poor man's flexie

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)

poor man's flexie

Post by mark ricketts »

I noticed the other day that Mitchell Rae from Outer Island, the aussie flextail legend, has been making boards with two stringers. Each travels from the nose to around the forward fin in an upsidedown "V". he says this gives rigidity to the forward 2/3's and a degree of flex to the rear 1/3.

the idea is that it a cheap and cheerful way to get a flexie without the extreme costs of carbon and labour that the usual approach entails ( and "cheap" is my middle name).

No idea of performance or durability - anyone out there given it a go?
analbirth
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by analbirth »

they're not cheap
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
hart

twin stringer flex?

Post by hart »

:)

is this the vee stringer configuration you're mentioning?

[albumimg]3828[/albumimg]

:idea:

nothin' cheap about flex huh?
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
mark ricketts

Post by mark ricketts »

Bruce - sort of except the v is more so and exits around the forward fin - presumably giving more flex in the rear. very interesting board by the way - not sure my smal brain could cope with an assymetric board.

AB - "cheap" - I guess its a comparative thing - cheaper than the usual labour-intensive carbon panel and eva foam that is mitchell's other style of flexie.

I got one off him close to 10 years ago - beautiful board - and it cost over $1000 back then - not sure what he is asking now. Mind you, that board has death grip concaves and reef scars but the flex panel is like new. could be an ad for both Mitchell's immaculate construction and the longeivity of carbon fibre. still rides like a porche but seems to have shrunk over the years!!! :lol:
mark ricketts

Post by mark ricketts »

sorry - couldn't get my head around posting an image
here's the link to the outer island explanation of the "V2" concept.
http://www.outerislandsurfboards.com/v2.html
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yes, flex does come with a price: he asks an additional $500 for the flex tail on top of the standard price of $800 - $1000 for many of his boards.
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Mandala in the US do something similar only without the V configuration.

He uses a single stringer that tapers in thickness from the nose to the fins. The last foot is sometimes stringerless. I'm still not totally convinced about how much real flex this adds and at what expense to strength, but it looks neat.

The version I like most so far is probably crox's carbon kevlar stringerless 6 fin and quad boards (in the archives here). I doubt they're a labour saving or cheap option though :lol: :lol:

You're a lucky man to have an outer island. Mitchell Rae has to be in the top 10 shapers of all time, doesn't he?

Tom
KenM

Post by KenM »

Tomway, Rich Pavel uses the same disappearing stringer as Manny. I've talked to two guys that had them and both said that they couldn't feel any difference. But they both worried more about breaking them.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by analbirth »

you don't need stringers at all if you use the right materials, the natural tendency for a craft like a surfboard is to want to bend and flex, if you try to limit that flex by installing a stiff member [ vertical ply stringer] to stop them snapping then you naturally create a stress in that stringer every time you load it up which creates an inherent weakness that can only take so much before it gives.
Alternatives
You either use a horizontally laminated stringer made of something that has got heaps of flex and strength like say bamboo which has it's own drawbacks like excess weight or
you eliminate the stringer altogether and use materials like carbon cloth that has when laminated full longitudinal flex through the fibres therefore spreading the stress over a greater area allowing the board to load up and release without any adverse affects. And you can notice the flex
The only carbon stringerless boards that i have seen snap are the ones that are only using the carbon on the rails..... they just wont last AB
My take on how a flextail should be for a kneeboard i'll be taking this one to PI
http://nativekneeboards.com/nativekneeb ... XTAIL.html
Last edited by analbirth on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mark ricketts

Post by mark ricketts »

what you say makes sense AB and Tomway - particularly as we of the knees can't stomp on the back foot like the stand-ups. seems to me that a flex kneeboard needs a much longer flex panel than stand-ups.

"You're a lucky man to have an outer island. Mitchell Rae has to be in the top 10 shapers of all time, doesn't he?"
I think it was Albie Falzon who said he didn't have superannuation, he just bought Mitchell's boards instead!!!

Albie lives in Bali so I reckon I'm just as lucky to have a Flashie and a Parkes for those days that aren't the 6ft clean and hollow that the Outer Island loves....roughly four times a year here on the sunshine hoax!!! :lol:
HERBYJ
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by HERBYJ »

Interesting Bruce Hart/Flashpoint flextail for sale on Ebay. Looks to have a stringer right through the tail so I wonder how much the tail would flex.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kneeboard-Flex-T ... 2eb34e7ec4

Any thoughts?

Herby
HERBYJ

Post by HERBYJ »

An interesting foam flextail on this page:

http://pointconceptsurfboards.com/kneeboards

Herby
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

man that hart flexy would tombstone like a bitchh with that leggy plug so far up the board but a very nice board just the same but hey i love flextails