Importance on Rails Design

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Huntington State
Local (More than 25 post)

Importance on Rails Design

Post by Huntington State »

How important are the rails. I'm about to have a board custom made and I was wondering if anyone could give me thier input on this.
I havent ridden a whole lotta different board but it would seem that the smoother or more rounded type of rails are better suited for mushy waves and also where you want to have a more looser board that slides thru the water where harder rails that have an edge to them are better for steep hollow waves that require you to hold that extra edge inside the barrel.
I'm thinking for this all round "go to board" I'm thinking soft rails in the center all the way up to the nose....and from the center down to the tail... a slight transition from rounded to hard rails especially where there in line with the fins...and then thinning hard down to the tail?...If you have any pics you could send me of your rail preferances it would be a great help as visualls are much easier to understand that a verbage.
Thanks
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

sounds like you don't need any help
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

rails

Post by frankfqr »

Wrong answer AB :wink: Let's stir the pot a little bit :twisted:. Huntington State, if your name tag is an indication of your location and roots, and hence style, then sharpen up and chine them babies. Get your arms up and flappin' and do all kinds of squiggling and pumping just to keep the board up on the face to deal with your minds perception of the new found speed and release and zippy freedom and bingos and whackin :!: .
On the other hand if you take curved rails back to GG's concepts, they were utilized to naturally seek an tap the faces prime power spot, holding the fall line. There in lies all the speed you'll need. Yeah I guess in mush they might be more forgiving but more in a transition state. There real value is there ability to hold a high speed line on fast walls and yes, deep steep barrels :idea: . I ain't preaching hull, just a mind set that incorporates the inherent power of a curved rail, theres a whole lot of other considerations in the over all foil.
But take my ramblings with a grain of salt :wink: , cause I'm just an old throw back, low ridding, rail grabbin, fins back, non "air" seeking kneeboarder with alot of wind in my face.
Good luck on your mission.
kidrock

Re: rails

Post by kidrock »

frankfqr wrote:Wrong answer AB :wink: Let's stir the pot a little bit :twisted:. Huntington State, if your name tag is an indication of your location and roots, and hence style, then sharpen up and chine them babies. Get your arms up and flappin' and do all kinds of squiggling and pumping just to keep the board up on the face to deal with your minds perception of the new found speed and release and zippy freedom and bingos and whackin :!: .
On the other hand if you take curved rails back to GG's concepts, they were utilized to naturally seek an tap the faces prime power spot, holding the fall line. There in lies all the speed you'll need. Yeah I guess in mush they might be more forgiving but more in a transition state. There real value is there ability to hold a high speed line on fast walls and yes, deep steep barrels :idea: . I ain't preaching hull, just a mind set that incorporates the inherent power of a curved rail, theres a whole lot of other considerations in the over all foil.
But take my ramblings with a grain of salt :wink: , cause I'm just an old throw back, low ridding, rail grabbin, fins back, non "air" seeking kneeboarder with alot of wind in my face.
Good luck on your mission.
+1...WOW. 8)
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
Huntington State

Rails

Hey Frankfqr....I appreciate your reply but I didnt understand a word you said ........
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

is there a manual or website that details all the steps necessary to be a really cool, lone wolf, super individualistic kneeboarding dude?
i'm always worred i'll slip up and not fit in with the really cool herd :idea:
i mean pack!
damn!!!!!!!! you see?
this exemplifies the real pressing need for some sort of manual outlining exactly what i need to do and say to fit in. us rad, no-nonsense individuals need to do everything the same so we can really stand out as individuals

8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Huntington State

Rails

Smokin Rock ..I with you brohimie...Ive always been a little slow when it comes to keepin up with the lingo...but on serious note .......Capt..are you interpeting displacement hull as to rails to bottom transition... ...If so...I can see how that would have a big impact on rail design since the water flow accelerates directly to the rails...especially on turns...
[/img]
skansand

Post by skansand »

bu bu but dont sharp rails release? round rails hold? -pot......
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

hs, i stand by my comment. frankfqr is right on about the "whackin" though :roll:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
red

Post by red »

I think there is some confusion between bottom line and rail line. Almost anything with a flat bottom will go like stink. How to do get it to turn?

Get the bottom line and deck line right and the rail foiling will take care of itself. Then just put some curvey bits to join the top and bottom. Hard at the tail bottom deck transitioning to hard at the nose top deck. Any reputable shaper will have a handle on this.

Don't over analyse it - concentrate on the outline and bottom line.
frankfqr

rails

Post by frankfqr »

You got it red, "Don't over analyze it". And even though in question form, skasand nailed it dead on, sharp rails release, round rails hold.
We can't all ride perfect, fast, steep, down the line waves all the time, but closely watch videos of basically all current designs, especialy watch the stand-ups. Those guys are pumping, pumping, pumping, they have to due to the inherent release built into the design.
Now translate that to your style and the waves you ride, sharper rails, chines, slight edge transitions faclitate ease of bustin loose the nose for a more verticle approach, quick transitions off the face and redirection. Sounds good, might be your goal, your choice.
At a cost, in mine (and many others) opinion. I always want my curved rails to hold as intended, steep down the line, high line speed, and especially the barrel, I want the rail to hold, hell, I can release the rail with just a slight weight adjustment at will. And engage it with a slight touch to the nose. I want that choice, not a rail that is only built to release regardless of what you do.
As mentioned before the over all foil completes the picture, and just rounding off the rails won't cut it, the shaper has to have that mindset from the first cut, it's not an afterthought. Good luck.
red

Post by red »

randiego

Post by randiego »

Yes, because we all know that everyday is down-the-line fast like Rincon, and steep and hollow and uncrowded like LJ reefs, so something to handle those conditions will be all we need. Our orthodoxy requires us to not have anything that might work in other conditions or for other types of breaks.

:roll:
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."