shaping balsa kneeboards

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

shaping balsa kneeboards

Post by Eric Carson »

I've got a friend who shapes regular surfboards and we are interested in seeing what would be involved in having him shape some balsa kneeboards. Does anyone know where we could get some balsa board blanks and what some of the design issues would be? Is anybody riding any of the old balsa kneeboards or remember getting the good vibe riding the wooden kneeboards? Any help would be appreciated.
tumak
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by tumak »

Eric,

I'm tumak, I'm new on this forum (and to the KSUSA), and I live in Indian Harbour Beach. It just so happens that this coming week (first week of June '03) George Robinson will be shaping my new balsa kneeboard. George has Ecuadoran family ties and access to the best balsa. He's a source for top quality balsa blanks, if that's what you want. I see you posted in April, so you may have already acted on this, but I'm right here if you want to see the board when it's done, or whatever. It's going to be something I call a "Spoonfish", 5'0" or 5'1"...slightly spoony and quite fishy! Ha ha! I've been riding a 4'6" prototype of this board in foam at Paradise Beach lately, during the Easter and Memorial holiday swells. Feel free to contact me...
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Hey Tumak,
When it comes to balsa, George is the man. Ive seen his boards in shops and in the water, I didn't know he shaped kneeboards. I won't attempt to shape, but my friend is a shaper and he's the one interested in doing a balsa kneeboard. I forwarded your post to him and he's going to give George a call.
I hope you got it good on those swells, lets get together for a surf sometime.
tumak

Post by tumak »

Hi Eric, As a regular longboard surfer, I was in to see George for some dingwork when I spied an old paipo in the corner. Turns out that he made it for his dad back in the 70s. I thought it was so cool that I asked him to make longer versions for my wife and me. I personally think they're good shapes for riding prone or kneelo style (which I just did recently for the first time). Observing what's going on with all of these big-time kneeboard shapers, it's obvious they're on a different track than George, or me for that matter! But I think they're cool, and in balsa I think one 5' long will be exceptional. But then, my riding is NOT INFLUENCED IN ANY WAY by stand-up shortboard surfing, but rather by classic style. In other words, I plan to make glide, the essence of surfing, my main theme. But, as a child of the 60s and early 70s, I like the idea of a twin-fin fish for quick turns. I tried to call you...there's an Eric Carson in the phone book, but he isn't you...if you'd like to cantact me I'm at 773-7943. I'd like to see a contemporary kneeboard sometime. I saw the pic you posted...looks like a FL wave, yes? Boardwalk? Ha ha. I'm planning to start riding these little boards down around the inlet. Have you been down there to First Peak at Sebastian with your kneeboard? -tumak
"Imprisonment in the contemporary is the worst of all intellectual tyrannies." -Weston La Barre
doc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by doc »

Balsa does indeed absorb water like a sponge or like the styrene foam that Point Blanks was using last year. If you ding one, get it out of the water most ricky tick, before it gets a chance to absorb any amount of water. Dry it very thoroughly.

The Point Blanks styrene foam, as an aside, also takes up water like a sponge but will pretty much drain if you give it enough time. Balsa, no. It was originally a tree with a much higher natural moisture content.

Balsa also needs to be treated nicely. Whatever small residual moisture remains in the balsa blank itself can cause major delams if the board is allowed to bake in the sun or something similar. A bit more on the subject at http://jfmill.home.attbi.com/dings/ding3.html#balsa

doc..........
tumak

Post by tumak »

Yep, balsa has drawbacks, but the plusses include its natural beauty and its spiritual "rightness." And, it's cool to ride something that smacks of the early days of surfing and our Hawai'ian roots. It just sort of feels Polynesian to ride balsa. I have many foam and fiberglass boards which I truly love, but sometimes it's really cool to put a lid on the plasticity, at least a little...anyone who's ridden balsa knows how good it feels. If I ding a balsa board, I get it out of the water IMMEDIATELY and take it to George. It comes back lookin' good as new.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Hey Tumak,
I'll call you Mon. night . We're about 5 minutes from each other, so you can come over any time and check out my new Blast, or maybe we can meet with George.
I surfed the Inlet two weeks ago DP, but I do most of my riding at Wabasso Beach (7 miles south of the Inlet) or the Boardwalk.