solareze zerovoc uv cure resin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

offroadbob
Local (More than 25 post)

solareze zerovoc uv cure resin

Post by offroadbob »

has anyone used this, and does it hold up?
kidrock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kidrock »

I would use Solarez if I were on a surf trip in the boonies and I needed to patch up a pretty serious ding and there was no other alternative. Otherwise, IMHO, the stuff doesn't hold a candle to good ol' fashioned resin & catalyst. I wouldn't use it unless I absolutely had to...
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
rooster

Post by rooster »

I used it once in Costa Rica cause we were in the jungle down by Malpais, but I fixed it proper when we got to Jaco. Or as I like to call it, Encinitas South :lol:

I have to agree with the big fish with the funny teeth above this post 8) :idea:
K-man

Post by K-man »

I assume it has chopped glass in it.Works fine on small fractures or small dings.Better yet,go to the hardware store.{3''x10') roll of Aluminum tape with a peel off back.Take it off the roll,fold it up.Takes up no space,and it's very light.Totally waterproof,and very strong.Indispensible on any trip.I've stuffed cotton in a few horrendous holes,coverd with the tape and continued on.
Only one problem.....It's shiny!... :lol: A marking pen works ok.

Cheers
offroadbob

Post by offroadbob »

thanks for the input
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

k-man's aluminium tape is awesome for running repairs.

There is no problem strength wise with UV cure resin. Everybit as strong as regular polyester resin and catalyst (it IS polyester and catalyst). For most dings though, you do need to put glass over the filled area to make it water tight.

The prob with solarez is its so expensive. Much cheaper to buy some resin, some UV catalyst and some filler, and package them up your self in small bottles and keep a little packet of glass.

Better still, get some 5 min clear epoxy resin, a small packet of q-cells and and a small packet of glass. Although epoxy and polyester aren't the best of friends, for dings it's fine and really convenient and cheap.
tomway

Post by tomway »

sorry offroad bob
I missed the 'zerovoc' part of your post - my bad.

Just googled it and solarez claims this IS epoxy resin. Sounds awesome. Interesting to see how it stands the test of time, but it would be revolutionary for eps shapers if its all it claims to be.
skeg

Post by skeg »

Slightly off topic, but, here goes. I've just rez-ed a ding on an old kneeboard. This is, the original glass finish is the thinnest matte job I've ever come across while the rez has a shiny finish. (UV cure Rez was applied with fingers in non-powdered surgical-type gloves.) How to get rid of the shine?
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

hit it with some wet and dry 1200
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!