quad fin or three fin

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

shane23579
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

quad fin or three fin

Post by shane23579 »

need help on my next board, i own a 5'10" area pin tri fin, it goes awesome in most conditiond, ive owned it for 8 mths but took it out in 6ft down the line wave last week and it didnt go to good at all, so i will be ordering another board for around 6ft waves, i dont go out in much bigger, but considering a quad(never ridden one) can anyone give suggestions on what would be the best fin set up for 6ft waves?[/b]
crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

If you want something with more drive I would go for the further back setup for the rear fins.

My board -
album_showpage.php?pic_id=24396
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

It's not the fins... it's the shape.

You could probably use 6'1" to 6'3" Tri for 6ft waves.

If you switch to Quads, it is also entirely based on the shape.
Some shapers will suggest you go small and more compact (I know guys who's Quads get smaller as the waves get bigger... and they surf big big waves)... others will shape boards the same size as their tri-fin counterparts, just with 4 fins.

If you like the Tri, maybe you should stay with it and get a semi-gun compliment. Be easier to switch back and forth... and sometimes it's nice to ride a bigger board even when the waves aren't that big to deal currents or conditions.