H2 FCS TEST DRIVE

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

quadfin
Legend (Contribution King!)

H2 FCS TEST DRIVE

Post by quadfin »

Anyone tried these babies? Just test drove a set of the Large on some pretty crappy small surf and they had surprising drive on my 5'10" bump wing swallow Flash. Actually got unintended air as these things go vertical quick.

Anyone had experience with them and especially the Medium H2. No Meds available here for test drive and don't want to waste a $100
Surf Hard Live Slow
weirdo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by weirdo »

Hey Quadfin,
I bought a set of H2's a few years back (large). Seemed ok but didnt find anything to remarkable about them. What I did find is they snap easy! My right one ripped out doing a cutback! Ive since seen quite a few on shoreline so must be a manufacturing fault which cant handle that 10 degree Cant.

Cheers

W
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

weirdo wrote:Hey Quadfin,
I bought a set of H2's a few years back (large). Seemed ok but didnt find anything to remarkable about them. What I did find is they snap easy! My right one ripped out doing a cutback! Ive since seen quite a few on shoreline so must be a manufacturing fault which cant handle that 10 degree Cant.

Cheers

W
Wondered about the strength factor. Thanks.
Surf Hard Live Slow
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

i got a set of mediums they are ok but i don't like the foil in the rear fells a bit soft would prefer flat inside foil other than that they do release quick but lack the drive i like.
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
wanderer
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by wanderer »

yes i have used them & thought they were great
mine were carbon fiber & snapped off at the lugs after a few weeks
they were the large size the other pair tore out the plugs on a bottom turn
a bit of an expensive habit
i have all of my fins glassed in now
scott
mark ricketts

Post by mark ricketts »

I've never had a problem with them except getting them back after lending them to my mates!!! mind you, I'd be spewing if they did break.

none have ever broken and they have been in 2m+ samoan surf one day when I forgot my big fins. they have also scraped the reef on a small day at kavieng recently - no drama.

I've got the large, medium and small and just play with them on small days...big forward...big back... little and medium...till I'm totally confused....

I do find they seem to rock up onto the rail easier, maybe because of the cant, but my comparison is large swept back flexies like the Larry Mabile twinzers from FCS and Dave Parkes twins from Shapers which I prefer when things get more serious. Not surprisingly, the H2's don't have the same drive but pivot well (I'm on a large wide Parkes quad).

as for whether they are worth the money....I got mine on special and I like playing with fins.
diga
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by diga »

>
Last edited by diga on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halbs

Post by halbs »

Hey Diga I have looked at the revolution fins before as another option but 90% of their fins are only rated to grommets up to 60kgs have you had problems at all snaping fins etc or is their recommendation conservative because even the stiffer fins they advise up to 80kgs? Keen to hear your exp. as wouldn't mind giving them a go, cheers Grant.
getting there is often as good as getting there
diga

Post by diga »

>>
Last edited by diga on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

diga wrote:
halbs wrote:Hey Diga I have looked at the revolution fins before as another option but 90% of their fins are only rated to grommets up to 60kgs have you had problems at all snaping fins etc or is their recommendation conservative because even the stiffer fins they advise up to 80kgs? Keen to hear your exp. as wouldn't mind giving them a go, cheers Grant.
Hi Grant – Your right in saying the fins are rated @ 60kg (Poly Carb) & 80kg (Glass Fibre)

I think these “Ratings” are for the Tri fin set.

A compairable FCS fin is the M5

If you need more info - Bernie@evolutionxyz.com - can help there.

I 'm 80kg and use the Poly Carb on my quad with no problems.

I've used them in a 5-6 foot lumpy surf on my slab (5'5” x 22 ¾ -square tail 12”) with no problems.

I was using FCS M5 Front and GX rear.

The Evo's offer Very Good stability + Drive through turns (this was hard to maintain with the slab using the M5's)

I'd even have a go with them in 8' clean surf - Using the Glass Fibre set

The Evo's haven't given any problems – I've had them for over a year.

Canted fins are a great step forward. ProBox being the ultimate system.

http://www.proboxhawaii.com/index.html

And they have a wide range of fins- which are well priced

I hope I've helped

Cheers

Diga
Thanks. Any kneeboard shapers out there using the Probox?
Surf Hard Live Slow
diga

Post by diga »

>>
Last edited by diga on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emu Legs

Post by Emu Legs »

Bob MacTavish has a new fin box that i think that you can pivot and do something with the cant :?:
diga

Post by diga »

>>
Last edited by diga on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Continuing to test drive the H2 large. l like the quick acceleration that I need for the small waves I ride but don't like the longer arc on the cutback. Going to play with smaller trailers to try to fine tune.

Saw an MR "super twin" in a shop and noticed that he uses high cant box sets on his drive fins. Guessing 10 or maybe 12 degrees cant. Like the concept.

Thanks for all the input on this thread.
Surf Hard Live Slow
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

diga, i've been using custom fins sets with different tab placements to get around the lack of fin positioning for years, the pro box system is what i've been waiting for, that small amount of adjustment to the fin position can make all the difference, especially for kneeboards where you don't have the ability to transfer your weight as easily as a stand up. Makes one board usable in short peaky surf and points. In my boards iv'e been using FCS Fusion plugs that give you a few mil of adjustment anyway but with this pro box option it will make setting up fin positions so much better for the surfer to tune their board for the way they surf. Like going back to fin boxes without the weight problem. AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!