Small surf "mal-like" kneeboard?

What works & what doesn't and in what type of conditions. Got a "secret" only you and your shaper know???? Post it here... we can keep it quiet ;-)

Moderator: Moderator

Basswombat
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Small surf "mal-like" kneeboard?

Post by Basswombat »

I was just looking at the Parkes/Friar Tuck website and noticed he refers to a model that's a "Malibu style performance board. A board that goes like a long board, easy to paddle & planes well in small surf - but is kneeboard, not a long board." Sadly no pics on the site.

Sounds really interesting for small summer waves in Sydney but I'm intrigued as to what this kind of board would look like and what it's specific features would be.

Anyone have something like this? How does it go?
szrbloke
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by szrbloke »

Oh it used to be there on the site! Its a bit like a kneeboard Bonzer tri-fin and I believe a little longer than what you would usually ride. I was interested in one myself, but things didn't work out and I ended up sticking with a local shaper Bro Diplock and could not be happier. It wasn't that I didn't want to have the Parkes board, in fact its a dream to have a board or two from DP, but the £££ dried up totally.
all the best,

Scotty
mmanners
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Stubb baby

Post by mmanners »

Not sure what Dave has to offer, I'm sure it's good, but I have a Blast stub vector and it goes pretty well in mush and funky conditions.

Happy hunting, and Enjoy the Glide,
M2
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

DP has a formula to work out what is the best size board for you.
Mine is 6'4' x 25 3/4" x 3".If you want something to float you easy have a look at AB's Native boards or Express as they are doing EPS boards.
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Basswombat

Post by Basswombat »

szrbloke wrote:Oh it used to be there on the site! Its a bit like a kneeboard Bonzer tri-fin ....
The pic of the Bonzer tri-fin is still on the site, but it looks like that's different to the mal one to me as there is a Bonzer caption to the right of it.

Thanks for the tips folks, might give DP a call to discuss.
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

I think I know what you are asking about as I have one similar made for two foot and under.

The board is thick where it counts - but no too much in the rails.
The rocker is flatter than normal - the curve that you normally have in the rocker is translated into the planshape - courtesy of the wide point position and a smidgin extra width.

The board paddles so well it makes you lazy - and catches waves so well you won't have any mates who will want to surf with you.

Concept? Small waves have small areas to fit a board into - you can go fat and low rocker - but the board rails will catch - unless you go twinnie and never get it on the rail - but it will still catch.

You can go fat and higher rocker to keep the rails out - but the rocker will push water when you paddle - just what you don't need in small waves where a lot of your initial/total/aggregate acceleration is from the takeoff.

. So you t ake the curve out of the rocker and put it somehere else. You need to balance the rail hardness, thickness (and foil?).

Parksey has it down to a fine art. I'd highly recommend him.
Steen might have something to say too. He got good brains :)

edit here's a pic sorry about thei size. Dn't worry about the concave that's my thing///

bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Headwax,
are the fins clustered closer together than David's' "usual" configuration or is it my imagination? :?
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hi !

Ahh this was the board straight out of the wrapping paper. I was so excited I just put the fins in so I could take the pictures :)

It's hard to see but there are boxes in the front and fcs at the back. I ended up with front fins pushed all the way forward in the boxes.

So I think that as pictured, in answer to your question 'yes'!

But if I rode it like this it would have been too pivotal with not enough drive - as the fin bases being so close together wouldn't give a wide enough 'fulcrum' point to drive against.

I like to play with fin positions and the front boxes let me fiddle around a little more than ordinary fcs. Maybe they give more rigidity in the base as well?

It's interesting with quads because often if you push the front fin back the board will get looser as the 'apparent fin base' gets smaller
red

Post by red »

It's nice to see a board design discussion again.
If I ever get to building the grovel board I've had in plans for 5 years, it will be mostly what Headwax said, except I'm plumping for shorter than normal (5'8" as opposed to 6') and twinnies to reduce drag. No leash, fins, wetsuit or boardies should help, too.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hey Red, gee I was checking out your facebook page the other day - linked via Sydney Kneelos? Who knows....

Good that you are still as keen as ever and making your own stuff.
Yes it's a good idea to go short aye? Imagine the plan shape curves you could get out of a 5'5 by 25 " :)

Just a small joke. Yes going from 5'10 to 5,8 made a big difference to the planshape curve.

Interestingly my last board by Albert was 5'7! Things go in circles, just more refined each time they go around (hopefully) (I think I weighed 1 and a half stone lighter mind you)

Hope you are well. Great waves here today. One guy out ;)

cheers from newie :idea: