flat foil forward fin in this situation?
Always looking to increase board performance in any way I can. Faster is always better I say.
I will load a picture of this board in the album.
Thanks,
Jim
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Puttzy-
Howzit going?
Improving on Daves designs eh?

I have used the vector fins on a couple of stand up boards with good results (Fish type) never tried them on KB's (mine don't have future boxes)
The ones I used (V 1 3/2) look like they were bent inthe middle, made the board much faster - but seemed to stiffen it up also.

I am no fin or board design expert, but I think location of the fins with regards to each other would affect it more than the shape of the inside surface. (If the positioning is correct a flat or concaved fin would function well)

I say try it, especially if you have the fins available - let us know how it goes

Norton
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

Front set inside foil or flat inside, larger fin , rear set flat inside [ this will make the board turn sharper or crisper. or 80/20 [ softens up you turns a bit] try and get a fin with a larger tip area on both front & back this will give you more drive if your into power turns, smaller tip - quicker release.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Jimputz, good post, interesting thread, curious to hear from others who've tried the different Vector fins. I have a used 6'-2" Flashpoint fish quad with Future Vector II FJC1 460 fins front and Future quad 340s rear. The fins are positioned close together like the Parkes quads ( most of the pics I've seen of other quads Bruce has done the fins are a little further apart), and it is a sweet ride with no sign of turbulence or excessive drag. If I'm understanding the Futures design, the compound/ inside foil will actually REDUCE the separation of the waterflow from the inside face of the fin ( that's what causes turbulence) and instead allows it to roughly match the flow on the outside face, re-joining smoothly, with a minimum amount of closure drag, at the trailing edge of the foil. Should be fine , even better than a regular fin.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Jimputz, I have yet to come across a dud fin from Futures. The people who design them know what they're doing. So does David Parkes.

Fin experimentation is fun and a lot cheaper than buying a new board, although the best outcome usually feels like you bought a new board.
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
RMcKnee............love Dave's boards. Have 4 of them. My thruster felt like a brand new board when I put the quad boxes in. Totally different ride of course, and more what I'm accustomed to.
Fossil Man.........thanks for the early morning chuckle. Your comments on my board pics were hilarious. You should do standup. And, you explanation on water flow through the vector foil makes perfect sense. Of course.......why would they develop a high performance template that causes turbulence? I'm going to explore the website a bit more. Thanks again for the info. Made my day.
JACKSON

so

Post by JACKSON »

what are the dims on the parks fin setup . building a new kb and would like to try something different
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

Rears 12.5 "
Fronts 17.5 "
Measurements from the roundpin. Back of fins.
JACKSON

how

Post by JACKSON »

how far apart
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

2 3/8 "
Center to center.
Fossil Man

DP Fin measurements

Post by Fossil Man »

Jimputz how does that measurement work, is it 2 3/8" from centerline of front fin to a line projected foward from the rear fin ? What's the toe-in like on Dave's quads and are they true parallel or is the rear angled slightly more straight ? Been considering different quad positioning theories as I'm adding a trailing set to a used Glen Minami kneeboard ( 6'-0'' x 24" tri-fin swallow ). Only wish the front set were Futures.
Thanks,
Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Fossil - need to add Parkes to your list.......