so how long is too long?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

viking
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

so how long is too long?

Post by viking »

just wondering what the veterans think is too long for a 6'4" 240-250 lb. gorilla?
NIUHI GRIPS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

ALOHA VIKING!!
MY WEIGHT IS 260lb. AND MY HEIGHT IS 6'0"

MY ALL-AROUNDER IS A 6'2" X 24" X 3" (MID VOLUME RAILS)
GOOD LUCK!!!
A HUI HOU!!!
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

Go BIG and with an EPS board for that extra float.
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

You can make it as long as you like and loosen it up by moving the fins forward and by grouping multi-fins closer together. Just when you go long and flatten rocker it's hard to get enough compound curves designed in for the board to turn off (because you can't keep adding width).

I have a 7'0" in progress for my 6'2" 160lb frame, but it's intended to be a gun (probably for days bigger than I have the heart to go out in :oops: ) so the straighter lines are balanced by increased rocker.

I would say go as short as you're comfortable with, and compensate by making it thicker. I'm getting nice lines on 6'2"x23" wide all-round boards The lines tend to straighten out a tad too much when I go longer.
viking

the reason i asked is that....

Post by viking »

i am in the process of converting my 20+ years of conventional standup surfing into kneeboarding as exemplified by my avatar photo

an injury has slowly forced me to modify my surfing way - slow to my feet

plus, kneeboarding is just plain fun

so i have yet to purchase a "kneeboard" but am really enjoying it on my 7'4" Mike Hynson fish which was my favorite standup surfboard

seems long, but i am really having a good time, and i still haven't worn my churchills yet - that is, i am paddiling in always

is that "wrong" :lol: ?
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Hey Viking.

I'm 6'4" 215lbs... my boards are all 24" wide, thick as possible, and range from 6'0" (for small crap) to a 6'10" that's being shaped right now. 8)
(And I'll probably be standing on the beach next to Red scared to go out. :wink:)

I stopped wearing fins a few years ago and I really enjoy it. It's easier to surf, you can stand if you want, and we're big enough... we don't need the weight and drag.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

nothing is wrong, if your having fun keep at it
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
viking

this response i like...

Post by viking »

eqKneelo wrote:Hey Viking.

I'm 6'4" 215lbs... my boards are all 24" wide, thick as possible, and range from 6'0" (for small crap) to a 6'10" that's being shaped right now. 8)
(And I'll probably be standing on the beach next to Red scared to go out. :wink:)

I stopped wearing fins a few years ago and I really enjoy it. It's easier to surf, you can stand if you want, and we're big enough... we don't need the weight and drag.
yeah, this is exactly where i'm coming from - California has had a brutally cold winter (for a Texan), and perhaps when the water warms up a bit i'll snap out of Old Man paralysis and continue to surf standup or whatever - but as ya'll know, kneeboarding is a blast, and had i known it years ago, i might have not waited as long - the boards i've alwyas favored for surfing have been big guy fish(kneeboard templates) anyway - thanks ya'll!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Bigger kneeboards make great stand-up boards.

4x World Champ Simon Farrer absolutely rips when he stands on his Kneelos.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Make sure you know where your fins will be. Boards with their fins back are usually not as long as those with fins up. Reread Red's post a few back. Seems important.

Most guys are riding "fins up" boards and love them for their looseness and performance. You yave been surfing and I assume kneeriding a "fins back" standup board. Some people do not like the "fins up" boards.

I only mention this because I did not see any posts mentioning it.
Everyone I know who rides fins up, says they love it but that there was a period of time they had to get used to it.
viking

all great info, thanks...

Post by viking »

Bob, i considered a lot of what you speak of

as a result, i took the rear 2 fins of what was intended to be a quadfin off entirley - so, it's a twin fin with the fins quite a bit farther up than most twin fin stand ups would be - and it works and i like it - big twin fin keels instead of a quad - plenty of drive and hasn't slipped yet - albeit i havent surfed in much bigger than 6 or 7 ft faces, but you do what you have fun in, and thats the bottom line i reckon

the classic hynson downrails help a lot too

it's a hynson black knight, btw

most of the resoning for me right now to be riding my old standup fish vs. a proper kneeboard is my financial status - everyone in California wants $400 down just to start a kneeboard - i can't even afford a used one, much less a $600-800 board!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Bob is 100% correct.

"Fins up" takes awhile to get used to when you grow up surfing fins back. Might be easier for a Stand-Up since you're used to getting your weight forward for drive.
And it's certainly not for everyone... depends on where you live and what waves you are surfing.

Keep and eye on this site, Viking. Lots of used boards For sale. Be able to pick up a proper Kneeboard (shaped by someone who rides them and understands them) for a less than $400.

Good Luck.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Viking, here's a suggestion. Tell us what part of California you live in (so that pickup can be arranged), what is your height/weight, what size waves you want to be able to ride your kneeboard in primarily and how much money you have to spend on a used board. I bet someone will make you an offer promptly that you can't refuse.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Great suggestion, Scott.

Lots of guys with HUGE quivers that need thinning. 8)
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

mdlynch wrote:I'm a big guy, I could use a REALLY BIG knee board. Do you think 6'10" is too big?
'll go out on a limb here and say thats too big. unless you're 6'6" tall and ride triple overhead surf with it. stick with 6'4" and under and work with the volume and width. it would probably be best to talk with a shaper and get a custom board. bigger boards can go suprisingly well even in smaller stuff but there is a limit...when it does'nt quite ride like a kneeboard anymore. i would say 90% percent of the guys here ride a 5'10" or a 6' board the majority of the time.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head