New Kneeboard Shapes ?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Terence H
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

New Kneeboard Shapes ?

Post by Terence H »

Hello all , one is always reading of new refinements with Foot Board design is anything happening with Kneeboards ?
I do realize that a lot of "new" Foot Board designs are bullshit and just
there to generate sales.
Where are we going is anybody experimenting with anything new ?
Interested to see something thought provoking.

Regards
Terence
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: New Kneeboard Shapes ?

Post by albert »

Terence H wrote: Where are we going is anybody experimenting with anything new ?
I could tell you, but I would have to kill you...
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Don't tell him about the toilet seat, Albert :roll: ......that one's for around the campfire after a few beverages....
Terence H

Re: New Kneeboard Shapes ?

Post by Terence H »

albert wrote:
Terence H wrote: Where are we going is anybody experimenting with anything new ?
I could tell you, but I would have to kill you...
Go on Albert tell me , i feel pretty safe here in S.A
albert

Post by albert »

wolruss wrote:Don't tell him about the toilet seat, Albert :roll: ......that one's for around the campfire after a few beverages....
haha... for every one good idea there are a hundred or so failed ideas sitting in someone's garage!
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Terence, a fair few guys on this site thought this wouldn't work

album_showpage.php?pic_id=23668
album_showpage.php?pic_id=23665
album_showpage.php?pic_id=23664

it does, not that it's anything radically different apart from being not what most kneeboard flex tails have been in the past
AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
micko
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by micko »

and does it?
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Micko, yeah, better than i'd hoped for, heaps more bite and stability in the tail in critical sections, riding on the foam ball, bumpy walls. the flex gives it extra rocker when you load it up and then releases when you need it. I've surfed it in 3 - 6' so far and i'm liking it more and more, just need some 8-10' swell to really test it out. Al
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Terence-
Best bet is to start a dialogue directly with a Shaper... or with guys who ride a certain label, then share ideas offline. No one discusses " new refinements" on site anymore.
Best of luck, brother.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

i do, i like to share, and for the kiwi's out there thats share not sheer :lol:
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Yah i just wanted to get a some kneeboard discussion going , not really expecting people to share trade secrets :-)
As far as looking from a distance looks like at least kneeboard length seems to be coming down which i think is a good thing.
Looking at George Greenough's early Kneeboard riding what he was doing was easily as pleasing to the eye as what the best guys are doing today.
Maybe moving backwards before moving forwards again.

Recently being having a look at the speed that guys get out of their surf mats , and interesting to see George Greenough's input with the latest 4th gear flyer model , how can we get some of that without losing the ability to do tight turns. Maybe tinkering with the flex tail idea ?

My next board i think i will just play around with some ideas instead of just going with tried and tested.

Saying all of the above , please note with due respect to all of the excellent Kneeboard shapers doing brilliant stuff , in fact i would like to get a few boards from each of the shapers out there , just to play and test.

Cheers. T
red

Post by red »

The length thing is a progression. People are learning that length needs to compare to their height, strength and ability. GG's only 2 bricks and a tickey tall, so he can get away with a 5 something. It you're a head taller (you must be at least that, Terence?), then you probably need to match your height a bit, otherwise your knees end up near the nose!

Fewer fins are a good go for speed.
I've been toying with a small wave twinny idea for a few years, but have not got around to cutting it.
I'm going to eliminate fins completely once I start cutting on my own machine (early next year). There are some new things happening with holes through the board replacing fins but still giving direction and drive (unlike most finless currently around).

On a more conventional note I think there are good things being done with narrower boards (22" wide range), and that's something else I want to play with. Problem is - I'm just too happy with what I'm riding now (5lb, fast and loose)

I think that the next leaps are going to come from construction. We've been constrained too long by the limited approaches of laminating. Injection moulding, vac bagging, yarn spinning are starting to come together to a degree where it can be cost effective to do custom boards (imagine a board made out of honeycomb aluminium!). All of a sudden boards may not be limited by strength of material constraints. Lighter, thinner, stronger, faster.

Sort of a personal manifesto
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Dick Van Stralen had a lash at aircraft grade honeycomb Au and it died a natural death. You can go too light the same as you can go too heavy, if a board feels right then it probably is.
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

red wrote:Lighter, thinner, stronger, faster.
Ahh ... youth!
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

red wrote:The length thing is a progression. People are learning that length needs to compare to their height, strength and ability. GG's only 2 bricks and a tickey tall, so he can get away with a 5 something. It you're a head taller (you must be at least that, Terence?), then you probably need to match your height a bit, otherwise your knees end up near the nose!

Fewer fins are a good go for speed.
I've been toying with a small wave twinny idea for a few years, but have not got around to cutting it.
I'm going to eliminate fins completely once I start cutting on my own machine (early next year). There are some new things happening with holes through the board replacing fins but still giving direction and drive (unlike most finless currently around).

On a more conventional note I think there are good things being done with narrower boards (22" wide range), and that's something else I want to play with. Problem is - I'm just too happy with what I'm riding now (5lb, fast and loose)

I think that the next leaps are going to come from construction. We've been constrained too long by the limited approaches of laminating. Injection moulding, vac bagging, yarn spinning are starting to come together to a degree where it can be cost effective to do custom boards (imagine a board made out of honeycomb aluminium!). All of a sudden boards may not be limited by strength of material constraints. Lighter, thinner, stronger, faster.

Sort of a personal manifesto
Thats what i am talking about :-) shake the trees long enough !

Go Red.