so how long is too long?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

JACKSON
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: KSUSA is a God send...

Post by JACKSON »

viking wrote:Man, you folks are cool

i am used to an extremely biased forum with folks who pooh pooh anything they don't have or haven't experienced

it's unfortunate

anyhow, i am really diggin' the different perspectives presented by all, and sincerely appreciate the open minded approach

kneeboarding is quite new to me, but i sure am having lots of fun, and that part of me which was afraid i was "regressing" from stand up to kneelowing as i age is fading with each fun session

thanks ya'll

Eric(6'4" x 250lbs. x stoked) :lol:
glad your on this site brah. these guys are very friendly and willing to help you out . ive learned a lot on this forum. i wish you were still in texas . i have a 6'6"/23.25/27/8 kb i would have sold you for 200. great shape .fins forward
viking
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by viking »

JACKSON wrote:

i am used to an extremely biased forum with folks who pooh pooh anything they don't have or haven't experienced

it's unfortunate

anyhow, i am really diggin' the different perspectives presented by all, and sincerely appreciate the open minded approach

kneeboarding is quite new to me, but i sure am having lots of fun, and that part of me which was afraid i was "regressing" from stand up to kneelowing as i age is fading with each fun session

thanks ya'll

glad your on this site brah. these guys are very friendly and willing to help you out . ive learned a lot on this forum. i wish you were still in texas . i have a 6'6"/23.25/27/8 kb i would have sold you for 200. great shape .fins forward
that sounds cool, i was there just last week but i couldn't have afforded the board fee to get it back here anyway - who shaped it? Texas shaper?

Matagorda is definately a kneeboarding wave....been going there since high school, but not recently
Last edited by viking on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JACKSON

Post by JACKSON »

viking wrote:
JACKSON wrote:

it's unfortunate

thanks ya'll

that sounds cool, i was there just last week but i couldn't have afforded the board fee to get it back here anyway - who shaped it? Texas shaper?

Matagorda is definately a kneeboarding wave....been going there since high school, but not recently
my shaper is terry davis from dickenson.he used to kb back in the 70s. kbed gorda just last fri. had a blast
viking

Post by viking »

JACKSON wrote:
viking wrote:
JACKSON wrote:glad your on this site brah. these guys are very friendly and willing to help you out . ive learned a lot on this forum. i wish you were still in texas . i have a 6'6"/23.25/27/8 kb i would have sold you for 200. great shape .fins forward

my shaper is terry davis from dickenson.he used to kb back in the 70s. kbed gorda just last fri. had a blast
i talked with Mike Doyle MDC pretty seriously about my next board, but have a few too many other financial priorities yet

i found a 5'6" x 23" x 3 that supposedly came from Greenough's old shop on Craig's list, but i haven't been able to get up to Ventura to grab it yet

i figured it'd be real good learner, even if it is a little small - but $150 for vintage can't be beat

http://ventura.craigslist.org/spo/2275922992.html
JACKSON

viking

Post by JACKSON »

the problem with footbord shapers is they really dont know that much about how a kb works unless theykb
viking

Re: viking

Post by viking »

JACKSON wrote:the problem with footbord shapers is they really dont know that much about how a kb works unless theykb
yeah, i considered that

have you heard of Ron Romanosky?
JACKSON

Re: viking

Post by JACKSON »

viking wrote:
JACKSON wrote:the problem with footbord shapers is they really dont know that much about how a kb works unless theykb
yeah, i considered that

have you heard of Ron Romanosky?
yep . a lot of folks like his boards. have you checked out all the old posts on the design forum . lots of valuable info
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Couple of guys emailed me wondering if Kyle's shapes hurt "drive" and "power".
I guess the simple answer is "Yes, probably."

But that's the curse of being tall.
Being tall moves your center on gravity up and away from your fins, it becomes really hard to tun in a tight arc. A couple of choices IMHO:

- Get low, like Jaime. (Anyone who hasn't seem him surf, it's amazing. Super aggressive, his face is literally inches from his deck, and he's always driving forward on the attack. Sick!)

- Go flipperless to get more pressure on the tail.

- Start creeping that center fin forward.
However, the board will start to loosen up quick, which is where the length comes in.

I think RED is spot on for starting out. It's exactly what I've done:
If you're OVER 6ft, Get a couple boards your height.

I'm 6'4". When my new boards arrive I will have:

- A fat 6ft Choptail for knee to shoulder high stuff. Tight cluster.

- A 6'4" All-arounder, made for 2' to 10" faces. Tight cluster.

- My 6'4.5" Green-Meanie semi-gun. The Epic Board for Epic Waves. Standard Cluster, but fronts are at 17". (Back 11" or 10")

- 6'9" version of my 6'4.5". A big fun cruiser for waves like Sunset Beach, Big Ocean beach, GIANT Santa Cruz. It's real fun to have a board that paddles insane, draws big long turns on huge walls, runs right through chop and trade winds, and can get you outta harms way when the clean-up sets come calling. Never gonna win on a contest on it. :wink:

The Chopper and Gun are specialty boards for certain conditions. The two 6'4"s would be the two boards I would take on a trip... whether it's Baja, Indo, or PR.

However, I can easily see, once I get these boards wired, my shapes starting to get shorter, and my clusters getting wider.
I just have to get better. :oops: :lol:
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

hey Viking,
where in california are you?
if you're in the san diego area i've got a kneeboard or two you can ride so you can compare them to your footboard.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

6'9" version of my 6'4.5". A big fun cruiser for waves like Sunset Beach, Big Ocean beach, GIANT Santa Cruz. It's real fun to have a board that paddles insane, draws big long turns on huge walls, runs right through chop and trade winds, and can get you outta harms way when the clean-up sets come calling. Never gonna win on a contest on it.

this is exactly why i like my bigger boards and i'll add one more....to run like hell to the channel (sometimes) :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

What do you mean, "Run like hell TO the channel"?!?!

The Channel is where I'm sitting. :shock: :? :oops: :wink: :lol:
griz

Post by griz »

Ed said
[quote]I think RED is spot on for starting out. It's exactly what I've done:
If you're OVER 6ft, Get a couple boards your height.

I'm 6' and jamie's bigger , I just don't get this reasoning . Matty G is no short arse and his quad is 5' 6" and he simply destroys everything . At the Worlds there were isolated examples of this long is better mind set no matter how big the gorilla was riding them .
I have a real problem these days with guys riding shorter surfboards than us kneelos!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Notice I said "for starting out", Griz.

And I'm just saying at 6'4" 215lbs, they are working well for me... guys bigger than me might find a sweet spot.

Jaime and MG are two of the best surfers in the world. They could ride anything they want. And I've noticed Sparrow's boards have gotten much shorter over the years.

But love him or hate him, Kyle was consistently the highest scoring surfer at the Worlds... and he's already got two titles in the bag.
That, as we say in the States, is "Scoreboard". :wink:
griz

Post by griz »

And that is what we say in Oz is "Uninspiring"
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

griz wrote:And that is what we say in Oz is "Uninspiring"
What is? Losing?