QUAD FINS COMBO SUGGESTIONS

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

NIUHI GRIPS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

QUAD FINS COMBO SUGGESTIONS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

ALOHA KNEELOS!!!

AT THE MOMENT, I'M USING THE (BLAST TEMPLATES) WITH UNREAL RESULTS!!
JUST WONDERING IF THERE IS ANY OTHER GOOD FIN COMBO OUT THERE... :P
A HUI HOU!!!
JohnS

Futures FPS

Post by JohnS »

If you're using a Futures fin box, the Futures FPS (Pancho Sullivan) fiberglass fin set is nice for the front fins. It's very similar to the larger Blast templates as far as the amount of surface area, but is a little taller and also has built in cant which seems to loosen things up a bit. It's worked well for me (~225 lbs kneeboard surfer)

Here's what they look like:

album_showpage.php?pic_id=24502
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

I rather like my medium Cdrive and FCS GX as trailers combination. My 5'8" Parkes is really quick and loose with this combination.
album_showpage.php?pic_id=24592
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
loonylen
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by loonylen »

I'm running GAM's with GS trailers in my Tuck Classic Diamond tail Quad, the same as my thruster, after trying larger (mrtfx's) I found the GAM's are looser & now it rides more like my old Tuck's from the 80's a bit of controlled slide when I want it in mushie waves
tomway

Post by tomway »

Hey niuhi

The variety in quad board designs means everyone is running completely different sizes, positions, toe and cant.

From the little I've seen, blast fins have a load more area in them than the oz quad designs... but maybe less than some of the US quads (at least on the blast FISH designs I've seen). I'm guessing this is primarily because of tail width: more tail = more fin area to control it. I haven't seen any off the shelf fins that compare to the blast ones.

For what it's worth, on my current boards I'm liking M7's front and GX's back and I swap out the M7's for G5's when it's smaller.

Don't you love the fact that in kneeboards, every shaper does something completely different
8)
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

i love trying all different types and combo's, these newby's from fcs look promising, i like the rake, height and base, but it's the area through the middle of the fin that interests me, mixed with the [supposed] unique flex patten i'm hanging to test a set even though it looks like only thruster sets at present, i'll try and get a quad set of large fronts and small rears. Let you know
http://www.surffcs.com/en/products/fins ... large.aspx
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
tomway

Post by tomway »

AB those do look interesting
Are they foam core?
My experience with other fcs foam core fins is that they snap very easily. these look like they have a number of different materials tho.

If you're in australia these might be worth a look (tho i've never tried them so can't comment) http://www.shapersfins.com/quad.html

I've just bought a few sets of these fcs-like plugs too. They look interesting - allow a bit of fore-aft movement and don't need to be connected to the deck (something which always pissed me off about regular fcs plugs). They can also be installed pre-glass. I'm sure this is stronger. http://www.shapers.com.au/products/S%25 ... D-Set.html

Tom
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

tom, they have a foam core but with mix of carbon and kevlar, if you go to this fcs page there is a vid. of their construction http://www.surffcs.com/en/community/Videos.aspx
and if you check my web site i use shapers fins in my boards, also they have had some problems with those shapers plugs, if you use the fcs fusion plug system they come in one piece [ front and back plug joined] with that extra length in the slot and you glass over the lot which makes them one of the strongest plug systems on the market.
http://nativekneeboards.com/nativekneeb ... /HOME.html
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Strewth AB, kevlar fins! Good to know they're bullet-proof.
tomway

Post by tomway »

analbirth wrote:... also they have had some problems with those shapers plugs, if you use the fcs fusion plug system they come in one piece [ front and back plug joined] with that extra length in the slot and you glass over the lot which makes them one of the strongest plug systems on the market.
http://nativekneeboards.com/nativekneeb ... /HOME.html
bug9er :( I've just bought 40 plugs... any idea what the problem has been? I'll be using them in HD pvc inserts so hopefully that'll help some.

On your site looks like you use the fusions without inserts, but then I guess you're using denser eps (i'm only using 3/4 or 1#) and the carbon probably adds something :lol: beautiful boards 8)

Sorry to 'hijack' this thread nihuigrips!
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

tom, yeah the problems seem to be with the material or type of plastic they are made from, they have had some split, possibly a bit brittle, they were sorting it out. If you look at the fusionson the fcs site or i have some pics on my site of some sitting on a blank, they are mounted on a piece of h/d foam already, so you all set to go. They developed this system specifically for eps blanks
Howard Lorney

Post by Howard Lorney »

I've been running FCS SF4 Quad set on my boards and change at times to PC5's on front and GX trailing.

Was discussing my quad fin setups with a local shaper the other day and he suggested that GX should only be used as outside or leading fins and aren't suitable as inside trailing fins in quad set up. I have some G1000 centre fins that i can use but they are bigger and change the performance of the board. Personally I'm happy with the GX.

Any comments or suggestions?
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

howard, i used G5's with GX rears for years and had no problems with them
some guys don't know what they are on about, if they are working for you keep using them. I've been using some FCS TC Aqua line quads, the fronts have an inside foil and slightly more cant,and the rears are 80/20 foil and are set back on the tabs and are a fairly upright and small fin, i got them for my 6'1" 5 fin for bigger surf as they came as a 5 fin option, and as a quad set up they are unreal they have heaps of drive but turn hard and vertical and release nicely off the top without loosing speed. I've yet to try them in my 5'9" quad but when the swell drops a bit i'll give them a rev.

http://www.surffcs.com/en/products/fins ... -LINE.aspx
stevea

Fin combos for quads

Post by stevea »

When i couldnt get fcs plugs and didnt really see a template i wanted ,especially for the rear fins this is back a bit in time
I made my own, a relatively easy process
So i can now get fcs plugs but still havent seen a rear template i really like
Why well i like my rear fins about a third the area as the front ,but for my new board i decided to try out a larger rear set with the idea of being able to foil them down to suit bit by bit
Anyway for the few who may want to give home made a go here it is
Materials 2M 6oz
1 litre resin ,sheet of glass(recycled mine from a scrap heap) ,release agent (i used car polish)/Users/steveartis/Desktop/lay up panel.jpg
Method lay up 12 layers ,have a coffee
lay up the next 12 staggered from the centre line this saves materials and gives a rough foil
Tools jigsaw with a blade that will cut ceramics/Users/steveartis/Desktop/fins foiled.jpg
ideally a sander i had to make do with a grinder ,not ideal but it did the job beware it can tear flesh from the bone in a blink(dont blink)
Every picture tells a story so i hope these help
womble

Post by womble »

No Steve it does not ... there are no images to see ... stop teasing and play nicely ... :lol:

I liked the picture of your new board though ... and have a slight inkling that you may have a thing for the old double bump pin ... :shock:
You bin shapin dem puppies for eva ... 8)

I've re-foiled a few of the old black or white FCS's in the past ... works ok.

Using Powerbase fins in my latest board ... thanks Dave ... their onto something with this new design.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.